Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I think I found my 03A3 load!

Boolit Master

well done !
    good shooting and good reloading skills
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I use a load of 30.0 grains if IMR3031 in my SC 1903-A3 propelling my cast Lyman 311284, ignited with CCI34 primers in used military brass. My results are nowheres even near as tight a group as you've achieved -- kudos -- but it is, indeed, a great load. IMR3031 is my "go to" powder, and I'm happy to read others (e.g., you) are using it for '06 loads in these bolt guns. (I've never tried this load in a Garand; just acquired one, but for now, I may stick to jacketed bullets for this (CMP rack grade) rifle. Again, the L311284 load works great not only in the 1903A3, but also in my 1917).
    geo
    Hi George,

What is your OAL with that 311284? Trying to dial in my newly acquired A4 and finding the 311299 ogive a bit too fat to chamber, though I think it is swelling through too much GC/sizing pressure.

And what does the 284 boolit weigh approximately?

Thanks,
    Jeff

Moderator Emeritus

Jeffjmr -- My "standard" cartridge over-all length is 3.30 inches. I use military brass with primer pocket swaged with the Dillon bench tool. I uniformly trim all cases on a Wilson trimmer to 2.484 inches, and seat the Lyman 311284 to attain a total overall cartridge length of 3.30 inches. My firearm is a Smith-Corona 1903-A3, and these feed quite well. Leading is sparse, which I attribute to the ~75 year old barrel, the two "normal" extremes it was subjected to through these years: over-zealous cleaning, and, no cleaning at all; and, perhaps of greatest consequence is my haphazard alloying. To wit, I add some pure tin, and ingots of RotoMetal's Superhard to whatever is in the pot....They seem to average a couple of grains more or less of 200 -- again, dependent upon what's in the pot. I check a few with the Cabine Tree hardness tester, and generally they're acceptable for me. And, as I cast "a coffee-can full" at a session -- a season's supply -- e.g., my variability generally varies a tad year-to-year. (Too cold for me to shoot from December thru early-April)
    Good luck and best wishes. This 3031 load is not "mine" -- it came from a reloading manual; sorry, cannot recall exactly, and do not wish to type the name of the one I believe to be the source, in fear of giving incorrect source. When I find a good load, I print all data on a 3" x 5" card, which I have in a Roll-a-Dex right on my reloading bench with all specs right on it. In retrospect, vis your query, I should (and will in future) footnote the actual source.

I have it labeled as ".30'06 Bolt Action Rifle Target Load" -- I'd NOT try shooting it in, say, a Garand.
    geo

EDIT: For kicks I checked out the mould at Midway -- quite a few good reviews, you may have interest in reading: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...nose-gas-check
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 10-23-2018 at 08:21 PM.

If you ever can find a Lyman 311335 might give it a try. Have tried all the bullets you mentioned and they shoot well in my rifle, but the 311335 was exceptional in my rifle sized .310
    bob
    Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

In the late 80's I got a unissued/unfired Remington 03-A3, and never ceased to be amazed at how well it shot,
    especially with cast boolits at moderate speeds.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Bub
    One of many good threads for 03a3 loads. Thanks for sharing your information

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Two sighters....made sight adjustments....... then 10 shots "for record" at 100 yards from my M1903A1 NM Type II. Load was 20 gr 2400 with a Dacron filler under the 30 XCB (NOE 310-165-FN) in LC Match cases with a WLR primer.

Attachment 233940

Attachment 233941
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Nice group and pretty rifle Larry.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12