Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clean the tumbler bowl ?

Moderator Emeritus

Clean the tumbler bowl ?

While reading the recent cobb media question thread, I thought I'd ask a question also, but figured I'd start a new thread.

Does anyone else find the need to clean the tumbler bowl?

I use untreated corn cob media from Frankfort arsenal.
    I like it, because it's small enough to not stick in the primer flash hole, unlike all other cob media I used in the past, most of which, was bought at gunshows, repackaged in gallon jugs, so I don't know the source, but was larger enough to almost always stick in the flash hole.

I use new clean untreated media for removing case lube from clean resized rifle cases only. I have a dedicated tumbler for this (Lyman Pro 1200 Turbo), which never needs cleaning.

Once that media becomes dirty enough, that I don't want to use it for that anymore, I use it for dirty fired brass, which usually has boolit lube residue on it. I do treat that "used media" with a few drops of a diluted rubbing compound and a few drops of diluted liquid car wax (both are diluted with Iso alc). I will re-treat the media every third batch. Most tarnished brass gets tumbled 4 hours, freshly fired brass, that isn't age tarnished, gets tumbled clean in about an hour.

The combination of my practice of treating the media and/or tumbling brass that was used with lubed boolits puts a blackish-dark green layer of hard to remove crud in the tumbler bowl. About the only thing that cuts that crud is MS and a small brass bristled brush.

I just wondered if I am the only one to clean a bowl?

I should add, I get about a year's use from a bowl full of media, but I am cleaning that bowl about 3 times throughout the year. I suppose I tumble brass about once a week...so about fifty times a year.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 03-02-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Super Moderator

I clean the bowl every so often and I use Sprayway glass cleaner. I just spray it in there and let it soak, then wipe it out. I don't put any wax in my media though, that might be what's making it hard to clean. I use Dillon's brass cleaner stuff (blue bottle). In addition to cleaning dirty tumblers, the Sprayway works wonders on windows & mirrors

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I clean mine with Windex once in a while, but I’m anal retentive that way.
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Master

when i was using a dry media for cleaning , whenever i replaced the media i cleaned the bowl. now that i wet tumble and justuse the vibrator for removing lube from bottleneck cases, it doesnt get dirty.

Moderator Emeritus

Mostly, I use the diluted liquid wax to keep the dust down...and Honestly I get NO dust when I use it. So I guess it's worth the trouble to have to regularly clean the bowl.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

Boolit Grand Master

I've had a Lyman wobbler for mebbe 25 years and haven't cleaned the bowl yet. I now just use corn cob blast media (is "cobb" a trade name?) with occasionally some auto polish. The bowl doesn't have any junk stuck to the sides or any other debris...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Anything with ammonia in it. Ammonia will cut through the waxes. In general though, I never clean mine but once every 2-4 years. But I use ground walnut shell media and I add a little Simple Green to it for conditioning. Maybe that's why my bowl stays relatively clean.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I also use glass cleaner with ammonia in it to clean my tumblers. A few sprays will soften the dark residue and some paper towels will remove it. If it's really caked up, it might take a couple of times spraying and wiping to get it all out, but it works.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master

When you say diluted if you are actually making the media wet or to damp that may be the cause. I add a cap of Iosso polish and Half cap of nufinish about every load, let this work into the media for 10-15 mins then add 4 ounces of alchlol and the brass. SO far my tumbler only has a "stain" in the bowl. To wet and it may be allowing it to cake and pack. My media only shows clumps for a very short time when adding the treatments.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The few times I've needed to clean the bowl I've used "orange magic" to good effect .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master
    I find washing media out will extend the life. the lube fill in the sharp edges and clog. i dump it into an old pillow case and wash with dawn in a bucket . One the water gets clearer . spread it out and air dry
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I've had a Lyman wobbler for mebbe 25 years and haven't cleaned the bowl yet. I now just use corn cob blast media (is "cobb" a trade name?) with occasionally some auto polish. The bowl doesn't have any junk stuck to the sides or any other debris...
    I don't think it's a trade name? The other thread title used Cobb and I just followed suit ...opps
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    When you say diluted if you are actually making the media wet or to damp that may be the cause. I add a cap of Iosso polish and Half cap of nufinish about every load, let this work into the media for 10-15 mins then add 4 ounces of alchlol and the brass. SO far my tumbler only has a "stain" in the bowl. To wet and it may be allowing it to cake and pack. My media only shows clumps for a very short time when adding the treatments.
    I'm not using enough to make the media wet. Like you mention, I see the few clumps during the short time (a couple minutes) when re-treating.

The reason I dilute the rubbing compound with Iso Alc, is because the product I have is in paste form. It blends in quicker when I can pour (the several drops) like water. When that worked so well, I did the same with the liquid wax, the bottle I have is years old and is kind of dried out.

Your reply and all the others are much appreciated.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Boolit Master
    Dillon blue brass polish is liquid car polish according to the MSDS.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

I've been using a LYMAN 1200 since they came out 35+yrs ago. I clean the bowl using Armor-All every time the media needs to be changed. Use it to wipe off the lid liner too. Probably why the liner is still in such good shape.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    I still use my Lyman turbo 1200 tumbler. (with Corn Cob media)

I have an "Auto-Flo" bowl conversion kit on my Lyman tumbler with emptying plug, and a catch pan.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/53...conversion-kit

Being lazy, I often pull the plug and let the vibration empty out the tumbler media into the catch pan, rather than dumping all the corn cob out into a hand cranked media separator.

Whenever the tub is empty, if I see a carbon film or residue remaining, I wipe it out. Typically I wash it with dish soap and water, or sometimes I'll clean it with Lemon Pledge and paper towels.

I'd say I do this at least every other time I empty out the tumbler.

I also use Carnauba wax (I add a cap full of Meguiar's Carnauba) into the media, which might explain some of my additional residue.

I've been using the same box of corn cob media for many years now. It's untreated corn comb media, I believe from RCBS.

When the media begins to turn black, I wash it in hot water and Dawn dish soap. Then dry it out and keep on using it rather than throwing it out. You must dry the media after washing, or else it will mold.

I used walnut media years ago, but I had a bad experience with the red jewelers rouge treated walnut media leaving a hard to remove red waxy coating on all of my cases. So I avoid it now.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

I clean my bowl as required. Sometimes the black goo gets pretty thick on the bowl, and the media is still good. I just use window cleaner like others have said, sometimes a bit of elbow grease is required to get it off, there is no way to get it all off as long as it looks cleaner than before. Once I get little blobs on my casings I change the corn cobb reptile bedding media I use and clean the bowl. I use nu finish and "astonish" it's an abrasive house hold cleaner that come in a paste form, just a dab will do ya.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Banned
    I use the crushed walnut shells. I have had the same media in my tumbler for a while. I don't use any kind of polish. But I do tear up some 4"x 4" squares of regular paper towels and put that in their with my brass.

The paper towels are dry. When the cases are clean the pieces of paper towels are gray/black and have collected all of the walnut dust that used to go airborne. It leaves almost no residue in the bowl.

I can't prove it but I am convinced that the paper towels have extended the usable life of the shells.

Banned
    I just hit mine with the pressure washer when it needs it quick and easy.

Boolit Master
    I use 50-50 corn cob and crushed Walnut, to which I add some Dillon case polish. Once in a while, I use a little Mineral Spirits, if I think it may help. I then add about a half sheet of used Bounce fabric softener sheet, to collect dust and other nasties. It makes my brass smell fresh and pleasant! I don't believe I have ever thought my tumbler bowl needs cleaning, but, there are some good hints here, in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast