Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: Remember the alamo. Remember goliad.

Banned

Remember the alamo. Remember goliad.

Friends,

On this 182nd anniversary of The Declaration of Texas Independence, each of us should REMEMBER our martyrs, who laid down their lives as a willing sacrifice to Texas & to our LIBERTY.
    May their valorous deeds live in honored memory forever.

"Quam suavis et beatus est, qui non est enim mori Texana."

yours, tex

Amen!

Mom was raised in West Texas so she made sure we heard those stories.

Banned
    Ghosthawk,

GOOD on your mom!!

yours, tex

Boolit Master
    I can see the roof of the Alamo Baptist church from my yard, there's Crocketts buried in the grave yard, I take D Crockett road to work every day and live seven miles from Davie Crockett's last Tennessee home. We have a Crockett county with Alamo as it's county seat! Tennessee still remembers, and we still got your back! God bless Texas!

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    GOD bless Texas indeed !

Travis's letter from the Alamo .

Commandancy of the The Alamo
    Bejar, Feby. 24th. 1836
    To the People of Texas & All Americans in the World—
    Fellow Citizens & compatriots—
    I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna — I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man — The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken — I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls — I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch — The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country —
    Victory or Death.
    William Barrett Travis.
    Lt. Col. comdt.
    P. S. The Lord is on our side — When the enemy appeared in sight we had not three bushels of corn — We have since found in deserted houses 80 or 90 bushels and got into the walls 20 or 30 head of Beeves.
    Travis
    No turning back , No turning back !

Moderator Emeritus

My better half and I were in the ALAMO a few months ago and at 65 years of age it means as much to me as ever....we came to TEXAS in 1856 and have not left!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    I agree Paul ! My great grandfather got here in 1851 .

HOSEA JOHNS
    Hosea Johns, Jr. was born between 1800 and 22 June 1808 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland. His parents were Penelope Slade and Hosea Johns, Sr.
    His father was a merchant and ran a dry goods store in Baltimore. It is believed that he was a sign painter when he came to Iowa.
    Hosea was married, first, in Baltimore on 27 March 1833 to Eliza Scarf. She was a daughter of George and Mary Tarr Scarf of Baltimore.
    Hosea and Eliza were parents of four children: Benjamin Scarf Johns was born 19 May 1837, and Lauretta Johns was born 2 April 1839, both probably in Baltimore. Two other children were probably born in Muscatine county, Iowa – Addaline Johns, born 8 September 1842 and Frances Ann Johns, born 17 April 1844.
    We have no idea what happened to Eliza Scarf Johns. Did Eliza divorce? Die? Although the older children were with Hosea at the time of the 1850 census, the two younger girls were not there.
    Frances Ann Johns married William S. Richie. The 1880 census showed them on Third Street in Muscatine, Muscatine, Iowa. With them were children: Elwood J. Richie, age 15; George W. Richie, age 13; Grace E. Richie, age 12; Ada M. Richie, age 9; William A. Richie, age 6, and Clara Richie, age 1 year. She died 25 August 1904.
    Addie B. Johns was married in Muscatine County, Iowa on 5 October 1875 to George J. Mohler, according to Brossart’s Muscatine County Iowa Marriage Records 1837-1879, page 85.
    Hosea Johns married, second, Elizabeth Nichols, daughter of Samuel and Mary Rodgers Nichols, at his log cabin in Pike Township, Muscatine County, Iowa, on 30 December 1848. Their daughter, Mary Melissa Johns, was born 8 September 1850 at Samuel’s log cabin.
    The 1850 census of Pike Township, Muscatine County, Iowa, shows that Hosea was 37 years old and Elizabeth was 22 years old. Also in the family were George S. Johns, age 14 years, born in Maryland; Loretta Johns, age 12 years, born in Maryland, and Malise M. Johns, age 1 year, born in Iowa.
    The following year, 31 March 1851, Loretta Johns died. It is not known where she was buried.
    Soon after that, Hosea determined that the family should move to Austin, Texas, so they left for that state in a covered wagon. His wife, Elizabeth Nichols Johns, never made it, for she died in St. Joseph, Buchanan county, Missouri. Daughter Melissa was returned to Iowa where she lived with her grandparents, Elizabeth’s parents, Samuel and Nancy Searl Nichols.
    Hosea went on to Texas, and there he married for the third time Mary Ann Hays on 5 February 1860 at Travis County, Texas. Mary Ann was a daughter of Nicholas B. and Zula Crabtree Hays. She was born 18 January 1827 in Franklin County, Tennessee and died 12 January 1899 in Travis County, Texas.
    Hosea and Mary Ann had four children: Anna E. or Elizabeth Ann Johns, born 18 December 1860; William Henry Johns, born 3 February 1863; George Washington Johns, born 15 February 1865, and Ida Mary Johns, born 21 September 1869, all born in Texas.
    From his obituary, it appears that Hosea led an interesting life in Texas. He died 22 December 1877 in Georgetown, Williamson county, Texas, in his 78th year. His burial site is unknown.
    On Friday, 4 February 1878, the Muscatine (Iowa) Weekly Journal ran the following obituary:
    “Died, near Austin, Texas, in the 78th year of his age, Hosea Johns.
    “Many of our old citizens will recognize in the above notice the name of an old citizen of Muscatine, one who lived here from 1843 to 1852. Three of his children are still living in or near the city – Mrs. W. S. Richie, Mrs. Chas. G. Hayes and Mrs. Robert Black. The deceased was a consistent and faithful member of the M. E. church and an exhorter. He was elected lay delegate from Texas to the General Conference held in Baltimore in 1876. He was also a sterling patriot, and all through the dark days of the rebellion held true allegiance to the Union, and for many months at a time was compelled to live in the mountains of Texas, only venturing home occasionally at night to get provisions for himself and comrades.”

