Snyders JerkyRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone save pics of targets?

Boolit Master

Yes, I keep targets with pertinent info written on the lower left corner: date, gun, load, distance, place, etc. Looking over the targets over the years I find something very interesting and one of the reasons I keep the targets - not the original reason. Shooting at different times of the day with varying degrees of light, etc., the same firearm with the same load will impact the target at different inexplicable points. After 25 years of this I still cannot fully pin down why the same gun with the same load will impact a different point. I'm talking handguns with open sights, of course.
    Big Boomer
    Last edited by Big Boomer; 03-10-2018 at 11:01 AM. Reason: addition

Boolit Man

I started using a simple program that I read about in Handloader magazine a few months ago. It's called "On Target Precision Calculator" and there's a free version you can try out. I liked it so paid the fee to install on my PC.
    I scan the targets after getting back from the range. You measure a reference line on the target and then set that distance on the image, I just use my calipers to measure distance between two lines on the target. You can mark your aimpoint on the image. You select caliber and mark bullet holes. The program computes all of the measurements. I particularly like the concept of Mean to Center. My minimal understanding of the concept is that it reflects the mean distance any bullet will land from the center of the group. Import data from my Caldwell Precision G2 chronograph and display as notes. Print it out. Punch three holes and file in a binder.Attachment 215987
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1tgt.jpg  

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I shoot at the printed bull's-eye of the "target/s" out there. Then, after 6 rounds, I shoot a round away from the eye cluster and use that as my next bull's-eye. By the time I am done with 5-8 new bull's-eye's, there is not much left of the target but confetti! I hate walking out just to get a target to brag about. I know what I can/have done and that's all that matters to me. Kinda like 18 holes of golf. Why keep the score card? You are really playing against yourself in golf. My target practice is the same way. I do not or ever will shoot in competitions.

I write on the ammo box all the info I will ever need.

Boolit Master

I save some for future reference, also to show myself my results are repeatable. Red targets are 22 Cal. pellet rifle. Bottom target is black powder.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	216160Click image for larger version. 

Name:	010.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	216161
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails target pics from new scope.jpg   44 target 3.jpg   Docs_boolets_2.JPG   212gr_Mihec_Solid_Flat_Nose.JPG  
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

I've used a load book for a long time. It's an old Franklin Day Planner and it has held up pretty good for over 20 years. It has section a section for deer hunts too, like how the hunt went and types of firearm, weather and temperature. It's starting to run out of sections for new cartridges and doesn't have any target pictures.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Boolit Grand Master

I take pics of good groups to send to my shooting buddy if he cancels on me. I used to label & save targets but they piled up and I never looked at them. I'll also take pics to help with my load notebook when I get home.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy

This is from an M1 Garand, standing at 50 yards. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1 Garand 3 shot group.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	219647

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123