Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: win. 1894 32-40 made in 1902

Boolit Mold

win. 1894 32-40 made in 1902

my son recently brought home a lever gun and handed it to me and asked , [whats it worth] I took a quick look and asked [ what exactly do you mean by that] , well it all boiled down to his boss wanted to trade it for a .22 w/ a scope on it at the local gun shop - I told my boy to get in one of these gun cabinets and rut around until you find something that will trip your bosses fancy and make sure you throw a scope on it and not a cheap one . after some digging , I found the gun to be a 32-40 made in 1902 by serial number and got it appraised at about 70 %, as someone hade shortened the magazine tube and cut the spring . good job done though , I have since gotten the replacement parts and I need to get the magazine band pressed in and it will be back to 90% says the appraiser. so all in all , I think my son did okay .

Quote Originally Posted by hooterville View Post
    my son recently brought home a lever gun and handed it to me and asked , [whats it worth] I took a quick look and asked [ what exactly do you mean by that] , well it all boiled down to his boss wanted to trade it for a .22 w/ a scope on it at the local gun shop - I told my boy to get in one of these gun cabinets and rut around until you find something that will trip your bosses fancy and make sure you throw a scope on it and not a cheap one . after some digging , I found the gun to be a 32-40 made in 1902 by serial number and got it appraised at about 70 %, as someone hade shortened the magazine tube and cut the spring . good job done though , I have since gotten the replacement parts and I need to get the magazine band pressed in and it will be back to 90% says the appraiser. so all in all , I think my son did okay .
    thats a good trade he did !

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    If the .32-40 is a rifle--26 inch barrel?
    If it is a rifle the magazine band doesn't "press" into the barrel. It is attached by pushing the base into the side of the dovetail/slot, and slowly turning the band until it enters the dovetail. Then merely line the band up to allow the magazine tube to pass through it.

Sometimes it appears the base of the band is too large and will not enter the slot. Just keep trying--turning it with slight pressure against the dovetail. It will fit!

On second thought, it does press in, just not from the top of the dovetail.

Boolit Master

Very nice!

I have a Marlin - same year and same caliber. Love shooting it at our monthly lever gun silhouette matches and have even won a few with it. I picked up a NOE 323-180-RF plain base mold for it, which really works well in the lever gun. Post up a picture when you can - here's mine...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	164320435.otYtHkCh.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	126.7 KB 
ID:	215895

Hey there Hooterville -- This is what the dovetail and magazine hanger look like.

Name:	Round dovetail.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	215899 The dovetail

Name:	100_7355.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	215901 The hanger is in the upper right

You can also see the mortise for the tip tenon on the inside of the forend tip. Hope this helps. Best regards. Wind