Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Clean the tumbler bowl ?

In Remembrance

Corn cob media is just so inexpensive to use that when a bowl of it starts turning grey I throw it out on the Frau`s flower beds and put new media in the tumbler and add Nu-Finish car polish. If you save a few pennies by doing the wash the media routine, then do it - I just toss mine.Robert

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I use Frankford arsenal tumbler with corn cob and nufinish. When the black too gets to thick. I just soak the bowl in warm water and dishwashing liquid. Soak for half hour or so and it cleans up like new.

I clean mine from time to time. Also I cut up dryer sheets when tumbling and that keeps it cleaner longer.
    Oh bother said pooh, as he chambered another round.

Boolit Buddy
    I normally wipe down the bowl with a wet paper towel every time I dump a load of brass. Never seem to have any caked on residue. I do use a bit of mineral spirits and a dryer sheet during tumbling.

Boolit Grand Master

Whatever deposited the stains and crud will likely also remove it. If you use alcohol or MS to dampen the media, as it evaporates it leaves behind whatever it removed from the brass. High strength solvents and cleaners might even deteriorate the plastic in the bowel.
    Often the addition of extra compound and wax may be the source of the dirty bowel.
    I always add a quartered used dryer sheet to absorb the dirt before it collects on the bowel.
    I now clean with SS and citric so the dirt goes out with the rinse water, and the media used to polish along with the bowel stays clean and dust free.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't clean mine regularly but whenever I notice it getting grubby looking I'll wipe it out. I usually use a rag with mineral spirits but Windex works as well.

You know... I've never used anything but just the media to run my brass. After reading this I ran som previously run brass but I added about a tablespoon of paint thinner and Nu-Finish, and cut up a used dryer sheet. Greatest thing since sliced bread and store bought peanut butter!

Brass looks great and media is noticeably cleaner. Old dogs, new tricks and all that.....

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by pwc View Post
    You know... I've never used anything but just the media to run my brass. After reading this I ran som previously run brass but I added about a tablespoon of paint thinner and Nu-Finish, and cut up a used dryer sheet. Greatest thing since sliced bread and store bought peanut butter!

Brass looks great and media is noticeably cleaner. Old dogs, new tricks and all that.....
    Sliced Bread !
    It sure is.

I started using the "additives" I mentioned, mostly to keep the dust down, after I read that a portion of that dust is generated from the spent priming material, and some priming material contains lead.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12