MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frankenstein Dillon 650 with Hornady L-n-L powder measure

Boolit Master

Frankenstein Dillon 650 with Hornady L-n-L powder measure

Why you ask? Why would I put a L-n-L Powder measure on a Dillon 650 when the 650's powder measure ain't broke?

A couple of reasons, it is kinda broke. It really leaks fine grained powder. I tried a couple of different fixes, none worked really well.

I also wanted to use my Lyman M-Dies. Those of you who have used the M-Die or other manufactures equivalent 2-step expander dies, know why. The problem is, that to do that you have to move the powder measure down a hole to station #3. When you do that, you lose the arm that pulls down on the powder measure's rod. I might have been able to cobble together something but I thought I would try this first.

Station #1 EGW Undersize sizing die Sizes and decaps and primes. (Testing this die out)
    Station #2 Lyman M-die Expands neck and then bells the case mouth
    Station #3 Hornady L-n-L case activated powder measure and funnel (no expand or bell)
    Station #4 GSI bullet feeder seating die/stem
    Station #5 Taper crimp die...had a Lee FCD carbide kinda changing to a Dillon.

The good:
    It is smoother and doesn't clunk or make all kinds of clanking noise. No jerkiness at all.
    No leaked powder all over the shell plate
    All stations perform exactly like I'd hoped. The M-die is back!
    Powder charge accuracy is about the same...so far.
    Set up is an absolute snap. If you were challenged setting up the through powder expander, that problem is gone.

The bad:
    It's a heavier pull on the lever. The Hornady has a small spring but the Dillon had none.
    It's heavier enough that I have to get used to it and not think I have something jammed. Maybe a bit like the old spring return Dillon powder measure.
    I lost my powder check station. I hated to do this but the loads I use now will completely overflow the case so I'm in no danger of double charging.

I'll work with it a while and then re-evaluate.
    [

Boolit Buddy
    I don't really feel the spring on the Hornady unless it's because that is all I have been using and that's what it should be.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My Dillon measure doesn't leak Accurate Arms 2230 which is really fine and flows like water.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VHoward View Post
    My Dillon measure doesn't leak Accurate Arms 2230 which is really fine and flows like water.
    I'm sure there are those that don't have this problem....It's unfortunate that I do and W231 is all over the place.
    [

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by XDROB View Post
    I don't really feel the spring on the Hornady unless it's because that is all I have been using and that's what it should be.

I think it may be the combination of the spring and the fact the press stroke is lifting the entire powder measure up an inch or so. The measure, with the weight of the powder plus the spring, is more than the sliding the Dillon powder slide, at least that's my thinking.

I didn't do myself any favors when I added an undersized reloading die either. I was thinking about it and I added quite a bit of resistance to each stroke.

#1 Undersize sizer die is a bit harder to do.
    #2 M-Die is now expanding/belling cases
    #3 Lifting powder measure and stretching return spring
    #4 Seating bullet
    #5 taper crimping

So I started thinking (never a great thing) and I now have some sort of resistance at every station. It's not a great deal individually but taken as a total, I think it added up to something that can be easily felt.
    [

Banned
    I don't have a problem with mine and W231 works well as its my main powder for pistol peloading.

Boolit Buddy
    I also use W31 for 45acp, but use Power Pistol for 9 and 380.

Boolit Master
    What can I say? You folks have a tighter measure than I do...that was only part of it. More than that, I wanted to use an M-Die.

To maybe help out on the heavier operating issue...I ordered an Inline Fabrications Ergo handle. It's supposed to give better feel, maybe it has a bit more leverage as well.

Like I said, I can always twiddle it back to the old measure but I do really like the 2-step style M-dies as I load all cast bullets....and the ease of adjustment.
    [

Banned
    I did make one small modification to my 650 and that was to remove the spring and ball assembly under the plate and remove one coil off the spring and then re-install the assembly. This small little mod kept powder from being spilled when the turret rotates to the next position. I am wondering if you have the correct measure bar installed in the powder measure. Yes, it is normal for the powder measure assemble to raise an amount when it is cycled. With respect to the funnel.... I have a funnel from Mr. Bulletfeeder or what ever his name is and it seems to work better than the original 45acp funnel did. I can keep within .1 grain

Boolit Master
    i have 2 dillon 650's ...neither use dillon powder measures ...i have 8 hornady powder measures each one on a specific caliber head, each with case activated drop assemblies.

nothing new here.

I'm sure there are those that don't have this problem....It's unfortunate that I do and W231 is all over the place.
    Might get Dillon to swap out your measure while your playing with the Hornady one. When I started I used 231 exclusively for 5 different calibers on two different presses with no problems.

I had thought you were using a super fine ball powder.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    Might get Dillon to swap out your measure while your playing with the Hornady one. When I started I used 231 exclusively for 5 different calibers on two different presses with no problems.

I had thought you were using a super fine ball powder.
    Well...it starts at w231...I tried some that looked like freakin' flour dust...that was a total disaster. I likely would have stayed with Dillon and pursued a better fix but I wanted to use a separate M-die and it's a tougher prospect moving the Dillon to station #3.
    [

It wouldn't be that difficult to move it but you would loose the fail safe rod unless you made another bracket. That said you don't have a failsafe with the LNL measure either.

In any case send the Dillon measure back while you are not using it and have them replace what's wrong with it. If it's leaking with a flake powder like 231, I bet H380 would run out of it as fast as you could pour it in and I use H380 in them as well without problems.

Boolit Master
    I'm very likely to do that. Right now 'Frank" is running ok. I'm still breaking in the powder measure. With rotary drum type measures, they don't seem to throw consistent charges until you've run a hopper full or so of powder through them. I'm about there now and the charges thrown through the pistol rotor seems to have settled down.

The shell plate is clean of powder, first that way in a long time. I do miss my powder check station. The M-die is sheer joy the way it allows the GSI bullet feeder to seat the bullets. My standard bullet for my .45 is a H&G #68 180 gr SWC HP BB NLG coated with bronze Hi-Tek and it runs through the GSI and Dillon like stupid good.
    [

Boolit Man
    Op, I'm wondering how you are priming in the first station?

Boolit Buddy
    Whatever works for ya. I've used a Lee Auto Disk on my Dillon 550b for several years. It uses to leak with 231, but I applied this fix, and it works fine now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e18VDrJdE3Y

Boolit Mold
    you might want to check funnels sold on ebay by photoescape, - they have expander built in.
    I also had leakage, - polishing of powder bar and bottom of the case took care of it.

I am going to set up one or two of my 650 tool heads like the op did since I have several rcbs and hornady drum type measures that I hardly ever use. I will also use a m die in station 2. I will set them up for a couple of specific cast bullet loads so I swap out quickly.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had a Hornady measure on my 650 for a couple of years. Use it with the charge through expander. Works great. I think it throws light charges better than the Dillon. I see no reason for a fail safe on it. I've never had a powder checker, so nothing to miss there.

My Dillon measure is pretty sloppy. I ought to send it back for a refurb. Really ought to send the entire kit back for an upgrade. Felt like I got burnt the last time I did that though.

Banned

my dillons don't leak but that said I hands down like the hornady measure better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast