Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabid coyote

In Remembrance

Rabid coyote

It is rare, but looks like rabies has ben confirmed in at least one New York coyote.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/04...olice-say.html

Boolit Master
    Not surprising, and if one had it, don't be surprised if others show up. I've dealt with rabid animals twice in the last 3 years, the game wardens say it shows up in different animals in bunches, for example, he will see a run of raccoons, then it will be skunks or foxes, or... Both of us assume its because the transfer to their buddies of the same species is most likely. Both of my run ins were right on private property, yet another reason to be armed.

Super Moderator

Where I live, Rabies is not uncommon. It looks like it's primarily prevalent in skunks and foxes.

http://www.azdhs.gov/documents/prepa.../data/2018.pdf

In Remembrance
    Skunks can carry it with no signs of it, that is the reason they can not be deskunked and sold in pet stores like they used to be.
    As far as I know, it kills every other animal after it has run it's course.

Boolit Master
    That coyote was not far from my home. They were loose in Yonkers NY. The police shot one and it tested positive for rabies. No one is sure which one attacked the people and dogs. I've had one in my back yard. I by no means live in the country. Can't shoot them, to many houses around.

Boolit Master
    That is where I work. I've seen coyotes at that golf course as I've eaten lunch in the parking lot. At one point they had 5 helo's in the air. That is also in the area of Kimber Arms.

Boolit Master
    My daughter was attacked by a rabid fox last year in our friends driveway, I was able to kick it away several times as it kept coming back. It didn't bite or scratch anyone that time but had before and after as it got away from us. It had initially ran into the house chasing after us but we were were able to kick it through the door outside.

He didn't come in contact with Bloomberg did he.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    My daughter was attacked by a rabid fox last year in our friends driveway, I was able to kick it away several times as it kept coming back. It didn't bite or scratch anyone that time but had before and after as it got away from us. It had initially ran into the house chasing after us but we were were able to kick it through the door outside.
    That's some scary business right there. Same thing happened here a couple years ago to a hiker on a trail very near my house. He had to keep kicking the fox away until it was dead, it wouldn't stop coming after them...Yikes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Why didn’t you just shoot it? If that isn’t defending your lives I don’t know what would be.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Or at least use a boar spear or the like. (For a VERY cheap spear cut the end off a piece of #80 black gas pipe at a sharp angle, makes it quite pokey...)

Moderator Emeritus

Only seen a rabid coyote once where I live, skunks almost every year, raccoons every so often but they are more down by the river. Foxes wander through on occasional but to many dogs in town for them so if I see one headed into town I assume it is rabid and shoot it. Couple of us on the edge of town get calls from the city office to look out for coyotes and foxes and skunks coming into town.

Boolit Master
    We see rabies quite often in raccoons in TN. Some people keep them as pets. My sister used to work as a wildlife rehabilitator. The various vet offices would send referrals of wildlife to her frequently. She would bring mammals and birds back to health if injured, or to juvenile status if newborn, and release them back into the wild. Then I learned our animal control personnel (city staff) had orders from the state's Wildlife Commission that they would NOT be allowed to release any raccoon that was brought to them, the officers must put the raccoons down because of the high prevalence of rabies in them. My sister never heard about this rule before she passed 2 years ago. She would have been devastated by that news.

Boolit Master

About 20 years ago I took my son to a hunter safety course and the local game warden showed up for the class. He said that there were rabies in the area and that the kids were to tell their parents to kill any skunks or raccoons they saw during the daytime hours, and to burn the carcass. No fines or charges would be levied.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    I had a skunk charge me just at dawn as I was going into the squirrel woods, I bolted, he followed, and caught a 17HM2 in the kisser! I want about to touch it as i was 99% sure it was rabid! Foxes in this neck of the woods seem to prefer town over country because they are safer from the coyotes!

Boolit Master
    seeing cases of rabies in Colorado this spring. Mainly skunks this year

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by daniel lawecki View Post
    He didn't come in contact with Bloomberg did he.
    Too bad...
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    I was doing some work in town and talking to the homeowner about rabies. I said if you see a fox during the day, there's a good chance it has rabies. Not 3 minutes later a fox crosses the road in front of her house heading toward the neighbors. I told her to call the police and I followed the critter. Police found me and I pointed out the fox. When the policeman approached the fox it charged and he cut loose with the 410 the town uses for critters. Health dept check confirmed rabies. I see them on the farm I apply the 3 S's since we have livestock.

Boolit Master

Have dispatched lots and lots of rabid raccoons round here, urn them when I can, or bury them deep. Won't burn them in the dry times, no point in saving game and livestock from rabies if'n I burn them all by accident. 2 years ago hunting squirrels on opening morning my daughter and me kept hearing this sound like someone clicking their tounge and then something rustling the leaves,as it got lite we saw a raccoon so far into madness it couldn't climb the tree, it was making the most awful clicking and clacking sounds. I dispatched it,the woods were bone dry, so I sent her to the truck to get the shovel and buried it deep. Years before in he same area a rabid fox came after us, looked like it had eaten a bar of shaving soap ,my buddy shot at it first and missed and it kept coming , my first shot and his second both hit it. We burned right in the swamp .

Boolit Master

To many animals and not enough trapping gets us this problem. Wear fur!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast