WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: 1873?

Boolit Mold

1873?

Considering purchasing a 1873 357/38. Any thoughts on the New Winchester versus the Cimarron? They're about the same price. How does the quality compare? I've never had any experience with Cimarron firearms. I know you guys have the experience to help me make an informed decision.

Chris

Cimarron 1873's are AFAIK made by Chiappa, which have plenty of bling; but IME Miroku (new Winchester 1873) is much better in material & workmanship.

FWIW:

Chiappa has only been making Winchester clones for about 10-15 years; Miroku has been making "Winchesters" under the Winchester & Browning names since the 1960's (over 50 years).

Chiappa's previous incarnation was Armi Sport, a maker of cheap imported black powder revolvers & other firearms, whose production quality & technique lately has been much improved over the earlier Chisappa years, and a thousand times better then the Armi Sport products.

Pay your money & take your choice.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Buddy
    I thought all the Italian 73s were made by Uberti. I know Chiappa makes 92s cause I got one

IMO, if the OP's M-1873 is actually made by Uberti, the quality should be close to a Miroku.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

Soft screws in the Ubertis
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy
    The Cimarron 1873s are made by Uberti. I own one. Concur on the soft screws, though. VTI Gun Parts sells replacement screws that are properly hardened. The Uberti 1873s are closer mechanically to originals than are the Miroku-made guns.

My Cimarron in .44-40:

I shot mine in a match this morning with about a dozen guys. More than half the rifles were Cimarron 1873s, although everyone else has short rifles in .357 or .45 Colt.

I detest the look of the Winchester/Miroku 1873's. They're more of a resemblance of an original 1873 than they are a reproduction.

I own two original 1873 Winchesters; one an 1886 production, the other 1890, and two Uberti's; an 1866 Sporting Rifle and an 1873 Carbine. They are for all practical purposes exact reproductions of the originals with the possible exception of internal parts that no one sees. I thoroughly love mine and they're quality rifles that are accurate even out to 200yds. And yes, Uberti DOES make rifles for Cimarron.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member