RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataPBcastcoMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Ideal handbook in Spanish

Ideal handbook in Spanish

These are a few pages from a Spanish edition of a late 1920's Ideal Handbook. They are copies of copies so they may not show up very well. There were only 41 pages in the files I received, so I don't know if this is the complete handbook. Just guessing it was for the Mexican market. The front cover was almost completely black with the text on it is obscured. I've often wondered if there were more Spanish editions and or other languages handbooks out there. Have any of you ever seen an original any others?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#Ideal Spanish.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	215606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#Ideal Spanish 2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	215607Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#Ideal Spanish 3.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	215608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#Ideal Spanish 4.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	215609Click image for larger version. 

Name:	#Ideal Spanish 5.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	215610
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Master

I had never saw or heard of a Spanish Ideal Handbook or reloading manuals but I am not surprised that they existed. he Mexicans have always valued their firearms, legally or otherwise. Skeeter Skelton made more than one trip "south of the border" buying up old single action Colts. I saw some really nice old Winchesters when I was in Argentina and Brazil in 1961. I saw a beautiful old single action Colt while in Brazil. It looked to be in excellent condition but I was standing on the wrong end of it--but that's another story. james

Boolit Buddy
    First one I've seen or heard of, and something I had never even considered. Thanks for sharing!

Jim
    Last edited by jrmartin1964; 03-03-2018 at 06:17 PM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    George - really NEAT. Did notice though that Ideal did not list all the molds available for a specific caliber
    Caliber - top punch - mold number and shell plate/holder. Did you notice that the 32 Short & Long RF calibers are listed?
    The give away is no shell plate listed
    Regards
    John

I don't read Spanish well but the English Ideal HB shows the same missing shell holders in their Quick Reference Table.

32 short and long Colt have thicker nonstandard rim and they might not have made those shell holders.

Ideal had #1, 4, 8, reloading tools for both the Colts, but I don't recall seeing a 310 tool for them.

Isn't the 32 Colt long the cartridge that is used in the Marlin model 1891 & 1892's when switched from rimfire to centerfire? Marlin owned Ideal for a while, you'd think they would have had tools set up for those rifles.
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    The quick reference chart in the OP's posting has nothing to do with top punches, shell holders, or shell plates. The first column is, obviously, the cartridge. The second column lists the serial number of the removable dies (a system for identifying dies for the various calibers left over from the earlier Ideal and Marlin days) used with the No.3, late No.6, and No.10 tools that preceded the 310 tool. The third column lists the "Standard" bullet for each cartridge - the one for which tools would be set up unless another design was specified when ordered. The fourth column lists the model - or models - of tool which was available for the listed cartridges. At the time this list was published the .32 Short and .32 Long were available only in the No.4 tool, which did not use removable dies, and therefore there was no "serial number" for said dies.

Jim

Serial number, (No. de Sirie), (in Spanish) is just the assigned die number for specific calibers, 30-30 WCf was 13, 45 Colt was 86, 50-70 Govt. was 114, and so on. Most but not all later Ideal/Lyman tong tool dies used those same numbers. The muzzle sizer, double adjustable seating die used those same numbers.

If you have that list, you can identify all those 310 dies being sold as unknown on various auctions sites or at gun show tables.
    N.R.A. Life Member