Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pots to avoid for smelting

Boolit Master
    I have used a cast iron dutch oven from academy for many years. 60# of alloy is about it's max. I've gotten to where I worry about it every time I use it. Inspired by this thread I got the valve cut off (it wasn't pretty) of an old 20# propane tank yesterday and filled it with water. I know I'll feel safer with a steel pot.

just to let you guys know I have a special going on this month buy a large pot and get a small pot and a ingot mold free cost $35 + shipping D Crockett

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by toallmy View Post
    Yes avoid aluminum , use steal if possible .
    Steal it from your wife and make sure it's not one of her good stainless steel pots or cast iron pots....you may want to go buy your own...some wives get all bent out of shape when they discover you cooking lead in their favorite gumbo pot.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I use a pair of 6-8'' C clamps for handles. Works well. In this case bigger is better.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by huntnman View Post
    I use a pair of 6-8'' C clamps for handles. Works well. In this case bigger is better.
    The tabs, or metal handle or bail of a pot of molten lead is about the same temperature as the molten lead. When you pick up the pot the weight really compresses the insulation in your glove and pushes the hot metal hard against your hand. Larger handles such as the C clamps suggested that will spread the force out more, or handles that are only put on to move the pot like vice grips or C clamps can also be a solution.

With my heavy insulated leather gloves I could probably rest my hand on the edge of the hot Dutch oven almost indefinitely but even tipping the pot by a tab handle is probably 30 seconds or so at best, possibly less if the amount of lead in the pot makes it heavy.

I wouldn't clamp onto cast iron, I think the leverage and focused force might be inclined to crack it. Steel pot (or larger molds) those are good options to try.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I use a cut off Freon tank. Just finished a 50 lbs load and was not quite half full. Of course you can cut it as short as you need. If you have a friend in the HVAC business its easy to get them for free.

Boolit Master
    If you don’t need the capacity of a 20# propane tank try using a 10# tank. The 10# tanks that I’ve see are smaller in diameter.

A 1 lb propane bottle empty will fly 50 feet in the air when shot. Still vapors left. I actually keep all the ones we have empty at work and shoot them at about 25 yards or so with hand guns. It's going straight up and no other direction from the 100s I've shot.

Boolit Master
    A friend uses his lathe to cut the 20lb propane tanks.Course it is a rather large lathe.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, lots of warnings about pots for melting lead. One thing I didn't see mentioned about aluminum; while the melting point is only 300 degrees (that's pretty close when melting lead over a gas flame!) aluminum doesn't change color when it gets hot. You could be melting lead in an aluminum pot and everything looks fine when suddenly the bottom of the pot falls off, no warning. Aluminum does not need to become a liquid to fail, just hot enough to loose structural strength, and with the weight of lead, you'd be dancing around some hot lead (lead melts at 600 roughly and aluminum at 1200 roughly but smelting lead can run much higher and failure of aluminum ismuch lower) ...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Any reason to avoid "Tri-Ply clad stainless steel" (Costco product)? It has an aluminum core but SS inside and out.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't try it. Probably a very thin (clad) covering of SS but the strength of the pot comes from the aluminum. Just get a 2 quart stainless steel pot from Goodwill. While you're there get a slotted spoon and a soup ladle, and mebbe a muffin pan...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12