Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bevel base vs. plain base cast bullets

Bevel base vs. plain base cast bullets

I just bought a bunch of 8 & 10 cavity H&G moulds. The owner must have been a fan of bevel base because all of them are that way.
    After reconditioning them, they seem all to be nice moulds and will put out a ton of bullets. A good thing when you shoot full auto.
    It got me to thinking....how do most shooter prefer their bullets - plain base or bevel base?
    The theory goes that you do not have to bell out the mouth of the brass as much with bevel base bullets thus your brass lasts longer....or so the theory goes.
    What say you?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    It doesn't matter to me. If I flare it just a thousandth bigger than the bullet, it doesn't matter what shape the bullet is. I don't use the bevel of the base to open the brass enough to accept the bullet. I haven't noticed a short brass life because of that. I do prefer plain base bullets because it's easier to lube them with my Lymans.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Just speaking for myself here but my experience has been the plain base, as long as it's true & clean, seems a tad more accurate for me. The BB's do load a little nicer. I honestly don't even consider brass life an issue with straight wall pistol brass. I can't count how many times I've reloaded my 9mm major USPSA brass. Really, really hard on it and I pick out the occasional split piece but otherwise not a concern for me anyway.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    Almost all of the molds I own are flat base , but honestly I don't see any difference on target with the couple I have that have a beveled base like the lee 356-120 tc , or the 452-230 tc . At least for the handguns .

Moderator Emeritus

I have a few H&G mould which are in both flavors (e.g., #130, and #130BB). I do believe -- if one is being real picky -- the BB has slight edge when dropping fresh cast bullets, as I have had the bottom edge of plain-base ones hit just-dropped bullets and have their edge nicked a tad. However, dealing with lead which hopefully obturates, I doubt if there's any JND (just noticeable difference) to be discerned from BB vs plain base. To my thinking, however, it is the FRONT end of the bullet which has the most importance.

Good question you asked; I look forward to reading other knowledgeable casters viewpoint.

BEST!
    ge
    o

Boolit Master
    I have both an H&G #50, and a #50BB both bare lubed lead with Ben's Red. I culled the boolits for imperfections at loading, all primed with Federal Gold Medal Match SP's, and hand weighed charges. The plain bases seemed to have a slight edge but its probably pretty safe that the BB's would be less delicate.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I have removed the BB from many of my molds because at the time I was using the RCBS lube sizers. Then I got the Star and it really makes no difference. I do not look at any difference in accuracy, but when doing the QC, any defect on the square base shows up much easier than it does on the BB. If I were selecting a mold based only upon the BB or plain base, I would go plain based. Also, some might like to use the plain based gas check, and that is not compatible with the BB mold.

theory goes that you do not have to bell out the mouth of the brass No, they just align better when seating. Alignment with RN 9mm FB is more difficult, BB makes it easy.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer flat base bullets. My limited testing shows a very slight accuracy improvement over bevel base bullets. I also don't like the lube that gets in the bevel when using a Lyman type sizer. Thats not a problem since I bought a Star. I'm fixing to put a couple of bevel base 68's up for sale unless I decide to remove the bevel.

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I prefer flat base bullets. My limited testing shows a very slight accuracy improvement over bevel base bullets. I also don't like the lube that gets in the bevel when using a Lyman type sizer. Thats not a problem since I bought a Star. I'm fixing to put a couple of bevel base 68's up for sale unless I decide to remove the bevel.
    We will flood the market with 68 bb moulds. I have a 68 that i may do exactly the same with. 8 cavity mould, and it will cost me some $100 to remove the bevels.
    Decisions decisions.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    BB bullets are preferred with casting machines as ther tend to drop out of mold easier.
    Don Verna

I prefer bevel based boolits for handgun shooting, mostly for the ease of getting the boolit started into the case. My old eyes and hands no longer allow the precise alignment needed for plain base boolits to be easily achieved. It doesn't matter from an accuracy standpoint in my guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I have a few H&G mould which are in both flavors (e.g., #130, and #130BB). I do believe -- if one is being real picky -- the BB has slight edge when dropping fresh cast bullets, as I have had the bottom edge of plain-base ones hit just-dropped bullets and have their edge nicked a tad. However, dealing with lead which hopefully obturates, I doubt if there's any JND (just noticeable difference) to be discerned from BB vs plain base. To my thinking, however, it is the FRONT end of the bullet which has the most importance.

Good question you asked; I look forward to reading other knowledgeable casters viewpoint.

BEST!
    ge
    o
    George, you have it exactly backwards. It is the base of the boolit that steers it - Rf. The Bullet's Flight from early in the last century and proven many times over since. However, as long as the exiting base of the boolit is exiting the muzzle of the gun in the same way flat or bevel base doesn't appear to matter much - e.g. Rifle bullets
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    In revolvers having a bevel-base prevents a throat-diameter bullet from dragging a "fin" off the corner of the base as the larger diameter bullet is extruded into the smaller groove diameter of the revolver barrel. In heavy magnum loads it also helps mitigate "cupping" of the base from upset caused by peak pressure during initial shot-start.

In the Accurate series of molds Tom uses a very minimal bevel-base, about .030" in most calibers. In most calibers this slight bevel is almost totally obliterated by the time the bullet leaves the barrel, but leading is reduced by not having the slight "fin" dragged off the base corner, which has lower heat capacity and tends to be ablated away in heavy loads.

ALL of my Accurate design bullets are bevel-based.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Usually I prefer a flat base as bevel base boolits are a pain to loob with a lyman or RCBS. HOWEVER, for PC either one works for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I've used both and prefer flat base only because they are not messy to work with in a conventional lube/ sizer. The difference in accuracy between the two designs is likely minimal to none. In theory, the bevel base is easier to seat straight. Like many other unproven cast bullet assumptions, that might be true, but again, any difference is probably slight to not there at all. A notable exception might be with mass production of commercial ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    theory goes that you do not have to bell out the mouth of the brass No, they just align better when seating. Alignment with RN 9mm FB is more difficult, BB makes it easy.
    You hit the nail on the head!

I practice 50yd off hand on IDPA targets and the FB have an advantage. They consistantly score better.

I also like FB because any defect shows up more. I believe this is why commercial casters dont use them. I have a Ballisticast machine. I use only FB molds and no problem with bullets dropping.

Boolit Grand Master
    My preference is for plain base. I use Lyman and RCBS sizers, which accumulate lube under the boolit and in the bevel, making for problems.
    In my experiments, back around 1980, involving 38 Special wadcutters and 2 Revolvers, I found a very slight advantage in accuracy to the FB H&G 50 versus its BB counterpart, something in the nature of 1/4 inch at 50 yards. I have not repeated the test with any other molds. YMMV
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Bevel based bullets have a slightly better ballistic performance at longer ranges (a little less drag). I can't see far enough with my open sight rifles for it to make a difference, so I don't worry about it.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    I have only went through the trouble and expense once to have a beveled base mold opened up to a flat base , but this was just because the beveled base was damaged on a H/ G 10 cavity project mold . By the way Eric did a great job , and I wish I shot good enough to notice the difference

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast