MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLee Precision
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remington 141

Boolit Buddy

Remington 141

Anybody have any experience with a Remington 141 pump in 35 Remington?

Boolit Buddy
    I have the model 14 in .35 Remington, not sure what if any differce there is. Shoots great with Noe clone of 35-200

Boolit Master

My two best friends each have a 141 one in 35 the other in 32. Fine old rifles, we finally got the 32 up and running with some brass made by Grumpa from 38-55 brass, it belonged to my friends grandfather The 35 has quite a history as well, we had a new stock made some years ago because the old one took a pellet of buckshot in a pig hunt in northern CA, it also took the largest Buck my friend has ever taken and he's pound for pound the best deer hunter I know, taking 11 nice bucks in 13 years with a bow on public lands not hunting over bait. It's a monster 7 point that would have been maybe 14 had half of one side not been broken off. The cartridge case head medallion I always thought looked cool on the 141.

The only difference between the 14 and 141 is the thicker wood on the 141's buttstock and forearm. Wonderful rifles but a tad heavy and the spiral mag tube is ingenious!

Boolit Buddy
    Saw one in a pawn shop but it looked like it had been used hard for a lot of years. They wanted 250 for it out the door. Went home and did a little research and as Texas said the spiral mag tube is really a cool feature.

The Model 141 is a great rifle. They can still be found for decent prices. I have both a Model 14 in .30 Remington and a Model 141 in .35 Remington. They are very similar. I don't know if there are any internal differences, but externally the 141 has a little bit different stock and wood on the pump. The 141 has a ramped front sight while the Model 14 just has a small dovetailed front sight. The 141 has studs for attaching sling swivels but the 14 does not. My 141 has an aftermarket Redfield adjustable peep sight. The stock rear sight was removed and a blank put in its place. I don't have the original rear sight and am not sure what it originally came with. When I bought the 141 I got a bunch of loaded .35 Rem ammo (all jacketed). So, I haven't made up any cast loads for it yet. Although I do have an NOE copy of the RCBS 200gr FN bullet. It has worked well in another .35 cal I have and I'd expect it to perform well in the .35 Rem. As soon as I finish off my jacketed ammo, I'll start putting together a good cast load for it.

If you can get one at a good price, I say to snatch it up. It is a nice gun and I expect them to keep going up in value. Their prices currently, aren't too high. I think I got my 141 about six years ago at a gun shop in Denver. If I remember correctly, maybe paid about $325 for it. It had been in there for a good six months before I bought it. I'd love to find an original Model 14 or 141 in a carbine.

Boolit Buddy
    $250 is a good price, is there holes in it for scope mount (rare to fine one without holes). These are old hunting guns and show wear. I would buy it. They are machined from steel and fitted by craftmen, forget to mention the large screw on the side is for easy takedown

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like I will be back to the pawn shop and see if I have something I can trade. Fell in love with 35 cal after i had JES rebore my 308 to 358 Win.

I hope it's still there!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought a 141 a few years ago in .25 Rem.

Mine has not been D&T’ed and I need better sights to offset my aging eyes. My rifle is well worn and after a big kurfuffle here on Boolits I went and referenced another local gun shop than I bought it from and they said I paid par at 295$ and in it’s condition it would never command big bucks. Their advice: Take it to a gunsmith and get them to “drill the hell out of it”.

I wanted to install a receiver mounted appeture sight but their point was that it cost little more to have the top drilled for a future scope mount when the gunsmith had it all squared up already.

It is a bit amusing because I bought this Remington rifle because I wanted to save a vintage Winchester 1894 in .25-35 Winchester and keep it original by drilling the Remington instead and shoot it more.

I have not had anything done to the 141 sight wise but I need to. Buckhorns just do not work for anymore.

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 03-04-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    Rem 141 in 35 Rem is one of my favorite rifles. One of the few rifle boolit moulds Lee makes in 6-cavity is their version of the RCBS 205 grainer, and my rifle likes it best of all I have tried. Get the rifle. Get the mould. Enjoy.

And guys, the spiral mag tube is mostly a marketing thing and not a practical thing. Yes, if you hold your mouth just right you can load the magazine with pointy 35 cal bullets, but JC himself could not get a pointy 25 or 30 loaded: the spiral is so effective at off-centering the round that the point jams between the magazine and the base of the round in front. You can (because of the way the 14/141s load) go with one pointy nose in the chamber and two in magazine if you want but the spiral tube keeps you from loading the other three in the tube.

Boolit Master
    I will caution anyone loading pointed bullets to carefully check cartridge OAL. I loaded some .30 Rem with spitzers without checking COAL, then proceeded to jam rifle up but good. It required disassembly to get the offending cartridge out, so only FPoint or RN for me. That rifle for $250 sounds like a lot of value, If it was a well used Win 94 it would be twice the price.

Boolit Master
    Grab it! 250 is a good buy if it's all there and works, do check the bore. I have both a 30 and a 35 , like them both. They are relatively heavy but they are accurate with cast, can't say about jackets. My 35 really likes the 200rcbs clone by NOE, easy inch groups at 50 with the 2x scope that came on it. I think the spiral mag tube was a way to reduce friction for cycling and the marketing people latched on the pointy bullet thing. Personally dont see the pointof a pointy bullet in the 35 rem, but thats just me. As stated watch the OAL , a bit too long leaves to a mighty tite tieup! Fine rifle from a different time.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post

The only difference between the 14 and 141 is the thicker wood on the 141's buttstock and forearm.

The Model 14 was issued with a 22" bbl; the Model 141 with a 24" bbl.

I've had both models, both in .35 Rem - They're accurate, and the workmanship in them is second to none, but I found them relatively heavy to tote around the woods, and noisy to operate, especially in the presence of game.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

I've owned a 141 in .35 Rem and a 760 in 30-06. I actually prefer the 760, truth be told.

Boolit Master
    I have a 141, a 760 and a Marlin 336. All are 35 Rem.
    I like shooting all of them.
    The 141 is from 1946. The 760 and 336 are from 1952.
    EDG