RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1946 Delta Drill Press: Oiling Spindle

Boolit Master

The bearings in the spindle aren't sealed, they will have metal shields. I have two, I will periodically wipe the spindle (the part that lowers the drill chuck, it has a rack cut into the back side.) with an oily rag and using a syringe, squirt oil around the shaft (the part that holds the chuck). The bearings were lubed when the machine was manufactured but after 50 years they start showing their age. I can probably get the bearing number for you if you need to replace them. If they aren't screaming and clattering I wouldn't bother. Naturally the bearings are proprietary , I got mine from Timkin and yes, they were expensive. They are pretty good light duty machines, much better than current offering.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagnerwerks View Post
    Nla=no longer available. They are an odd bird. When the manual says oil the spindle, it means the top center section that goes up and down with the chuck.
    When I purchased mine, I fully disassembled mine and cleaned the bearings. I then used amsoil grease on it.
    I am hopeful that I never have to try to replace the bearings. It looks like a difficult endeavor. Right now, no squealing from the bearings and no apparent wobble at the chuck, so I plan to leave the bearings right where they are.

You are, of course, more than welcome to drop by and help me whitewash that fence.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Man
    Lol. Just finished Tom sawyer with my kids tonight.

When I said Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" This is what I meant. see pic below.

Not just any old Amsoil, this stuff is special, it is red in color, and it works so well it is criminal.

Best way oil, spindle oil and compressor oil out there and it wasn't meant for any of those.

It just works!

If you use it in your compressor pump it will coat the inside of your tank and you won't get rust thru or any rust in the water you drain out. I have had 3 compressors and all had this oil in them and all are still running. Never any rust in the drain water. Never a rusted out tank.

You will have to go to a local Amsoil distributor to get the stuff and he will likely have to order it.

Accept no substitutes !!!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Back in the late 60's my Dad bought two drill presses from the estate of the old plant carpenter. I worked for the Gentleman 1 summer, learned a lot. He was missing 3 fingers, cut of on table saw!!! Anyway one press xwas t bench top model Sears, no spindle bearings, just a machined bore, brass lined with take up screws. Fast forward to 2003, spindle wobbled so much about all it was good for was mixing paint!. Thought, I' ll just adjust it, nope ,slap worn out and no practile way to rebuild it. Hard to throw that away, did keep the old motor, dont make em like that any more.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    When I said Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" This is what I meant. see pic below.

Randy
    Randy,

Thank you! Not sure if there's on in Laramie, but I'll do a search.

Cheers,
    Richard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12