WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 300 BO milk jug test and signs of what appears to be cutting.

300 BO milk jug test and signs of what appears to be cutting.

Was out testing a load in my 300 BO today. This load is close to pure lead cast form a NOE HTC312-137-RN mold and powder coated with a thin coat of grey. I have both gas check and plain base. My goal is two fold. One to get as soft a bullet as I can that will shoot 1-2 inch groups at 100 yards with a gas check and also find out how hard the lead needs to be to shoot that same load with a plain base. I am using 18.5g of CFE Black as this load is running about 1850 fps and is showing promise with the gas check bullets. I have attached a picture showing a bullet captured in a milk jug test. The bullet was found in the fourth milk jug and weighed approximately 127 grains. You can see what appears to me to be cutting on the base of the bullet. My next test will be with 50PL/50WW. I am hoping this tightens up my grouping with the gas checks while keeping good expansion. Not sure if this will be hard enough to prevent gas cutting with a plain base bullet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	300 BO.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	215655

I'm A Honcho!
    What accuracy are you seeing with that combo?
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Banned
    Interested to see what you come up with. I'm playing with H110 and 312-155-2R to find the magic combination for no gas check shooting.
    Have a 30 cal GC maker but would rather skip that step it I can.

GC about 2 inches off hand at 30 yards. For me that normally equates to a 1-3 inch group at 100 yards with a rest. But i have yet to confirm that. I still have 20 loaded up with gas checks for the range to see how they perform at 50 and 100 yards rested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOhH...fKThXPl&t=639s is doing an online test of the 310 version of this bullet if you would like to see his comparison of H110 and CFE Black.

I like how it is staying together. I have been playing with 8 BHN in the 45 acp, have added a touch of copper to the mix in hopes to keep it all in one piece.

Banned

I think I would stick with the gas check.
    try an alloy of 40-1 for about 10 and an alloy of 30-1 for about 10 then an alloy of 25-1.
    that is 40 lbs of lead to 1 lb of tin.
    actually I would start at say 20-1 and add 5 lbs of lead to 25 then 5 more lbs to get to 30 etc.
    that would give you a good chance at expansion and help with the rifling engagement.