Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300Gr 44Mag Powder Alternatives to H110

Boolit Mold

Thumbs up 300Gr 44Mag Powder Alternatives to H110

New to reloading and want to start working on what will be my "deer hunting load" for my Ruger SBH Hunter (7-1/2" w/ Burris 2-7 scope). I have ordered 300gr WFNGC from BTB and now I'm looking into Powder Options. For our Minnesota whitetails I know I don't need to be shooting this at max velociites and am thinking 1100-1200FPS will be plenty for me. I'm concerned about two things with H110 - First is it has a very narrow load window for grains and velocity, that are really higher than I think I need and second that it is temperature sensitive - yet it seems to be the goto for heavy 44 mag loading. Considering the new 11FS, N105, 2400 or others. Be nice if it was a more common powder so I can get it local (Greater Minneapolis) - to avoid the HazMat charge.

So alittle extra background. I've only loaded 200 rounds so far - 240gr Lazer Cast .431, Starline brass, CCI300 primers and Unique powder. Worked up from 5.7gr in several steps to 8.5gr that I just chronoed at 1070fps - nice easy recoil for an indoor paper target load. When I use up this Unique I'll look for something that is cleaner shooting, I chose it as it had a large range of velocities/charges. I've stoned the trigger surfaces and installed a reduced pressure trigger return spring. I've also put in a Belt Mountain base pin (like the head profile, but it didn't really tighten up the cylinder any). I've honed the cylinder throats until the .431 bullets push thru with light thumb pressure evenenly on all 6 holes. I've also recut the forcing cone to 11 degrees, with a rented the reamer. Slugging the barrel I'm at .4295 but with a really thight spot at the threads (thread choke). I just got a BTB fire lapping kit - so that is the next order of buisness. Some of you helped me thru a set up issue with my first loads - crushing cases - that hasn't been an issue now with at larger (NOE brand) expanding plug - all is good there now- Thanks
    Last edited by mncampnhunt; 03-01-2018 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Lil gun, and AA4100 can be added to that list. I got a good deal on some AA4100, the local shop said they had never sold any of it. Turned out to be very similar to Lil Gun and can be used in loads less than maximum, where H110 doesn't always perform as well. 2400 is also good, I have shot many of the 300 grain "Keith" style SWC with that powder over the last 20 years.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Grand Master

I used IMR4227 and Blue Dot under 300 gr. boolits though I didn't shoot many because they don't stay stabilized much past 50 yards from my Marlin with 1:38" twist.

H110 will give a little more velocity according to my reloading manuals but I use IMR4227 and Blue Dot in other cartridges so have them handy, I have no other use for H110 so don't stock it.

Haven't tried 2400 but will keep an eye out for it.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Hercules 2400 or Blue dot does pretty good on the heavy cast and I only shoot them out of my Encore. Also for plinking the heavies Unique, Bullseye, or Rd Dot. In my Smiths I limit the loads to 265 grain bullets so I don't rattle them loose.

Boolit Buddy
    I use 15.7 gr/ 2400 and a standard primer with that bullet and it is very accurate.

I have been thinking of getting accurate 4100 after I finish this pound of 296, mainly because I can adjust the load more... but I am also hoping it will have a bit less " snappy" recoil. I am shooting a keith style noe 432-277, which weighs 275 with my alloy
    An armed man in a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.
    A disarmed man is a slave.

