Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Athlon 6-24x50 BTR FFP scope disappointment

Boolit Master

Athlon 6-24x50 BTR FFP scope

Great scope. What a great company. Had a bad one from OP but Athlon made it good.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 03-24-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: I could not delete so I edit it.

Made in China. Enough said.
    I just bought an SWFA SS 10X for my 6.5cm
    Killer glass. Made in Japan. Tracks like a $1000 scope all for $299
    Battle proven by the US Navy. This thing is rated up to 50BMG recoil.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Outer,
    Let us know how your new scope works out. I've been watching the reviews on Athlon glass and they seem to be a mix of love um or hate um. Waco, I'm another SWFA fan boy. Mine is a 16X mounted on a .223. Glass is very good and tracking is repeatable and spot on. Hard to beat for the price. Ironically I just purchased Mueller's new 40x56 today for a 22LR bench rest project I'm doing. If SWFA had a fixed power greater than 20X I would have sent them my money instead.
    Last edited by 18Bravo; 03-28-2018 at 02:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 18Bravo View Post
    Outer,
    Let us know how your new scope works out. I've been watching the reviews on Athlon glass and they seem to be a mix of love um or hate um. Waco, I'm another SWFA fan boy. Mine is a 16X mounted on a .223. Glass is very good and tracking is repeatable and spot on. Hard to beat for the price. Ironically I just purchased Mueller's new 40x56 today for a 22LR bench rest project I'm doing. If SWFA had a fixed power greater than 20X I would have sent them my money instead.
    Ill be doing more testing over the next two days weather permitting. I think we all thing the same. I too have a SWFA fixed 16x on my 223. I talked with the owner of Mueller a few months ago when the Monster came out. (40x56) Only problem is I needed to get down to a 15 yards for the kinda shooting I was looking to do. 22lr outdoor shoots on steel. He said I would be better off with the 32x they had in moa. I had heard so many mixed reviews and found so many guys who had just got the scope trying to sell it I was scared to try it. Then I got a call from a buddy who wanted me to buy some targets for my range. I called the guy he know and he talked about his Athlon Argos he was using. I called the company we had a long talk and shopped around. Everyone likes Optics Planet. So I ordered one. I hate OP. Weeks later the scope came blah blah and so on. The range I am shooting at faces the wrong way for this time of year and sun bouncing off the snow so you need a sun shade. Mine just came in today. I will let you know how it works out.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Outer,
    Looking forward to your Athlon review. Please let us know how it works out.

Boolit Master
    Got a late start due to dealing with a Amber Alert in my area.

Once I did get out to the bench I had an interesting event. I am not done testing by any means. This is what happened.

Started at 50 yards. Took one shot. Moved scope to that shot. Took another. Then another. One ragged hole. Ok Now lets quick put it on some steel at different paces. OK looks good. Back to that same spot on 50yrds. Hum its a bit low. Take a few more. One click and we are good to go. Now I have not found the best ammo for this gun yet and keep in mind it is a 22lr. I am shooting on 24x. Time for the box test. It passed. Nice I am getting happier with every shot. Now to zero at 75yrds. Ok. The next 20 shots where all over the place. I am scratching my head. Scope did not move but for some reason the same ammo from the same lot what I was shooting 9mm brass at 100 yards will not hit even close. Back to 50yrds. A different point of impact. Gun in case and came home as it started to rain. Going to make sure scope mounts and rail are tight and give it a good cleaning. I will bring out the Eley ammo for the next test. I am new to bench rest I guess you would call it in 22lr so bear with me. If this was a center fire I would already know if it was the ammo or gun. Can not blame the scope until I have finished testing. So far the scope does seam very nice.

Boolit Buddy
    I recently acquired the Athlon Argos 6-30x 50mm objective, 30 mm scope with BDC reticle for use on my 1917 Winchester Mod Scope rifle I use for CBA competition. I use the higher powers for load development and bench technique, and the 6x (maximum allowed) for competition. My 6x Weaver T6 was fine for competition, but did not have the flexibility for testing. The larger tube and objective diameters over the 1" T6 offer a striking advantage in terms of light gathering for my old eyes. The BDC reticle enables one to guage holdover and windage for changing range conditions during a match. Tracking for elevation and windage seems to be fine. All in all, I'm very pleased at the value, winning our last 300 yard group match, and losing the score match by one "X"...aarrgh....

Boolit Master

I hope you figure this issue out, hopefully it is something loose. I have the Vortex Viper that appears to be what this scope was modeled after and I really enjoy it.

Boolit Buddy
    Coincidentally, yesterday was the first I had heard about Athlon.....from a 1000 yd training facility that praised them. Looked at 6mmbr/accurate shooters website for reviews. The high-end Athlon scopes were compared to Nightforce.

Boolit Master
    I have not had a chance to give mine any more bench time due to the weather. I have to say so far I would never pay what this scope should cost and I am glad I do not have to.

Ya they claim long range stuff all the time and have a wacky way of promoting their scopes. I have been looking out the window with this one and I think it is going back to them. The next week looks like 30s-40s out and rain snow mix. They claim it is a 6 week turn around. I might better just send it out and let them test it. I will decide tomorrow when I can call them.