Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rabid coyote

Boolit Grand Master

Our forefathers all but eliminated the yote problem and the do-gooders reintroduced it. Why can't the busybodies leave well enough alone?
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Man
    Out here on the prairie, if it's out during the day and it's a nocturnal critter, it'll probably get dispatched.

Mold Maker,
    I believe you meant our forefathers just about eliminated the wolf. Coyotes, at no point in history, despite millions of dollars spent on control efforts, have ever been in short supply. Currently their range has been extended to all but Hawaii.
    On a side note. With current low fur prices, few trappers are able to justify much trapping. For those with pets it would be wise to keep their vaccinations up to date.

In Remembrance
    As far as I know their numbers have never been threatened, but were kept somewhat in check until the cyanide bombs were outlawed.

Boolit Grand Master

My Grandad used to tell of farmers killing both on sight. I'm now older than my grandad was, and had never seen a yote till 2015. Now as in the song, "Their everywhere". Seems as if we allowed it to happen without having a care in the world.

In Remembrance
    Farmers and ranchers still shoot them on site, and I have still seen thousands of them. They will never be eradicated, by shooting or trapping, they didn't even come close when it was legal to poison them.

MoldMaker, I was the house on a section where I lived in New Mexico, one saturday morning the government were shooting them out of helicopters. Three choppers were chasing and shooting them and killed 43 just on the section I lived on.
    It is not as popular now, but when I was younger it was quite popular to run them with greyhounds.

Boolit Buddy
    Saw one 2 houses down from me in Sept. in front yard in middle of day. They are scouting the trash cans and yards with small pets for an easy meal. We have a " kill on sight" request for all hunters in our hunting club.(15 min. from home). Vestavia Al, (about 10 miles south of here) hired a trapper to help control them.

Boolit Grand Master

Time was when most of the acreage was farmland and farmers carried, to rid their farm of pests. Nowadays the same farm is divided into 200 1/4 acre plots and folks can shake their neighbor's hand while laying in bed. You wouldn't think that kind of wildlife could still flourish. But then you think just how many homes have house and yard pets, and the reason for the current problem is obvious.
    I was 55 years old when I saw my first groundhog, about 9 miles away, and now they are a constant threat in a ditch bank less than 2 blocks from the center of town.
    Not all progress is for the better.

Moderator Emeritus

Neighbor across the street called today, had one going after the horses in daylight. I went over with the AR-15 and dropped it, told him to use gloves if he touches it and to burn the carcass and anything that touches it in case of rabies. It looked sick, fur was all matted and nasty...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Too bad...
    I took that the other way, as that is how he contracted rabies!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

I know when rabies first show up in New England. it came up the coast from I think VA when some coon hunters live trap some coon in FL and brought them to VA to train there dogs.Then some had been rabid. Then it works it way up the coast and now it works it was to the west now. Also some can mistake a coon for being rabid when they have distemper. We got a large out break of distemper here in Iowa and there is not many coon around where I am .Also for what is said about trapping to keep the animals in check and then you got some states that just about do not let anyone trap. Also like was also stated the low fur price. But I trap anyways. Like I normal do from season to season for how I can.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

Few pelts I got last fall I tanned for my own use. Coyote throw lined with soft buckskin feels good on a cold winter night watching TV!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12