Boolit Mold
    Oklahoma Rebel - I think the phyics of the recoil would be that if you loaded both 4100 and 296/H110 to the same muzzle velocity that since 4100 is a faster burning powder that the pressure peak would be sooner - thus the accelleration faster at the beginging and more recoil impulse. I've seen people comment on this and other forums that the 296/H110 gives a push compared to faster burning powders. BUT!! - I think the advantage of using the 4100 is being able to build a load at a lower velocity, thus lower energy leaving the barrel, thus lower recoil - as the energy will have more effect recoil than the timing of the pressure peak (especially with a revolver lenght barrel). To this point I just used a energy calculator on the BTB site - assuming a 300gr boolit - if you are launching it at 1300fps then the energy is 1126 ft-lbs. Now if we drop it to 1100fps (a 18% reduction) than the energy drops to 806 ft-lbs - a 40% change [note a 240gr 44 at 1230fps also has 806ft-lbs of energy].

that's some interesting numbers, it isn't that the recoil is too much for me, with 21grs of 296 under a 275gr keith style its fine, I am just looking at it from a point of trying to better my accuracy, but I think just sticking with the same thing and getting a ton of practice will benefit me more than changing things. I don't think it would even make enough difference to notice, I have just read several times, people talking about different powders having more of a "push" than a "snap" with their 44 mag loads, I don't think I should pay them any mind. i'll just keep on truckin'! thanks!-Travis

by " the BTB site" what site do you mean?

I load the Hornady 300gr in my 44 Mag. I have a max load of AA#9 at 18gr giving me ~1250fps.....however, its pretty stiff in my Redhawk 5.5" bbl. I'd start in the 16.5gr range and work back up for a different firearm and barrel length.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Rebel View Post
    by " the BTB site" what site do you mean?
    Likely BTB = Bear Tooth Bullets/ Beartooth Bullets.

Here is the link to their foot lbs. energy "calculator":
    https://www.beartoothbullets.com/res...php/energy.htm

-----------------------

Mncampnhunt,

G'luck! finding the load up ya seek. I just use 240 gr..
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

aha, that makes sense! thanks!

Boolit Mold
    Yes - Beartooth Bullet Co. Sorry about that - thought I had seen that enough that it was OK to use. Cabela’s (local store for me) doesn’t stock 4100 or Enforcer - so I’m going to see if either of two gun/reloading shops have either. Seems they are the same and just that little bit faster burn rate than H110/296. Seems they have a larger start to max zone and don’t require Mag primers - as I assume that also indicates there are less temperature sensitive. If I could find a container of 11FS I might just go with that (newer low flash powder).

never heard of 11FS,who makes it? and is it faster or slower than 110/296? whatever powder you end up getting, let me know how it performs!

Banned
    i use unique and 2400 in my 44 mag. but as time goes i'm using unique more and more. deer don't seem mind either!!!

Boolit Mold
    11FS is from Accurate. Something about 1-1/2 old that they formulated for the 300BLK. It has a flash supprecent in it but is pretty close in burn rate to 4100/Enforcer. I don’t know that it is very popular for mag pistols as it is kinda new yet. Might be great to have the flash suppresent in a home defence load (not my concern) but also for a low light hunting (early/late) as I expect that some powders could have a pretty significant fireball. Accurate load data for the 11FS with a 300gr lead bullet is 15.4 gr at 1125fps to 18.1gr max load giving 1306fps - a nice 2.7gr spread to work with.

sound just a wee bit faster than 4100 but not by much, 4100- 300gr cast-16.6 for1,225fps, 18.4 for 1,347. the 18.4 gr load is 32,259psi, so in a ruger or bfr I imagine you could go a bit higher, but that is un necessary in my opinion.

well, after seeing a good bit of improvement in my shooting, I am going to stick with my load of 21grs/296/275 keith, but I did go ahead and get a lb of blue dot to save a bit'o'cash for plinking, but looking at the loads, I can still get up to about 1250fps, with my 7.5" bbl, using between 15 and 16 grs of blue dot.

Boolit Mold
    Local reloading shop had Enforcer so supported the local economy - like to see these small brick and motar stores stay around. Waiting on my order of Beartooth 300 WFN. Been just over a month, didn’t realize they were that backed up. Had to call and email them to send out the Firelapping kit, which I’ve now shot the first 24 the other day. Now to inspect and re-slug the barrel and see what happened.

Boolit Master
    In the early days of BTB......I waited as long as a year for orders.

Winelover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast