WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Shot my first J.C.Garand shoot since I lost an eye....

Boolit Master

Shot my first J.C.Garand shoot since I lost an eye....

Had my lowest score since I started shooting it about 15 years ago, but I am not ashamed of it. The left (non-shooting) eye was lost when cataract surgery went bad. I had two more surgeries to try to recover some sight, but they also failed. The right (shooting) eye is continuing to go downhill with cataracts, but I can still see well enough to drive. I am NOT going to let anyone touch that eye until it gets so bad I cannot drive.

My son has never been to a J.C.Garand shoot. I had invited him several times, but he was always busy. One was coming up, so he asked me to go with him. He has a CMP Garand that I gave him about 10 years ago. I doubt that he ever shot it. I had, before I gave it to him. When we got to the range, my first problem was that I could not make out the numbers above the targets. I picked out a target that had a distinctive tree behind and a little to the right of the target. My son told me the number. Then I found the same number on the firing line and staked it out. I also could not see worth a darn when the black sat on top of the front sight. No longer was their a thin sliver of white between the ball and the sight.

However, I accounted for all my shots, on my target. In fact, I had one extra one during rapid fire prone from the guy to the left of me. I told him his shot was the one in the 10 ring. Anyway, my prone slow and prone fast firing scores were only about 5 to 8 points lower than before the eye was lost. The standing was downright bad, though, so the total score was only 181, about 45 points less than my lowest score up to this point. The tremor that has developed on my left hand probably has something to do with that. Naturally, my son did better, but I would have been very disappointed if he didn't. We both got our certificates for buying the new rifles that will be coming in soon. All in all, it was a good day.

I am still seeing well enough to clean my targets in CAS, although, I am about 10% slower than I was before I lost the eye. One thing that I have learned since losing my eye is how many other people at CAS have various eye deficiencies. Yet, they almost always hit their target. My wife says we are shooting by instinct now instead of using our eyes. She may have a point.

Boolit Master
    Good for you Harry and good going.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Hang in there, buddy. Some of the world's best shooting is with the Garand, nothing else quite like it. Having had cataract surgery myself in both eyes I can really understand your story and empathize with your condition. Although the eye doctor's staff urged me to have both done at the same time, I declined saying I'd wait 3 months between operations to make sure the first one was satisfactory. Thankfully, both turned out well; but nothing is as good as the eyes of your youth.

Boolit Mold
    Great job. My hats off to you for not giving up on shooting. Keep up the good work.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Cant keep a good Man down
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Master

Both of my cataract surgeries went fine. Glad you're still shooting and hope the next doctor does it right.