You might be curious about the last paragraph . He was a union spy during the civil war and kept on the move . He defiantly got back to the ranch occasionally because he had my grand father who was born in 1864 .
    Last edited by Boaz; 03-03-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    No turning back , No turning back !

Boolit Master
    Did you know Sam Houston was the only man to be governor of two states?
    Tennessee's 7th and the republic of Texas first!

Why isTennessee known as the volunteer state?
    Because when James K. Polk asked states to raise 2800 men each for the war with Mexico, Tennessee had 30,000 volunteers to "go get" Santa Anna!

Tennesseans role in Texas is still being taut in Tennessee history classes today! We are in the truest fashion, blood brothers.
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 03-04-2018 at 07:27 AM.

God bless Tennessee as He has Texas. Perhaps we will secede together when the USA goes Full Left! My Mothers' ancestors dwelled in Tennessee a couple of generations on their way here from Scotland. My paternal grandmothers father and uncle settled our farm in the 1850's. Happy Texas Independence Day!

Boolit Master
    Scotland is represented in my house as well. My father's ancestors originated from southern Scotland (associated with the Munro clan of Myreton Castle). Some of our family joke that they were run out of Scotland after having been accused of being horse thieves, but all records of that claim have now expired. I had 2 aunts who worked at Texas A&M University, also a cousin who attended classes there. He was borderline autistic, name was Drew but the cousins referred to him as "drool". Cruel, but children can do that easily. He had few social skills but was a wizard with a computer before they were fashionable. All three of these relatives have passed on. There had to be some reason the aunts worked at A&M but I have not been able to learn that connection. My mother assembled a large amount of our family history, and her records went to my sister when she passed. Now my sister has passed and her son passed those records to me. Perhaps there is more I can find there, but it is a lot of it - 14 large storage boxes full. At least I have a lot to read. When I am gone one of our daughters will maintain the records, at least I hope one of them will care enough about them to do this.