WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are the biggest changes over the years?

What are the biggest changes over the years?

As I dive into this new world of casting and reloading, reading through the books I have and from multiple sources, I raise the question, how have things changed over the several years? Probably a stupid question but I have found there is some legitimacy to the old ways of doing things. What are some of the biggest things that have stuck with you and what has technology and innovation forced you to change your way of doing things?

Boolit Master
    Powder coating bullets is one of the major changes over the years. Size and hardness do not seam to be as big of a factor when a bullet is powder coated.(PC) Lubes have change as well. Most are not as sticky icky as in the old days. Powders have come a long way. So many more then back in the day. Cleaner also.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master

I agree; powder coating is a big one.

As much as I hate to say it, it’s been revolutionary for cast bullets. I didn’t want to like it because it just seemed hokey, trendy, and too darned new-fangled for my tastes, but now I can never go back to greasy, smelly old wax.

Boolit Master

Dillon progressives.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

In Remembrance

To me it is the tidal change from Lyman's decades of preaching BORE size/HARDNESS to the gurus here teaching us about THROAT fit and Powder Coating! TYVM gentlemen!
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

Moderator Emeritus

Microwax lubes, meplates, round flats vs SWC, the trend from hard being 1 in 16 tin to lead reversing again from straight lino to acww and 50-50 mixes.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Wet stainless steel tumblers.

Smokeless powder. I still don't trust it but I'm starting to warm up to it a bit.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by HABCAN View Post
    To me it is the tidal change from Lyman's decades of preaching BORE size/HARDNESS to the gurus here teaching us about THROAT fit and Powder Coating! TYVM gentlemen!
    I am with you on that. Lymans instructions on hardness and bore size caused me more grief in the years I started casting to the point I nearly gave it up. All I got was leading and inaccuracy.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master

As others have already posted the first (most recent) that comes to mind: DIY Powder Coat. But, upon reflection, CNC machining for molds and sizing tools has to be right up there, too. When I first started casting, unless you went to a custom mold maker, all that was available were 'catalogue' molds from Lyman, RCBS, and Lee...and, let's face it, early on Lee's QC left much to be desired. Today, though, we've got NOE, Arsenal, Mihec, etc. offering a plethora of high quality molds, made to order, at reasonable prices. Whatever you want to shoot, there's a most likely an available mold that fits your need.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

The reduction of lead wheel weights in favor of zinc and steel

More sources of clean lead varieties such as rotometals

PID devices

Boolit Master
    Oh man this is a fun thread. We get you confused yet?

Moderator Emeritus

I'm still using WWs and molds that are 40/50 years old, so I do em the same way.
    grit yer teeth an pull the trigger

Outer Rondacker, No I am just sitting back and watching this unfold. I enjoy good conversation even if am not exactly up to par with whats being said, I hope to at least gain some insight.

Boolit Master
    Smoke Eater, I just noticed you are fairly new to the forum. So let me say Welcome to the forum. You will read and read and next thing you know you are schooling others.

No no when I said this is fun, it is to me. I love looking back and seeing change and progress. Funny thing is I hate change. I love seeing others insight.

I tagged the thread so I could read all the different input.

One big change for me was going from Lyman two cavity moulds to Lee six cavity moulds.

Powder coating and wet tumblers ( as stated before) are tops for me.. I keep hoping Trump will open the lead mines back up

One area is the loss of true craftsman who were responsible.Not a simple statement... the talent that "was" available at say,Lyman(amongst many other firms) just ain't there anymore?Replaced by CNC button pushers.Ooops,if that sounds offensive,it's not the intent.Further,back in the day,there was no internet to confirm or decry certain aspects of handloading. We had books.Somewhere round the early 90's when printing processes went digital is another node.Used to be you had to enough gumption to get something published,now it's just a matter of..... pushing more buttons.

So,what's changed .... and ain't sayin it has to be bad,is how the information "highway" is paved.Good luck with your project.

Shopdog you make a great point. My grandfather used to cast for black powder rifles and pistols when I was young. Of course, I didn't pay attention to the details I just enjoyed watching him shoot at night. I know a lot of what he did seem trial and error. I believe the information "highway" has allowed new comers such as my self to avoid mistakes or at minimum know how to avoid them. With a world of instant gratification, the art of learning has somewhat become a faster pace. This is why I posted this thread. I hope some of the ol timers will chime in and comment on some of their lessons learned.

Boolit Grand Master

Powder coating is a big one. PID controllers. The vast array of affordable custom molds. And yeah, the internet! Info at the push of a button.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast