Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWideners
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone save pics of targets?

This is a good idea!!!

Being relatively new to reloading and casting I am interested in anything that can help me find a load that I and my gun like to shoot. At this time I am only reloading for enjoyable shooting on my in process home range (30 yds). I am also going to get a chronograph to help with load development since I am just loading in the middle of the range for my components. I would like to eventually shoot for accuracy just to see what my ammo, gun and I are capable of,,,but right now I am paper plate accurate and for plinking and defense this is good enough for me.

I did keep the target that I shot the first time I fired my new 1911,,,I like the reasons and ways stated above for keeping targets. This is what I like about the forum,,,the little ideas that can really help.
    Short,Fat,and Slow,,,Yup I love the .45

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    I save (at least most of) my targets for reference, very rarely take pics of them.

Slim
    Likewise here. Save all load development targets for rifle. For handguns, I shoot at a 3"x5" white notecard. I record all the data on that notecard about load, shooting characteristics, etc. Those notecards are separated by caliber and go into ziplock bags for future reference. Final thing I do is record those same notes in my handloaders logbook/notebook.

Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    funny how the Same loads seem to shoot worse as I get older.
    I'm having those same woes. I think it's because the powder and brass have gotten a little bit older and less accurate as a result.

Boolit Master

I take pictures of all Targets, Clip the pictures area that shows group and pertinent Bull/Scale Grid/Ring area to keep file size down, and use excel to capture all the load/bullet/lube/WX/etc... data. Over time I have found this useful. Might be that I run across a powder I have not had for a couple of years, or decide to change powder/primer/boolit/bullet etc.. and want to see loads and how the performed in the past. Or maybe I read on the forum where someone is having success (or Failure) and want to compare to what my experience was in the past.

Yep; I find taking pics and record data on excel spread sheets; even the bad (but not the Horrendous where few to no rounds hit a target).
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nah not me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    I suppose many save targets or pictures of targets. I just started to save pictures of targets on the lap top. I down loaded a My Notes app from the Microsoft store and it seems to work good. It's not a spread sheet so it's not heavy on data but I can jot down load info and attach a picture in from Photos.

The target pic is pretty helpful and they populate on the bottom of the note.
    I save pictures on the PC for load work up for each rifle. Makes it so much easier to track, especially if it takes a long period of time to find that perfect combination

Boolit Master

I take pictures every range outing and every load so I can track the performance of various loads. I also take pics of my GSSF match targets to help identify trends or issues.

From my match last week...

Attachment 215743

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20180304_19_15_12_Pro.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	215765

I think I finally scored something more zippy with the 38-40 Contender Carbine. Shooting 20.5 grains of 300-mp and a NOE 403-200 with the HP pins (180 grains). These were sprayed with HF yellow powder, weight separated and using no gas check. I'm leaning on this boolit pretty hard but I think 150 yard milk jugs full of water should be nervous! The boolit breaks up hitting a jug of water at 10 yards sending chunks of lead through the plastic while spreading out it flat.

Had a Squib then started adding 0.5 grains of dacron filler. Distance is 100 yards using a 5 power scope.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Master
    No photos for me as I am not that computer savvy. I keep the targets, both good and bad, from load development to remind me what works, or not. Along with this I maintain a journal with details about the various firearms I have tested. It tells me a lot about my older work where targets were not saved. Each target has firearm and load data written on it to help my weak memory. As the muscles wet softer and the eyes more dim, I am sure that before too long I will be reading targets with powder burns on them from being so close to the muzzle... At least I still get up and out to the range.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    No photos for me as I am not that computer savvy. I keep the targets, both good and bad, from load development to remind me what works, or not. Along with this I maintain a journal with details about the various firearms I have tested. It tells me a lot about my older work where targets were not saved. Each target has firearm and load data written on it to help my weak memory. As the muscles wet softer and the eyes more dim, I am sure that before too long I will be reading targets with powder burns on them from being so close to the muzzle... At least I still get up and out to the range.
    I do pretty much the same. I use a printer to make my targets, on standard size paper. After shooting, all pertinent info is recorded, including ambient temperature, wind conditions, group size and load data. Holes are added with a three ring binder punch to store them in loose-leaf binders according to caliber.

Winelover

Boolit Master

For those that are computer oriented, this is how I keep Load, Target, Shot and Chronograph records.

The Precision Load Records Application from the Precision Shooting Software Store does it all.

This is the link to the online Help File for the Load Records application.

First I Print out the target I want to use.

Then, take the target and a chronograph to the range and shoot a target through the chronograph.
    I can either take a laptop to the range or return with the target and chronograph to my desktop computer then:

Create a new target record keyed to the firearm that was used.

Import the Chronograph data while creating shot records for the new target record.

Electronically score the shots on the target.

Analyze the shot coordinates and chronograph data

Evaluate and rate the Load and target.

I now have an instantly retrievable, evaluated and complete record of all Load, Target, Shot and Chronograph data keyed to the firearm used

If the target is exceptional and one I would like to keep or display, I Run the target back through the printer and print the Load Data, weather, shot coordinates, chronograph values and target statistics on the bottom of the actual target.

Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Grand Master
    pertnear---was only three shots @100yards. Saw that I had a tiny hole and when I notice that I get a bit nervous and will invariably pull the next or the fifth shot and ruin the group. So, I quit at three.
    Caliber is kind of like a 6.5 mm BR and this was only the second load I had tried with this bullet. Built the gun for our Varmint Silhouette matches here, 150 meters to 500 yds. Went up in powder charge a few tenths of a grain and shot again the next day and came out with a 0.066" group for three shots, my best group ever!!! Blind squirrel syndrome you know!!

Boolit Master

My challenge was getting almost 3 decades of targets and load data into a computer. For years I kept putting it off. Starting a couple of years ago I rose to the challenge. Hopefully this will help someone.

I have an old Canon g4 with lots of glass and a moderate but sensitive 5MP sensor. I don't have to crop or resize as long as I photograph thoughtfully, as file size is already moderate, and the pic proportion is not that awful HD ratio.

I photographed targets straight down filling the frame with good lighting against a contrasting color background so holes show through clearly. Roughly 700 targets (I know I'm a slacker).

I photographed them in rough chronological order 40 or 50 at a time. I put them in an owncloud directory. Later at my leisure on another laptop I sorted them into a date named directories and created a readme text file in each with easily indexible information like guns, loads, weather, range, etc.

OwnCloud replicates all my changes on my desktop and both laptops.

Now that I have this "database" to reference ( I just completed the process last month) I am figuring out how to integrate it with my LibreOffice relaoding notes, which I scanned in.

What I learned is that I need to mark sight-in targets as well as the rest.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Grand Master

Not only do I save the targets, I record all the data right on the target. The good ones go on the wall so I can brag on them and I can see which load was a good one.
    A visual reminder of the load is a lot more informative. The exceptional bug hole groups get cut out and carried in my wallet right in front of the kids pictures...can't bring the wall with you and you gotta show them really good groups off to your drinking/shooting buddies.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    save actual targets in a 3 ring binder
    with load,bullet,distance,alloy and date
    for future reference
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I used to take a picture of the first target with a new firearm, and when I traded the firearm off I'd delete the photo. I didn't do it with my newest pistol, however....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Mine are in a 3 ring binder with data besides the target
    308 Win, cast bullet, 4227, etc, etc
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I have piles of them. one I framed and have hanging in the living room. it is a one shot tie beaker. I pin wheeled it. 25yd. off hand open sights with a muzzleloader. .440 round ball .020 patch 45 gr. 3f.

Vendor Sponsor

Yes .. I save them on the phone and in the computer for ref/safety purposes
    Shoot too many calibers to keep it all in the head ..
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master

I save all targets- good or bad. I put them in labeled folders according to the gun. The best, most reliable groups have the loads written on the front of the folder. I frequently reference back to them.
    At one with the gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast