Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Pls recommend a commercial .359/.360 swaged 158gr HBWC

Boolit Master

Pls recommend a commercial .359/.360 swaged 158gr HBWC

I’m inclined to try some. Would settle for 148gr.
    I know that Zero makes a 148gr, but understand that they are .357 and I think I want a little bigger.
    Remington used to make them, but apparently no more.
    I’m not impressed with the texturing on the Hornady HBWC, it doesn’t seem like a great idea but I haven’t shot it.
    What else?

Remington 148 gr. HBWC I bought a life time supply of them for my Colt 38 NP’s they measure 360” and shoot very well . To bad they aren’t making them anymore very accurate in the 38 S&W .Might be a candidate for a new mould.

Maybe these ? https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...148gr-hbwc-ml/
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 08-02-2023 at 07:19 PM.

Boolit Master
    Precision Delta worked pretty good for me till I got my own WC moulds

Boolit Buddy
    Greetings,

I have a box of the newly marketed Speer 148 HBWC. Surprisingly, the ones I measured were 0.358"+.

Cheers,

Dave

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Remington 148 gr. HBWC I bought a life time supply of them for my Colt 38 NP’s they measure 360” and shoot very well . To bad they aren’t making them anymore very accurate in the 38 S&W .Might be a candidate for a new mould.

Maybe these ? https://www.precisiondelta.com/produ...148gr-hbwc-ml/
    My understanding is that cast HBWC aren’t near as accurate as swaged. Will be buying a DEWC mold, just gotta decide which. The precision delta come sized .357 and I’d rather start larger.

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Precision Delta worked pretty good for me till I got my own WC moulds
    Which WC molds do you like?

Quote Originally Posted by fc60 View Post
    Greetings,

I have a box of the newly marketed Speer 148 HBWC. Surprisingly, the ones I measured were 0.358"+.

Cheers,

Dave
    Great, will order some to try!

Boolit Master
    I have 4 WC moulds on hand currently, a Lee TL358-148-WC a fun little plinker that is super easy to cast with even with less than optimal alloys in the pot due to the simple design and is pretty decent for accuracy. The one i have drops about at .358 plus a few decimal points and could probably be shot as is after tumble lubing. Its a cheap simple place to start if you want to dabble in casting wadcutters till you can get one of the "real" moulds. Probably the one I send down range the most.

HG #50/Lyman 358495- Both are so close in design the practically are interchangable. These and the 358091 or similar are the popular go-to WC bullets as far as i can tell and i cant dispute it. Both my moulds cast and size well to end up at .358 and are more accurate than me.

358432- this is an interesting one i picked up along the way, the bottom half is close to the ubiquitous 158g 358311 Round Nose but above the crimp is a tall WC nose and is loaded at RN charges. Good accuracy but I dont shoot this one much as the others.

Saeco #348, though I dont have one, this one (and similar) also comes highly recommended as another go-to.