Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Aftermarket 22tcm 1911 barrel?

Boolit Buddy

Aftermarket 22tcm 1911 barrel?

Does anyone make a 22tcm 1911 barrel besides Armscor/RIA? I've got a RIA 1911-A1 in 9mm that I've fitted with a 38super barrel. Now I'd like to add the 22tcm barrel to it, but they don't sale barrels, just conversion kits.

Their kit requires the frame to be cut for Para/Clarke style ramped barrel. This would be ok, except that the kit is $449 then the cost of cutting the frame, and the gun and both my barrels cost less than that when I bought it. Then on top of that, my 9mm and 38 Super barrels will be usless. From what I've read, the first 22tcm barrels were un-ramped colt style, but current ones are ramped.

If no one sells colt style 22tcm barrels, is there someone who could make one?

Thanks

Banner Sponsor

I wonder if you could take a 45acp barrel and turn down a 22 barrel to insert like a barrel liner?
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/593830B
    Here's a 223 barrel for $65 that could be used as a blank and could make a few liners.

Boolit Master
    Im gonna look into the sleeved 45 barrel. I want a 22tcm, but no need for yet another gun, but a drop in barrel is not a big deal. I have a lathe so a barrel/sleeve would not be hard. And you can rent a reamer vs buying. Is there a market for these barrels?

ADMIN

I know of a couple of guys that would be interested in 1911 22tcm barrels.
    You might want to hold off posting anything else in this thread about potentially offering 22tcm 1911 barrels as this isn't S&S and it would be considered a "feeler" post and against the rules.
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

RIA sells 22tcm parts to make an entire upper. think they're sold through advanced tactical

ADMIN

I checked the Advance Tactical url. They don't have the 22tcm barrels listed under parts and under kits they sell the complete upper with a mag.
    The "kit" price is $450.00. I think that it would be better to purchase a complete weapon.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Well, if the early ones were not ramped and the later ones are, why do you suppose the company changed?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Yea $450 is not much less than a whole gun.

I looked on their site the barrel they sell is 1-16, or what they used in 22 hornet, fine for a 40gr bullet but not much heavier. Green mountain had a 223/5.56 barrel in various twist for $57, so no alot of money wasted on an experiment. Slowest they had was 1-12 twist, but cant see why it wouldn't work. I have a chunk of .451 barrel, was thinking ream out the rifling see how well a turned down 223 barrel would fit. I do not have a 45 1911 barrel laying around to ruin. But sure seems like it would work, I have a 7.62 Tok barrel for my 1911 now, plenty of wall thickness being 30 cal.

Ramped vs non ramped is usually case support. But my nonramped 7.62 tok barrel works fine, even uses the same case, you can convert 223 to 7.62 tok or 22tcm. So no reason nonramped drop in wouldn't work.

I know data and loads are limited to 40 gr or less. Heavier you would have issues w OAL length and lose case capacity. And also twist. A sleeve could be any twist. I wonder if a cast 55 or even the 80gr mold I have would work in a faster twist?

Boolit Master
    They have a forum dedicated to the 22 TCM here http://22tcm.net
    They usually use the longer bullets in the bolt action rifle or custom made rifles. Too long and it is a single shot scenario then. But some guys have run heavier bullets in their pistols though. It is tricky due to the maximum overall cartridge length you are limited to. It has to fit in the magazine of course. Cast bullets too. The .22 Bator type round nose bullet in 40 to 50 grains in weight.

Boolit Buddy
    I talked to Armscor the other day. They don't, and won't sell just the barrel, has to be in the $450 kit. They confirmed the first ones were un-ramped, standard Colt style barrels, but current production ones are ramped barrels. But wouldn't elaborate on why the change, only said for the kit, that yes the frame must be cut for Clark/Para style ramped barrels.

So it's looking like a custom barrel or just forget it.

I hadn't thought of sleeving one. I think I've got an old Colt 45 and unknown 9mm barrel laying around here somewhere.

Boolit Master
    I messed with this today, a chunk of 45 cal muzzle loader barrel, and a piece of 22 barrel. It does look to be a feasible project. Problem would be cost. I would basically be ruining a 45 ACP barrel, cheapest I can find are the often questionable Swenson barrels at around $70. I do not have a pile of old barrels laying around. Plus the work of lathing an insert barrel from a blank, and of course a reamer. I do not have the tools or expertise to weld a lug to a 22 cal barrel.

RIA is shooting themselves in the foot on not selling barrels. I was talking to the shop near me about the 22TCM he wont order ammo as so little demand, as in none. Why is there no demand? Lack of weapons to run it thru. As it is, you have to throw down $450 for a kit, or the cost of an entire pistol. For mostly a novelty. Plus dies, etc. Now if you could just buy a conversion barrel and drop it in a pistol, be a bit more demand for the ammo. As it is, you can expect in a few years for 22TCM to be a handload only thing as nobody will make the ammo anymore....since so few want it. And RIA will ask, what happened?

I bought a drop in 7.62x25 barrel for my pistol for I think it was $180, non ramped so its not required. Swap it out for a 357 sig barrel I reamed from a 9mm barrel. Or a 10mm I will get eventually. And probably another 9mm barrel. Be nice to have a 22tcm in the collection.

Boolit Mold
    Tackleberry41 - Since you need a 9mm breechface for a 1911 22TCM, why not start with a 9mm barrel and cut a stepped sleeve (liner) that would fit into the barrel and chamber without bothering to bore out the lands. Then extend the sleeve past the bushing to take a threaded nut to hold the sleeve forward. Finish with a 22TCM reamer after the nut was tightened. Not the greatest looking design, but easy.

Boolit Master
    Wheelgun is right, Armscor can't really sell a barrel by itself. A 45 uses a larger bolt face on the slide. So it won't work with the 45's. Thus the complete upper kit needed. Now a 9mm might be easier to convert though. But they don't sell the barrel separately though. They could but I suspect that it would only work with Armscor/Rock Island Armory guns.

Boolit Master
    The 7.62 Tok barrel I bought did not designate, and works in my 45 cal 1911, just not very reliably with the extractor the way it is. I am running it in a 40/10mm slide now with 100% reliability. As does the 9mm specific barrel I reamed to 357sig works with that slide. Its all excuses from Armscor/RIA to force you to buy their $450 kit vs a drop in barrel. Which again is shooting themselves in the foot, as it means little demand for their ammo. Think how much ammo they could sell if they sold $150 unramped drop in barrel. I'd buy one tomorrow, but not cutting a frame, and losing the use of my other barrels.

I think a sleeve will work. Might mess with it as now I have a heritage 22 revolver that could use a sleeved barrel with a proper forcing cone. Now if I just had a junk 45 barrel laying around.

There is at least one for sale barrel only, on an auction site that will remain nameless.... they are available.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Oh, I have two guns
    One ramped and one not. Very little difference in feed and ahooting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk