RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Think I can get a full powder burn out of AA#5 in a 4" barrel?

Boolit Buddy

Think I can get a full powder burn out of AA#5 in a 4" barrel?

I am constantly tinkering with different bullets, BHNs, coatings/lubes, powders, etc. in 9mm to see if I can find combos that I really like. I have noticed that my best success comes with pistol powders that burn slower, rather than popular choices like Bullseye, and my best accuracy regardless of powder seems to be achieved just barely north of 1000 FPS. I rarely if ever shoot further out than 25 yards with this handgun.

To that end, I'm considering trying AA#5, as it burns even slower than my current favorite, W231/HP38. This is out of my M&P 9 stock, so a 4" barrel. Published load data indicates a load of 4.7 to 5.4 grains for a 124gr lead bullet, which is a bit more by weight than I've ever used with W231, Bullseye, or AA#2.

My understanding is that if the powder burn rate is too slow for the intended use, you can run out of barrel before the powder is done burning. This leads to inconsistent burn, slower than expected FPS, and a dirty gun (but also awesome fireballs--gotta look for those silver linings).

Think I could get a full burn with 4.7 to 5.4 grains of AA#5, or is it too slow for good use in a 4" 9mm barrel? Looking at the load data, I think I'm inclined to aim for the hotter end of that spectrum, as it will get me closer to the 1050 or so FPS my gun seems to like.
    Currently in the process of developing the "perfect" cast .223 load for my AR-15. Click here to follow my progress

I am having good results with full power loads of CFE Pistol which shows up as slightly slower than AA5 in all my barrel lengths.

Boolit Master
    No, you won't burn all the powder in your 4" barrel (QuickLoad says about 75% burn depending on seating depth) but you will probably have enough pressure to burn reasonably clean. I'd say give it a try...

Boolit Buddy
    Sounds like the powder is worth a shot, even if I'm not getting 100% powder burn. What remains to be seen is if it gives me better groups than W231/HP38. Thanks for the info all!
    Currently in the process of developing the "perfect" cast .223 load for my AR-15. Click here to follow my progress

I use AA#5 as my go-to powder for my Kahr 9mm with 3.6+/- barrel. I have used AA#7, but AA#5 does perform better .... and I've never noticed a fireball or excessive fouling with AA#5.

jd

Boolit Master

Not a 9, but my buddy uses 5.0 gr. AA#5 under a 147 gr. TC in his .38 Super Series 70 Commander. Decent accuracy without a lot of muzzle flash.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    Cool. Thanks all for the feedback. I'll pick up a pound of it and work up some loads.