Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 44-40 rcbs dies and case mouths

44-40 rcbs dies and case mouths

So last week I got the shell holder for 44-40 since there wasn’t one in my die box deprimed the cases then set up my sizing die and started sizing to find the die wasn’t pulling dings out of the case mouth like every other set of dies I have. Wondering if maybe they put the wrong mouth sizer in the decapping pin or is that just how these kinds of cartridges go? I’m not sure there usable as is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If the dings were there before sizing, you'll often find that sizing exacerbates them, especially with thin case necks like most WCF brass. Run the unsized cases into neck expander die before sizing to eliminate your problem.

I’ll start looking for one pretty sure the 3 die set has sizer seater and crimper only

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

On 44-40 should be sizer expander and seat/crimp. What make die set do you have? The sizer de can iron dents in out is done by the expander, some dies sets have a expander on the decapping rod that also closes the collet holding the decapping pin. These will iron out the case mouths in the sizer. pull the decapper rod and measure the ball on the decapping rod. On lee dies the rod itself. I'm betting your second die is a expander / belling die.
    Also 44-40 is a thin case wall usually .007-.008 on a side. a good lead in and polish on the expander saves a lot of cases.

I turned down a piece of steel rod with a suitable taper and stuck a wooden handle on it. I use it first on all my .44-40 cases to iron out dings before doing anything else. I found that ejecting the cases onto a concrete floor often knocks them out-of-shape!

Boolit Buddy
    Most .44-40 die sets are 3-die sets, the same as pistols and straight wall rifle cals.

The F/L sizer does not have an expander ball. There should be the separate expander/flaring die.

44-40 brass is very thin and the case mouths are easily deformed.

On new starline brass i inspect each case and use a Stanley Fat Max screwdriver (see pic) to get the deformed ones to something resembling round, then i put them partially into the expander die to round the case mouth before i size them.

I do the same inspection and correction on fired cases too. The case mouths are easily damaged just by striking the ground after ejecting.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0269 (Small).JPG 
Views:	9 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	215845
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0270 (Small).JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	215846

Boolit Grand Master

My RCBS dies are a 3 die set; sizer decapper die, expander die and a seater/crimp die. As mentioned with the 44-40, given the thin case neck walls, dings such as in your picture should be "ironed out" prior to sizing as many have mentioned. It's just one of the nuances we need to do with 44-40 cases, especially if ejected from a rifle as that's where they really get dinged up......during ejection, hitting a hard surface or getting stepped on.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I've been shooting 44wcf since the early 70's and the brass back then was very easy to dent or crease. Today's Starline is much better but can still have mouth problems. I keep a special tool on my bench that I purchased to correct bad case mouths. It's not expensive and made by Lyman, one quick turn and your brass is like new. I could not load the 44wcf without it. It also comes in handy for other cases also as it's a large tapered head that tapers down to a point. Once you have one on your bench, you will never be with out one. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

44-40 rcbs dies and case mouths

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    On 44-40 should be sizer expander and seat/crimp. What make die set do you have? The sizer de can iron dents in out is done by the expander, some dies sets have a expander on the decapping rod that also closes the collet holding the decapping pin. These will iron out the case mouths in the sizer. pull the decapper rod and measure the ball on the decapping rod. On lee dies the rod itself. I'm betting your second die is a expander / belling die.
    Also 44-40 is a thin case wall usually .007-.008 on a side. a good lead in and polish on the expander saves a lot of cases.
    Rcbs 44-40 3die RN dies

Cajun what’s the exact name of the tool your talking about?

Well I’m a tard one of the 3 dies is a expanding die and cleans up the trouble spots better then any of my punches or screw drivers. as fragile as the brass is I should probably wait til I find some boolits to load in them before doing all the brass prep

Last edited by TaylorS; 03-06-2018 at 09:03 PM.
    Using Tapatalk