RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: Keep on track

Keep on track

I hope i post this on the right section.
    I made a change on my loading chart, I added temperature.
    I "discovered" just yesterday, that temperature is important also.
    I think, this is very good for load development, and belongs also to reloading equipment.
    At least on my bench, I have some paperwork printed out that dates a few years back for every gun.
    Every change gives a different result.

I hope this is of some help, I think my translations are correct, feel free to correct me where i am wrong.

I would like to have the file in this post, but I failed to figure out how.

Date
    Dia best 8
    Powder residue
    Gun powder
    Amount powder
    Bullet type
    Bullet weight
    Leadtype/bhn
    Number loaded
    Brand and length case
    Crimp
    Sized at
    Temperature
    Remarks

Boolit Buddy
    Curious?
    Temps at the time of loading made a difference??

I have seen the ammo be hot ( sitting out in the sun as example) or cold ( winter daus vs. summer day shooting) and shoot way off from P.O.A. to P.O.I. but during loading I would think humidity would play a bigger factor??

Boolit Master

Just as important as the temperature of the time of loading and temperature of the cartridge at the time of shooting is the temperature of the cartridge and the weather at the time the rifle was sighted in. For instance, a rifle sighted in during the hot summer months will shoot to a slightly different point of aim when fired on target during the cold winter months. And the longer the range, the greater the error will be. my experience anyway, james

The temperature, group size diameter and your "best 8 out of 10" target, are filled in after shooting.
    I tried it one time, before a match, to fill in my score, they did not see the humor aldo i give a different name.

I was/am not kidding, some temperature differences ~77F/25C, and up, will make different group sizes, aldo you keep everything the same in your ammo.

I also weigh all my cast's that I am going to use at a match, again after sizing/lubing.

*******but during loading I would think humidity would play a bigger factor??******

I don't know, maybe you got a point.
    Some times at my reloading table we have as low as 30%RH to high as 90%RH.
    Starts me thinking, I store all my primers with drying gel, minimum 6 months before use.
    But what if the humidity was 90% while i was reloading, what will it do with the protection layer in the cup?
    Or the powder??
    This will be a nice excuse for a new experiment!!!He HA!
    Reload 50 at 30% and 50 at 90%RH, I will report back with this.
    I smell shiny new brass.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Just as important as the temperature of the time of loading and temperature of the cartridge at the time of shooting is the temperature of the cartridge and the weather at the time the rifle was sighted in. For instance, a rifle sighted in during the hot summer months will shoot to a slightly different point of aim when fired on target during the cold winter months. And the longer the range, the greater the error will be. my experience anyway, james
    Wouldn’t that be attributed to the density difference between winter air and summer air? I mean that the bullet is flying through not the loading room.

Boolit Master

Could be Drew, I am not a ballistic expert although I have been reloading since 1959. I do know that if I developed a load in July and sighted in for that load, that when I went hunting in October I would re-sight because the rifle would be slightly off---not much but I like dead center hits and was never satisfied with just "close". Then if I decided to hunt groundhogs in the spring, I had to go through the same re-sight process. But I love to shoot and it never bothered me. I would not try to argue ballistics with anyone at all, I am just not qualified as I have never done any ballistic research. I am too old now to worry about it that much. I just go on experience--right or wrong. james