Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: 329PD Boomer Equivalents

Boolit Mold

329PD Boomer Equivalents

I have a 329PD with Crimson Trace Hog Hunter grips. It’s an outstanding 44 Special with Skeeter Skelton loads and absolutely nasty with full power 44 mags (old 240 grain JHP factory loads from Federal and Remington).

I also have a Bisley flattop Ruger in 44 Special that is a ***** cat with Skeeters.

My question is those of you that have it shot 329PD’s, What equivalent, or hopefully less, in nasty recoil factor amongst boomer? Specifically 480, 475 and 454 in either a Bisley or BFR or in a SRH.

In my head the 454 might be close but I haven’t had an opportunity to shoot anything bigger than a 44 Magnum.

Much thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yeah. . .those 329's can sting a bit.

I picked up the round butt 4.25" Redhawk .45Colt/.45ACP last year. The load I've settled on (for now) is the NOE/Ranch Dog 230 grain tumble lube RNFP at about 1025 FPS. I wanted something that was well above a .45 ACP for black bear and mountain lion defense, but not abusive or unwieldy as a combat round. Probably a rough equivalent to the old "horse killer" cavalry load by the time you factor that it's a little less weight at a little more speed.

The Smith Mountain Guns are going to be lighter than my RH, and as such, will smack you a little harder with an equivalent load. It really comes down to whether you want comfy to carry or comfy to shoot.

My answer has been to go with medium to heavy bullets with a lot of momentum thrown at lowish speeds to keep the recoil tolerable. Plenty of penetration capability without turning your socks into cotton puddles around your ankles.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

I’ve got a 357PD and the full tilt loads are very sharp. It has a much different recoil impulse when compared to my 480 Rugers and is in par with my previous 454 Casull SRH which I traded off due to muzzle blast and sharp recoil. The muzzle blast of the 454 was much more pronounced than the 357PD.

I love my 357PD though as it is sooooooo light and packable.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I’ve got a 357PD and the full tilt loads are very sharp. It has a much different recoil impulse when compared to my 480 Rugers and is in par with my previous 454 Casull SRH which I traded off due to muzzle blast and sharp recoil. The muzzle blast of the 454 was much more pronounced than the 357PD.

I love my 357PD though as it is sooooooo light and packable.
    I’ve been intrigued by the 480. Apprecthe feedback

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30Carbiner View Post
    I’ve been intrigued by the 480. Apprecthe feedback

I’ve really enjoyed my 480 Rugers. I’ve got a SBH and SRH. Both are accurate and the recoil is the 45/70 of the pistol world compared to the 300 RUM of the 454 Casull if that makes any sense. A slower push vs sharp kick.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I’ve really enjoyed my 480 Rugers. I’ve got a SBH and SRH. Both are accurate and the recoil is the 45/70 of the pistol world compared to the 300 RUM of the 454 Casull if that makes any sense. A slower push vs sharp kick.
    Much difference in recoil between the SBH and SRH?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 30Carbiner View Post
    Much difference in recoil between the SBH and SRH?

The extra weight of the SRH and rubber grips do seem to make it more maneagable.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll echo osteodoc's observations on recoil. The 454 has the fast/snappy recoil experienced with the 329. The 480 Ruger is more of a big push.

I have shot the 329 quite a bit. Also have a 2 1/2" 480 Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan and 6" Freedom Arms in both .454 and .475LB. The 2 1/2" 480 Alaskan is amazingly tame. The .454 and 475 can get a bit cranky with top end loads. I prefer the double action grip frame and rubber grips of the Alaskan, but the FAs handle recoil very well -- it's mostly personal from my perspective.

FWIW,

Paul

The Freedom Arms grip frame is similar to the Ruger Bisley.