Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Wiil the Lee .314 SWC be safe to use in my Marlin 336?

Boolit Buddy

Wiil the Lee .314 SWC be safe to use in my Marlin 336?

I decided to load some gallery rounds using 2.7 gn of Bulleye and the 32-20 bullet sized to .311. They chamber fine but I haven't shot them yet. The flat nose on the SWCs don't bridge the primer pockets. Need some advice on whether to shoot them one at time or load the tube magazine and not worry about it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	90311-01.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	7.5 KB 
ID:	215763
    Last edited by ichthyo; 03-04-2018 at 09:16 PM.

Banned

With the level or recoil 2.7 grains of Bullseye will give, I really doubt that bullet will set off any in front of it.

That said, what's wrong with using it as a single shot? Will that bullet feed through the magazine anyway?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, it does feed ok. I was surprised by that. For target shooting one at time is ok. If I used it for hunting a few rounds in tube would be nice. These would be rabbit\squirrel loads, maybe a coyote inside of 75 yards. Thanks for weighing in.

Banned

I have shot similar weight bullets in a .30-30 single shot with five grains of Bullseye. Basically zero recoil and plenty accurate enough for small game hunting. Haven't hunted with mine, but found a coffee can of rounds in my dad's stuff which I'm sure is the Lee soup can bullet and his hand scribbled note said 5 grains of Clays. Drops squirrels decisively and doesn't damage meat any more than a .22 LR hollow point.

In Remembrance
    No need to single load it, one in the chamber and one in the tube, how often does an animal stand for more than 2 shots antway, for that matter one shot works just as well in most hunting applications.

Boolit Buddy
    That is so obvious it slipped past me. Two is better than one for sure. Thanks for waking me up.

Boolit Master
    It's more "spread out" contacting the primer than the factory round nose bullet, of which deer hunters shoot about a jillion per year with no issues. And it has a lot less recoil. Shoot it and don't worry about it.

I shoot the flat nose bullets in the tube with no problems.Like earlmck it is spread out and the contacting with the primer is better then the factory. it is the pointed ones that you do not want to use.You can use the hollow points also. It will not be a problem with the primer.If it feeds ok I say use it .Unless someone else have something different then what I stated. Do correct it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Interesting loads. I played with the Lee 120 grain round nose in the 30-30 for a while. I see lots of threads about how great the 357 rifle is. I had one and finally got rid of it. I still keep the 32-20, but always felt that unless one just shot factory the 30-30 was far more versatile. You are showing that it is with handloads. Another debate, but there are a lot of bullets now that will work through the 30-30. The 120 Lee worked fine but I had feeding problems. Depends on the rifle. Always thought about getting other bullets to try in the 32-20 and did get the Lee 98 grain round nose for the 32 pistol but the 120 works so well I haven't bothered to change loads. For small game the round nose may not do as much damage. I have not loaded up the 32-20 very hot and loads at the level you are loading them are very practical for small game.

DP

Boolit Grand Master

I use that load of bullseye under the same 90 gr SWC in my 30-30s. I very lightly crimp in the 2nd lube groove (from front drive band). Accuracy is excellent, recoil nil. There is no measurable pressure. I have shortened the magazine spring in my Winchesters to lesson the pressure on the bullets (way too much with standard factory spring) and there is no bullet setback. They feed fine.

Perfectly safe in Winchester M94s but who can tell about in Marlins..........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    must be around 800 fps. i used 125 grain .358 SWC in a 35 remington 336 with 8 grains of unique for Bout 1000 fps some years ago to whack armodillos on vermillion parish train tracks. unzipped them just fine. possum on the half shell, and pretty good eating.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I'll shoot a few singles and get a feel for the round and then decide whether to load up the tube. The magazine spring isn't too stiff so I feel pretty good about stacking them in there after hearing from you guys.

I'm with Larry, that bullet and mild loads of Red Dot shoot great from my Win 94 .30-30.

Super Moderator

I'm using it in my M94 30-30 too, no issues here either. I use it with 2.7 gr Bullseye, and 7 gr of Trail Boss. No bullet setback and no primer issues. Very accurate and fun to shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    Could you paper patch this light cast boolit and up the speed a bunch?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I use the Lee C309-113-RF over 8.8 grains Unique in my Mossberg 464 and get 1560 fps with excellent accuracy. I'm thinking about getting another one of these molds and plain basing it, not sure the gas check is really necessary with these loads.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I have used the same bullet, sized to .311 in three .30-30 rifles, a Marlin model 36 carbine, a 1956 made Winchester 94 carbine and a 1906 made Winchester 1894 extra lightweight takedown rifle. It shoots great and feeds in all three guns. Accuracy increased more after I began using a Lyman M expander die. I crimp each case on the top most groove on the bullet. And my standard load is 3.6 grains of Bullseye. The only real difference in the accuracy of each rifle is due more to whatever sights are on each gun, the takedown rifle has a peep sight and is thus the most accurate, while the Marlin has a cheap buckhorn style sight and is the least accurate. However the Marlin is much smoother when cycling the action and in feeding.

Using these plinking or small game loads has convinced me that the 30-30 rifle or carbine is truly the most versatile rifle. A little .30-30 carbine can do everything a .32-20 rifle can do and then be called upon for larger game of either the four foot or two foot variety. A standard.30 caliber size give the reloader an almost infinite selection of bullets and molds and cartridges and cases can be bought anywhere.
    Last edited by MFGordon; 03-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a great community sharing information. Seems like every time I start wondering, there are plenty of you guys willing to share your wisdom.
    I just came in from sizing some RCBS 32-98s to .311 for some pop-can loads for 30-30. They look right seated in the case, just a little shorter than the Lee 150 and a bit longer than the 309-113 so I think they'll feed fine. I was thinking about 4gr of Bullseye but it sounds like 3.5 or so may be more appropriate.
    I sincerely thank you guys.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MFGordon View Post
    I have used the same bullet, sized to .311 in three .30-30 rifles, a Marlin model 36 carbine, a 1956 made Winchester 94 carbine and a 1906 made Winchester 1894 extra lightweight takedown rifle. It shoots great and feeds in all three guns. Accuracy increased more after I began using a Lyman M expander die. I crimp each case on the top most groove on the bullet. And my standard load is 3.6 grains of Bullseye. The only real difference in the accuracy of each rifle is due more to whatever sights are on each gun, the takedown rifle has a peep sight and is thus the most accurate, while the Marlin has a cheap buckhorn style sight and is the least accurate. However the Marlin is much smoother when cycling the action and in feeding.

Using these plinking or small game loads has convinced me that the 30-30 rifle or carbine is truly the most versatile rifle. A little .30-30 carbine can do everything a .32-20 rifle can do and then be called upon for larger game of either the four foot or two foot variety. A standard.30 caliber size give the reloader an almost infinite selection of bullets and molds and cartridges and cases can be bought anywhere.
    Exactly. Ol' dirty-thirty will kill anything in the lower 48 and almost anything around the world with the right boolits and charges. That's why I have four of them and will probably add more before it's all over with.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.