RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round ball in 20ga

Second the kudos for your fine pictures and good work. Printed those puppies off to put with shotgun load manual AND saved files to computer. Now just need to wrap up load workup for 32 acp so I can move onto working on these with more focus.

I would guess most of my loads would be RB or maybe the Lyman 20 gauge slug, with the Lyman Minnie bullet mixed in to at least try out.

I know I mentioned rifled choke tube before, only one I have found online is this Carlson's extended tube https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...20-gauge-black with 1:35 twist rate.

I was also looking at cylinder bore choke tube. Lower cost and absent a scope (not pre-drilled) or rifle sights on a replacement barrel I'm not sure I will get more value out of a rifled choke. Won't be able to aim past 50 yards if that far just using a bead sight so... At $16 it certainly is an inexpensive way to allow shooting RB, Minnie, and slugs. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/28...choke-20-gauge

On the other hand more accurate at 50 yards is still more accurate.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    Greetings Roger, the Carlson's Extended Rifled Choke Tube is the very best that is out there.
    You are making wise decisions and I'm enjoying it. Lets get started by you first making the depth gauge and others will follow:

I'll be glad to see you win it in this particular set up :

A. You will need the Lee .575 double cavity mold from MidSouth for $18 plus. ( 285 gr with WW )
    B. 20 ga. Trap Commander wads
    C. OP wad
    D. Circle Fly nitro cards of .135 inch 28 ga
    E. 3 inch Fiocchi hulls for .575 RB
    Here are the powder that did very well in our Nitro Express 20 ga loads:
    Herco, Longshot, A.Steel, IMR 4756, Universal, Blue Dot, HS-6, WSF we used all Magnum primers for developing newer loads here.
    Fiocchi primer 616 used for Unique and SR7625.
    **--** Use only Fold crimp and forget the roll crimp for RB in wad Nitro Express loads.
    Please check your barrel OD at the muzzle.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 03-14-2018 at 02:42 PM.

Found circle fly nitro cards at track of the wolf. Not going to save much money compared to the BPI dark cards since a second shipping charge eats up most of the savings (but not all) Fio 3 inch hulls are out of stock right now at BPI. I darn sure don't want to end up paying for shipping 3 times!

Those T-Commander wads are 7/8 oz. size for the round ball right? What about for the heavy Minnie bullet loads? They looked the same in your pictures and I was thinking that the main (and possibly only) difference between the 1 - 1 1/8 wad and the 7/8 wad was the larger load wads had taller cup & shorter base. Not sure if that 1 - 1 1/8 oz. wad was desired or needed for a Minnie bullet even if the weight of the bullet was over 1 1/8 oz.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Pipe Cutter tip is great

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Greetings Roger, the Carlson's Extended Rifled Choke Tube is the very best that is out there.
    You are making wise decisions and I'm enjoying it. Lets get started by you first making the depth gauge and others will follow:
    A. You will need the Lee .575 double cavity mold from MidSouth for $18 plus. ( 285 gr with WW )
    B. 20 ga. Trap Commander wads
    C. OP wad
    D. Circle Fly nitro cards of .135 inch 28 ga
    E. 3 inch Fiocchi hulls for .575 RB
    Here are the powder that did very well in our Nitro Express 20 ga loads:
    Herco, Longshot, A.Steel, IMR 4756, Universal, Blue Dot, HS-6, WSF we used all Magnum primers for developing newer loads here.
    Fiocchi primer 616 used for Unique and SR7625.
    **--** Use only Fold crimp and forget the roll crimp for RB in wad Nitro Express loads.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    What am I checking for?
    Thought it might have something to do with the Carlson choke but wasn't sure.

I have all the component items located and since I made it to end of month without going over budget I plan to order these items tonight or tomorrow. Splitting order between Midway USA and BPI. Midway has the 3" FIO hulls in stock and the 7/8 oz. TC wads. BPI has the dark nitro cards and red gas seal, they also have the TC wads so I could get the wads at either place. I debated getting a bag of the unsplit wads that you show trimmed with a tubing cutter but figured one thing at a time.

I can't wait to bring this all together and try a few out!
    Last edited by RogerDat; 03-29-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Banned
    Greetings Roger, I had asked for the barrel OD at muzzle for my own knowledge as all gun manufacturers vary.
    You are doing great by getting your components all lined up.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Barrel OD is .793 at the Muzzle. Approx. 22 year old Mossberg 500 Junior with ribbed accu-choke barrel. My daughter was a teenager when it was purchased for her.

My goodies are coming! I waited until BPI had the new 3" Fio hulls back in stock before I ordered so I gut hulls, TC wads, red gas seal base and the nitro cards in one order. Ordered the Carson extended rifled choke and a Cylinder bore choke from Midway USA. That Cylinder bore choke seemed to make sense to me because it can do shot or round ball and it duplicates the Slugger barrels Mossberg sold for these which didn't have rifling.

Really wanted to order 2 bags of the .125 wads but figured 250 cnt. would get me started and I was getting close to the point where dear wife gets unhappy with me. I can wait on the rest of the wads. I want to try Unique because I have it in quantity, also have some 2400 and a pound of Bullseye but may want to buy one pound of some other powder. Thinking along the lines of or SR-7625 or maybe some Blue Dot to go with little bit of Red and Green Dot that I have.

Those clear cases with charges are they 20 Gauge? Looks like the RB load is 5/8 oz. With the Minnie balls going 1 oz to 1.25 oz.

Banned
    Hello Roger, I'm happy for you. Don't make the wife angry, learn to cook your own and burn powder.
    The clear cases were meant to show a chart of powder to hull, which powder requires more hull space. They are 12 ga hulls with some of the known charges for different slugs commonly used.

We used the wads with red band to clearly show the powder height after using a few lbs wad pressure to settle the powder home ! !
    We can't afford to make mistakes therefore I choose to use pictures instead, we are playing with fire, aren't we ! !

I'm happy to see you take-on this challenge and looking forwards to learning from your experiences.
    While you are at it make your gauge to check hull to wad column space gauge, the " O " ring set is from Dollar store:

We are in it to win it, I wish you the very best.
    If you notice powder seeping trough like this then

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-05-2018 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks for the clarification. If I understand the idea is look at the image and if you can't get the depth rod deep enough to crimp then look further to the left to change powder to one that fills less of the case with a charge. I am thinking those charges are not to be used as is since there is a significant difference between 5/8 oz round ball and 1 1/4 oz Minnie ball. More representative of equivalents.

Looked over my shelf and of those you list I have:
    • Bullseye
    • Long gap here where I don't have a listed powder
    • Unique

Was trying to decide if it was worth picking up a powder to fill that long gap between Bullseye and Unique to load round ball or heavy Lyman Minnie. Maybe someplace in the middle like Longshot or WSF but my knowledge of these powders is limited.

So you can use the clear/white gas seals with 20 gauge or the red ones? Either will work? And look forward to making my depth gage stick for 6 point crimp.

After this it will be all about the 12 gauge. Different bore, same ideas

Banned
    Hello Roger, I did a lot of testing 24/7 and used some 14 powders and the 2400 was among them, all I can say is it did not Shine as too good a powder for 12 and 20 ga, others will brag about it, that's fine. I did my research full time and had great time doing it.

In some of my past posts I would often mention " these are the powders that Shined and in these loads for 20 or 12 ga. "

I keep hearing good things for Pro Reach, wish it was in my selection.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBlazingSabots View Post
    Hello Roger, I did a lot of testing 24/7 and used some 14 powders and the 2400 was among them, all I can say is it did not Shine as too good a powder for 12 and 20 ga, others will brag about it, that's fine. I did my research full time and had great time doing it.

In some of my past posts I would often mention " these are the powders that Shined and in these loads for 20 or 12 ga. "

I keep hearing good things for Pro Reach, wish it was in my selection.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    I have been stalking your past posts, but it's all Google's fault. Seems when I search for 20 gauge slug loads your posts keep coming up.

I'm just thinking about what to get from the list of powders on the clear hulls that fits in between the Bullseye and Unique. But I will probably start with Unique for the 20 gauge round ball load. I tended to buy more of the Unique because it is sort of a universal powder able to cover a lot of reloading purposes.

Just to clarify, the picture of clear hulls with different charges listed are any of those functional loads in 20 gauge slug? At what weight of slug? Or round ball? Max load or good starting? My Lyman Minnie ball is a bit over 500 grain so I was tending to think that would be sort of heavy for those loads. I make it as close to 1 1/8 oz. I should be able to find close load data but it seems to me slug would build up more pressure to the rear than a 1 1/8 of shot.

Show this weekend so I may take that picture and just see if I can pick up a powder from around the middle. Got a bunch of 308 brass to sell/trade at the show so that might fund my pound or two of powder.

Boolit Master

Banned
    Hello Roger the powder to hull ratio picture is just a reference picture, do not use those loads. Those powder charges are from way back loads.
    Just use it to help while loading to get a good idea of what powder consumes more or less hull space.
    Here is the powder burn rate chart.

Please feel free to ask and I'll gladly help in my own way.

Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Thanks Ajay. I did think absent a projectile weight they didn't seem like "loads".
    Looking at it from a burn rate perspective and bulk perspective it looks like WSF fills in where I have currently have nothing with that bulk (between Bullseye and Unique) or burn rate (between Unique and 2400)

In what I have read so far one can go a little under the shot weight with the ball or slug and be reasonably ok if using those hard nitro cards. So the 5/8 oz round ball can use the charge for a 3/4 oz. load with the possibility that one won't get the pressure required for complete burn due to the lighter weight of load. An 1 1/8 oz slug can use the 1 1/4 charge weights. But frankly the one part of this I don't like is the limited amount of published hull, wad, charge combinations that have been published. "Should be able to" is not always the most comforting way to go eh?

Banned
    Good morning Roger, Here are the loads for 20 ga .575 inch Lee RB in Fiocchi hulls.

The powders that shine in 20 ga are Longshot, Blue Dot, Herco, HS 6, Universal.
    Best regards,
    Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 04-07-2018 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks! That worked out well I had found some Blue Dot loads, I think from your testing and found a bottle of that powder at the show today. Also seeing some Green Dot loads and have a bottle or two of that.

And I have located a local source for Longshot. At least one shop in the area has it. Hoping another shop I have to call will have the powder since the first shop has Longshot priced at $29.99 which is almost robbery. I have another possible store that stocks a decent selection of powder but won't know if they have Longshot until I call them on Monday and that shop is far enough away I'll have to go on a weekend.

Banned
    Good morning Roger, the Longshot did very well on the .575 RB loads in 20 ga and fast.
    You will love it.

Ajay Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Well I have my goodies now, including the rifled and cylinder bore chokes. I was checking the fit of the ball through the cylinder bore choke and found the ball on it's own dropped right through. In the TC wad with a couple of .125 nitro cards under the ball it was a hard bit to push the ball and wad through using the eraser end of a pencil. Wad petals plus ball is a snug fit in cylinder bore choke.

I would guess a load of powder would move that wad & ball a lot harder than me pushing it through the choke with a pencil braced on the workbench but just wanted to sort of confirm that doesn't sound too tight.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast