Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New scratch built HighWall in 45-90

Boolit Master

New scratch built HighWall in 45-90

Well Photobucket it seems now wants about a hundred bucks a year to allow me to post pics! Well they can take that and do you what with it!

Ok maybe this will work so let's try it again!

I have been on this project off/on for over two years but except for a few small items it's about finished now. It will be joining the other two, a much heavier and somewhat modified version also in 45-90 and the scaled down "baby HighWall" in 22 WMR. This one has a standard weight 28" full octagon barrel and I chose a pistol grip stock this time, the first one was intentionally built heavy at a bit over 14 lbs with a 32" heavy weight barrel, thick walled receiver and straight grip stock. This one also has the same mods to the action like the others that eliminates the lower tang retaining screw heads from the receiver sides and also has the highly modified sear on a carrier slotted into the receiver similar to the way the lower tang/trigger group is attached, this eliminates the sear pin ends from showing on the receiver sides just below the hammer plus IMO it works better like this. I made the receiver and breechblock from 4140HT alloy with most of the internal parts being hardened and tempered O1 steel, the receiver is slightly heavier than an original and being made of 4140 it should be really strong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TK4UUEt.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	215831

Name:	8ttr3UX.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	215833

Name:	JSQ7tyI.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	215835

Name:	SLCceyw.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	215842

Name:	LcmVoEW.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	215841

Name:	236xhgV.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	215832

Name:	0OmRbrv.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	29.8 KB 
ID:	215844

I made this sight as a copy of the one on my T/C Hawkin ML except I built it with a Dovetail mount instead of the screws that T/C mounts them with,

Name:	f86OpDd.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	215843

(That nick in the forearm, top RH side, happened when I bumped the gun case as I removed this thing for these pics but I decided to post them anyway, I will fix that later)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WlQXZGg.jpg   TXeBER7.jpg  
    Last edited by oldred; 03-06-2018 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Photobucket removed the pics, also that's a rear SIGHT not site!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Man
    Wow, just wow!

Beautiful work! You are a true artist Sir!
    "Fast is fine accurate is final"

Wonderful!

Boolit Grand Master
    Absolutely stunning

Banned
    Yup, Wow says it all. Congratulations.

Vendor Sponsor

You had told me in a PM a few years back you had some nice walnut and that one is, in my opinion, just about tops!
    Nice job on the whole rifle. I am impressed!
    She will know how to kick with the drop on the heel.
    Chill Wills

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    Well Photobucket it seems now wants about a hundred bucks a year to allow me to post pics! Well they can take that and do you what with it!

I tried to just load them directly from my computer like I have done here in the past but that it seems no longer works either???? For whatever reason I can't get this site to upload the pics from my computer, everything appears to be working properly but then it just gives me an "upload failed" message.

Anyone know how to post pics now?????
    You have to compress the pictures in order to upload them from your computer. If the picture files are over around 1mb you get an error. Make the pictures smaller with the compress feature in Microsoft Office Picture manager. It will change the size to a couple hundred K that will upload.
    Attachment 215838

Boolit Master

Ok I think I have something that worked, I tried IMGUR as a host and it "seems" to be working at least for now but it's still a mess, I have not the foggiest idea how that "attached thumbnails" box with those last two pics got in there and I can't find any way to remove them. I don't know when Photobucket started charging for hosting pics, I have used them forever but now a picture will only stay up an hour or so before they delete it unless you pay around a hundred bucks a year in ransom or even more depending on which of their silly plans a person might chose. Well I choose to just dump them, that will cost me nothing!!!

Boolit Buddy
    What a thing of beauty. I have dreams of doing, well something like that with a couple of my Swede rolling block but sure they won't come put like yours. What a master.
    If you do a search for ....photo picture resized app....you can easily resize pics to post on here. In the manage attachments box. You just have to resize them before hand. Think I read that here somewhere or may have been on another site.
    Muzzleloaders....why don't you pick one up and smoke it sometime

Serving my Lord and Savor has been one of my biggest challenges and for sure biggest joys in my life....
    Thank you Jesus....you changed the rhythm of my heart.

Boolit Master

Ok let's see if that will do it

Name:	rsz_20180305_142929.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	215855

Looks like it works, thanks!

Boolit Master
    Beautiful work sir. I'm sure John Browning would approve.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Just a gorgeous rifle. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Boolit Master

Finally got to proof fire and all went well, 2 rounds loaded to Hodgdons' starting load for Winchester 458 Mag and 2 more in what would be close to the 50,000 PSI range for the nearly identical capacity 458 case. These of course were fired remotely from a safe distance with the rifle lashed onto a wooden cradle and there will never (intentionally anyway) be a load this heavy fired with the rifle being hand held, even if I felt the rifle was safe at these pressures (something I would never assume) the 45-90 brass is weaker than 458 brass and is not up to that kind of abuse (besides recoil would be just plain brutal!). Primers were somewhat flat but no signs of cratering and no signs of stretching or any new looseness in the action, now to load up some sensible loads in the 1200 +/- FPS range and see how well it groups.

I have given some thought to checkering this rifle, I have a 20 LPI master set of Dem-Bart tools but so far I have only done practice pieces and a Marlin 1895 Stock/forearm that came out quite nice so I feel confident enough to tackle it but just not so sure I should, opinions?

Very nice! Well done!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post

I have given some thought to checkering this rifle, I have a 20 LPI master set of Dem-Bart tools but so far I have only done practice pieces and a Marlin 1895 Stock/forearm that came out quite nice so I feel confident enough to tackle it but just not so sure I should, opinions?
    Just my opinion; no rifle is complete until it has checkering.
    And, the nicer they are, the more they need checkering.

I have a few incomplete rifles
    Chill Wills

Boolit Master

Wonderful work! Thanks for sharing

Boolit Buddy
    Nice work Red, the metal and wood work are awesome glad you got those farm repairs behind you, keep at it. I have a few projects to post but have been unable to submit them, I'll have to learn that compression technique. Used the last of the 8620 material, made a Sharps Borchardt, High Wall and a Sharps mod. 75, still have to barrel and stock them

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chill Wills View Post
    Just my opinion; no rifle is complete until it has checkering.

That's the way I feel about checkering also and I have wanted to try my hand at it for a while, I have had Monty Kennedy's book for years and a couple of the patterns (the simpler ones) seem to lay out just right on this rifle, I "traced" them in pencil before I applied the finish and liked the way they looked. After getting the finish on and rubbed out I wasn't so sure anymore so that's why I have just been toying with the idea, however I think l will likely give it a try and probably get started this weekend.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Billthomas View Post
    I have a few projects to post but have been unable to submit them, I'll have to learn that compression technique. Used the last of the 8620 material, made a Sharps Borchardt, High Wall and a Sharps mod. 75, still have to barrel and stock them

Hi Bill, I know what you mean about posting those pics as it's gotten to be a real pain (at least for me) since PhotoBucket started resorting to Blackmail demands to allow your pics to stay up! I went to IMGUR and it was fairly easy to reduce the size to something the forum can accept but I got more than a bit fuzzed up trying to figure it out!

Can't wait to see your latest creations! The last ones were excellent and you having done that many, especially of such high quality, is mind boggling but keep it up as it keeps the rest of us inspired!!!