MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee 356-95-RF 9mm Red Dot

Boolit Mold

Lee 356-95-RF 9mm Red Dot

Hello All,

Firstly, thank you for sharing your knowledge here, I've lurked for years, but never posted.

I'm looking for Red Dot load data for the Lee 356-95 in 9mm for target / plinking.
    In an old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook I see a load from 4.0 - 4.9 for a 95gr Boolit. Mine are dropping at 98gr and .358-9 in diameter. They are loaded as dropped. All three guns slug at .355.

I loaded 3 rounds each for a Chinese Model 213, G17 gen5, and a Sig P938 at 1.01 OAL. Charges were individually weighed, and WSP's were the primer.
    Recoil seemed excessive in all 3 of them. In fact I alternated these and 124gr HST's and the recoil was the same if not more with the 4.0gr of Red Dot in the Model 213. The Model 213 had a stovepipe, and the Sig had 2 failure to feeds. Lastly, the G17 experienced a case failure. I do have a limited supply of brass and the load count is unsure at this point, but no more than 10 I think. There was NO double / heavy charge. I was confused since FTE and FTFeed should indicate a low charge, but the recoil and the case failure indicated the opposite. I just ordered a chronograph BTW for better analysis / load work up.

Suspecting something seriously wrong, I then loaded up 9 rounds with 3.3 grains of Red Dot and they ran great in all 3 guns. This seems very low compared to the data I've been able to find.

I see the new Lyman 4th has load data for this mold, but I don't know if it has Red Dot in 9mm. I would buy it if someone could confirm it contains that combo.

So what are you all running for this combo of 9mm, Lee 95, and Red Dot? What are your thoughts on the 4.0gr results? Should I be resizing the boolits? They all plunk fine which is how I came up with the 1.01 OAL. The Model 213 was the limiting factor, the other 2 could have been quite longer.

Thank you for your insight and sorry for the long post,
    KY_Hill_Billy

I run 3 grains of Red Dot under a 125 gr cast in all my 9mm's.

I have gone as high as 4.5 for a Hipoint Carbine but saw no real advantage to it.

In the pistol 3 is enough for me.

I know in theory that lighter bullet = Less pressure, so powder charge can be increased, gain speed.

I guess I am just not that worried about going fast anymore. Happy that I am still able to shoot.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply GhostHawk,
    I'm just looking for something to cycle the action and is half-way accurate while my wife and I learn to shoot handguns. We've always shot long rifles and shotguns.
    I just found it odd that the "minimum" 4.0gr of Red Dot had such recoil in the 9mm's with the Lee 95. My normal load is 4.0gr of Hercules Green Dot with a Berry's 124gr RN.
    It shoots great. I bought 8lbs of Red Dot because I'm about out of the old Green Dot and SR7625. Lots of load data for both pistol and shotgun and I wanted a dual purpose powder.
    KY_Hill_Billy

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    How hard an alloy? #2 or ???

1.01 OAL might be a part of the problem - Shorter OAL = higher pressures as you know.

Lyman # 47 & #49 give 4.1-5.5 Gr. Red Dot for a #356242 90-92 Gr. #2 alloy cast, 1.045" OAL
    (and since that's a lighter boolit, you don't want to go to 5.5 grains, but you knew that!)

I'm not a 9mm guru, sounds like 4.0 is too much for a 1.01" OAL, certainly.

Boolit Master

I'm running 3.8 gr of red dot under 124 rn in all my 9mm
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Mold
    Sorry, I failed to mention the alloy. It's 50/50 WW and lead flashing, water dropped. This batch I tumble lubed with straight Lee Alox.
    I feel I should resize to try for a longer OAL in the Model 213, but hesitate because my .380 Makarov loves them as dropped. The Mak slugs at .356-3565 so I hesitate to resize to .357 and don't know that .358 would gain me much OAL in the Model 213 9mm. I think I will get a good 9mm load in the 3-3.5gr range once the chronograph arrives. I was just shocked that the 4.0gr was so stout.

KY_Hill_Billy

Boolit Master
    When using Red Dot/Promo for 9mm I have settled on 3.8 gr for 120~125 gr. boolits. Perfect function and very accurate. It's my experience that Red Dot/Promo 3.3 ~3.5 gr gives unreliable function in some weapons.

Banned

the 213 will shoot 358 just fine.
    at least all of mine do, I like the 213.
    it will handle some real hot 9mm rounds but still function on the low end also.
    I mostly run about 3.2-3grs of red-dot or the like under a heavier bullet than your using and it's soft shooting but close to 900 fps.

4 grs under a 100gr bullet would be moving along pretty well, 1050 or so would be my guess.
    anyway it sounds like you have the 213 with the shorter magazine and the block in the mag well.
    that's what Littlegirl has and it should still take a 1.10 length no problems, you most likely can't get the lee out that far.
    I would just back the load down some.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Alliant says 4.8 start and 5.3 load. You can check handloads.com they have a large data base. I personally am a little Leary of user submitted loads over what manuals call for but the loads from powder companies I don't have a problem with. You can also down load an alliant manual for free it has data not on the web site.

Boolit Mold
    runfiverun,
    I have the wide magazines which are hard to find. But you are right, I love the 213 also. The 213 is running the Lee 95 at .359-.360 fine for me, I just wondered if I could make it longer by resizing down.

RED_BEAR, I have downloaded all of the manuals I can find and 4-5.3 is pretty consistent. My OAL must be much shorter as someone mentioned above.

Anyway I am backing off the load and am looking forward to my chronograph arriving in the mail.
    Thanks for the replies all,
    KY_Hill_Billy

Boolit Master

Does that Lee 95 gr RF bullet drop at .358? I would love to get that mold,
    but am afraid it will drop under size. Anyone else using this bullet and
    what were your results? Thanks for any info.
    Denny

Boolit Mold
    Mine is dropping .359+ with 50/50 WW / Lead Flashing, water quenched. It out shoots everything in my Mak .380. I'm just now using it for 9mm as described above.
    KY_Hill_Billy

Boolit Master

Thanks KY_Hill_Billy.....I just might have to buy one...want to use it in a LCPII .380
    Denny

Boolit Mold
    Get the 6 cavity, my 2 cavity doesn't make them nearly fast enough!
    KY_Hill_Billy

Boolit Master

I'd hate to buy the six cav and find out they only drop at .356 dia.
    I have the 6 cav in .358-125 gr-RF and it's a real pleasure to use.
    Denny

Boolit Master

Anyone use the Lee 356 95 RF 6 cavity mold and if so... what diameter
    do they drop from the mold? I'm looking for them to drop at .358
    Thanks,
    Denny

I run 4.0 of red dot under the Lee 105
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I have that mold, it's great in the .380. I've never used it for 9mm. I hear it's good for about 1600 fps in the 357 SIG.
    4.0 gr. RD in a 9mm w/ 95 gr. boolit isn't too much unless they're seated way deep, but back it off if they're feeling too hot.

Boolit Mold
    I know you are using Red Dot, but Power Pistol in the 6.2-6.7 range does great in my firearms. 6.7 is right at 1300 fps. Which sounds high, but is right at minimum power factor for computation.

Boolit Master

What diameter do they drop from the mold?
    Denny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast