Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone handload 32 ACP for a Seecamp?

Boolit Bub

Anyone handload 32 ACP for a Seecamp?

Anyone here handload 32 ACP for a Seecamp?

What are you using?

Boolit Master
    Is this the one that was designed around the Winchester Silvertip round of the time? I know it is a more complicated prospect than some, as it locks by momentary lodging of the expanding case in a slightly "jugged" chamber. It may be very sensitive to the state of anneal of the case, and the usual practice of starting with very light loads and working up may leave room for an alarming or damaging experience in the middle.

I think what you need is another and more simply-operating pocket pistol, with which to check velocity and pressure signs in case and primer, to get something as close as possible to the Silvertips before you try any in the Seecamp. It is still a very highly regarded pistol, which it would be a shame to damage.

Boolit Master

A 32 acp is not much use in any serious applications. It might give a person a sense of comfort in self-defense, but, you'd still have to fight them after unloading the gun on them.

It's not real good for plinking, if you have intentions of reloading the cases. You will probably lose more then you will find.

It might be OK for woods walking if you encounter a coyote, feral pack of dogs or bobcat bent on seeing how good you taste.

If you like the 32 caliber as I do, you might want to think about a revolver in the 32 magnum. A little better stopper then the acp and you won't loose as much brass.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

You can shoot the 32acp in a 32 mag wheel gun.I do it all the time beside in my pistol.It things did not change on ammo like it have I would of use the 32acp in my wheelgun for the trap line.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

If you do a search, a member on hear has done quite a bit of work with the .32acp cartridge. I do not know the strength of your pistol though and that would definitely have to come in to consideration.

Boolit Master
    The early Seecamp pistols were indeed designed to function specifically with the Winchester Silvertip load. Any other load that "just happened" to function the pistol were a bonus. This sounds like a COL topic. When ammo, and any specific load of ammo, got scarce, the Seecamp was re-designed to function with most other 32 acp ammo. These pistols were the rage when they first hit the market. That was during a time when "smaller was King" for hide-out pistols. Anyone here remember the reduced size S&W M39 called the Asp? I always wanted one of these but the cost of the conversion stopped me from having one. As some people say, size matters. I have a close friend who owns a later production Seecamp. He claims it will function with any 32 acp ammo he feeds it. He has only fired factory loads through it and does not handload. KevH if you start loading for a Seecamp try various COL loads to find your function level, and good luck with your project.

Boolit Master

I believe you need to search for post by Outpost75. He has done extensive tests with several 32's.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Banned
    I concur with ThinMan. The early Seacamp pistols were designed to function with only the Winchester Silvertip and anything else that worked was just a bonus.
    Those early Seacamps went for an insane amount of money and there was a waiting list of over a year to get one.
    The early Seacamps were well made but I never thought the price they commanded was close to what they were worth to me. Apparently Beretta and NAA agreed with me and the small 32 ACP market got a little bigger and Seacamp's shining allure got a little dimmer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren View Post
    I believe you need to search for post by Outpost75. He has done extensive tests with several 32's.
    Yes, but of of our loads were 0.945-0.955" OAL which don't fit into the Seecamp magazine.

Ranch Dog Outdoors has .32 ACP data with his bullets at a shorter 0.915" OAL which should work in the Seecamp pistol:

http://www.ranchdogoutdoors.com/bin/...oadnotes01.pdf
    Last edited by Outpost75; 03-05-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure cartridge overall length is important in anything so small, but when you measure that, you know what you've got. The subtle interaction of brass thickness and anneal which "locks" the Seecamp is much more difficult to assess. Get it wrong, and you have a simple blowback pistol with a slide too light to be simple blowback.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I load 32acp for a cz 50 I bought a lee mold 90 or 93 grn round nose and cut it down so there is only one lube groove . it worked out at 65 grn using reclaimed shotgun shot that cones out at 12 bnh when water dropped. Air dropping is softer but haven't checked hardness. Also use 77 grn rcbs. The Lee mold gives overall length of .900 to .915. Can't go longer than .915 or lube groove is exposed. My favorite loads are 2.3 grn red dot (65 grn bullet) and 2.2 grn red dot for the rcbs mold. Unique and bullseye also work good.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Almost forgot to hickory you may want to check handloads.com stopping power. The 32 with the right loads has a higher percentage of one shot stops than a 38. It has been used for more than 100 years by police and military. Not to bad for something that is is less. Shot placement is far more important than the caliber. I Cary a 32acp and a 25acp as back up. And I know all the stories about how useless they are (all seems not to be from personal experience). Many people have been laid low by both of these. If you feel you need more gun then by all means go for it its a personal choice. And I actually enjoy loading both 25 and 32. Talk about cheep shooting a 25 gets over 5800 rounds per pound ( top end loads and over 7000 for moderate loads. And 140+ per pound of lead. My better half loves her 25 when we go to the range.