Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Gun Oil

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    The OP's post is nothing new. Military bullseye shooter has or had been using that for years. I had heard of it in the early 90's and have used it before.
    As I said, I was cleaning old files off my computer. The date on this one was mid 90's. One thing this thread has done has been to bring out all kinds of gun lubes and cleaners which I find very interesting.
    John
    W.TN

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Using STP is guarondamteed to collect a film of grit in your gun where you really don't want it. Why not just use lapping compound?
    Now there is an idea. Coat your bore and every moving part with lapping compound. After a few years it will run really smooooooooooth.

Boolit Master

I tend to stick to the commercial stuff too. while I do dabble in DIY things (case lube for one) I want my guns rust free and in good working condition

no saying the homemade stuff is bad, just I am happy with what's on the shelf in LGS
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Banned
    Synthetic ATF cleans so well, all I have to do is threaten to use it and my gun cleans itself.

Mobil 1 is far and away, the best gun oil I've ever used, I use it in my AR's... To clean, Kerosene and ATF works great for carbon...

Boolit Buddy
    I am a beliver in marvel mystry oil 35+years.

Boolit Master
    I use the Marvel product as a solvent. It's good stuff to have around.

Boolit Bub
    Not putting homemade stuff on my guns; too risky for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mullthing View Post
    We’re talking about home mixed stuff, not home made. Guys aren’t refining crude in their backyards. What do you think commercial gun lubes are, some magic formula whipped up especially for guns? Not hardly: the market is way too small for any refiner to develop a bespoke product. Gun oil is just some guy mixing together exactly the same base ingredients you and I have access to. There’s nothing particularly better about paying someone else to do the mixing and then to pour it off in small bottles and sell it for 20X the cost.

I would rather know what’s in my bottle than trust some snake oil salesman. Fire Clean turned out to be canola oil, and Frog Lube is coconut oil. At least my stuff didn’t come from Grandma’s kitchen.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mullthing View Post
    I prefer the benefits of the knowledge I learn here... the aggregated decades (might I say centuries... or millenniums?) of heuristics and ongoing tweaking/testing of these solutions.

But to each his own.

I use 2 parts full synthetic motor oils (0w-20 because it’s what my car uses) 1 part dextrin transmission oil and 1 part STP oil treatment

Works like a charm!!!! I have my friends begging for it and a little goes a long ways!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Acetone makes the oil creep into small spaces better. Farmers have been using 50/50 acetone/ATF as penetrating oil for decades. Nothing rusts like farm machinery, especially around cows.
    If you think cows are bad, stay away from chickens!
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Now there is an idea. Coat your bore and every moving part with lapping compound. After a few years it will run really smooooooooooth.
    Hmmm...I can recall doing exactly that to "break-in" new M60s in SE Asia. Mix a bit of lapping compound with GI lube ('Monkey goop'), brush onto all the moving parts, run a couple hundred rounds downrange, clean in a bucket of JP4, lube normally, and reassemble. Learned this from our company armorer who was already in the Army when some of our door gunners were born.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    You can do worse than straight ATF. A solvent is not needed for oiling after cleaning. I use Red&Tacky as a grease for auto slides and the star on revolver cylinders. If it slides, grease it, if it turns, oil it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraschenbirn View Post
    Hmmm...I can recall doing exactly that to "break-in" new M60s in SE Asia. Mix a bit of lapping compound with GI lube ('Monkey goop'), brush onto all the moving parts, run a couple hundred rounds downrange, clean in a bucket of JP4, lube normally, and reassemble. Learned this from our company armorer who was already in the Army when some of our door gunners were born.

Bill
    And I, and all other Small Arms Repairmen hate you, and your company Armorer... Just saying.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Came across a “car talk” radio show a couple of years ago. They were discussing motor oils. One thing that caught my ear was that Pennzoil “High Mileage” motor oil has higher levels of zinc in it. The zinc aids to fill/seal voids from wear, also provides corrosion protection.

I’ve been using that product in my vehicles ever since listening to the show. I use it on my guns too. Can’t say it works better than anything I’ve used in the past, but I like the point of high zinc content for corrosion protection on my guns.

There is a website dedicated to oils/lubes called: Bob is the oil guy. Interesting reading. Nice to know that Marvel Mystery Oil ( mmo) is well-regarded over there. I use it a lot, including on guns.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by catboat View Post
    I believe Goo-Gone is naphtha based.
    Goo-Gone is recommended by some in the Air Guns section as patch solvent for cleaning barrels. Apparently air gun barrels are made of softer steel than firearms. I'm new to air guns so I am trying not to do anything to damage my barrel so don't use brushes or rods.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

Came across a “car talk” radio show a couple of years ago. They were discussing motor oils. One thing that caught my ear was that Pennzoil “High Mileage” motor oil has higher levels of zinc in it. The zinc aids to fill/seal voids from wear, also provides corrosion protection.

I’ve been using that product in my vehicles ever since listening to the show. I use it on my guns too. Can’t say it works better than anything I’ve used in the past, but I like the point of high zinc content for corrosion protection on my guns.

There is a website dedicated to oils/lubes called: Bob is the oil guy. Interesting reading. Nice to know that Marvel Mystery Oil ( mmo) is well-regarded over there. I use it a lot, including on guns.

That site is interesting, especially if you enjoy reading a bunch of stuff you don't understand. Those folks are really into their oil and all kinds of things to help engines. It has influenced me to choose particular oils for my vehicles.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

About 5 years ago, I did some research reading about Zinc additives to automotive engine oil. As I understand it, about the time cars were equiped with catalytic converters the automotive manufacturers specified no Zinc additives, due to them prematurely clogging up catalytic converters, I don't recall what API spec that was, but it was probably back in the late 1980s. That was also about the time when they started labeling some motor oil specifically for Diesel engines, as those had Zinc additives. Also, the standard STP oil treatment have a fairly high content of Zinc additives. Which explains one more reason why the "gunshow gunoil" recipe I posted in post #11 uses STP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    well after reading all of this heres what i been using for over 25 years i use the old fashioned 3-1 oil on all my guns even the wood and it works great! so does anyone else use this oil on their guns??

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast