Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1946 Delta Drill Press: Oiling Spindle

Boolit Master

1946 Delta Drill Press: Oiling Spindle

I've got my DP up and running, and found a reproduction owner's manual that says to oil the spindle. But it does not say how. (Apparently, back in 1946, if you had one of these, you'd somehow know.) I sincerely hope it does not involve disassembling the head, removing bearings, etc.

Any suggestions?

Here's a picture. That hole at the top just beneath the pulley set is threaded and used for attaching the belt guard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DP_3363.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	215481

Thank you,
    Richard
    Last edited by RG1911; 03-01-2018 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Corrected information.

One of two things or maybe both. Typically you just drop oil on the top of the spindle and that will either lube both the spindle bearings or just the quill.

Or your bearings maybe be sealed or at least shielded in which case they are good to go for life. If you have to replace them just get sealed bearings for replacements, then you won't have this problem.

On Bridgeports the bearings were open and had a felt washer above them to filter out the low flying birds.

You lube the spindle bearings by dropping oil on top of the drawbar and it just runs down and thru the bearings until it drips out the bottom. even my newest machine (1992) is that way.

Gonna give you a hot tip here on Machine oil. Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" it stays on the job better than anything out there. I have been using it for 30+ years and in my Air Compressor it coats the inside of the tank so there is no rust,,, EVER!

This oil is sticky and stays on the job better than anything out there, including Mobil Vactra Oil or anything else you can come up with. One quart has lasted me for 25+ years!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    One of two things or maybe both. Typically you just drop oil on the top of the spindle and that will either lube both the spindle bearings or just the quill.

Or your bearings maybe be sealed or at least shielded in which case they are good to go for life. If you have to replace them just get sealed bearings for replacements, then you won't have this problem.

On Bridgeports the bearings were open and had a felt washer above them to filter out the low flying birds.

You lube the spindle bearings by dropping oil on top of the drawbar and it just runs down and thru the bearings until it drips out the bottom. even my newest machine (1992) is that way.

Gonna give you a hot tip here on Machine oil. Amsoil 20-50 "Racing Oil" it stays on the job better than anything out there. I have been using it for 30+ years and in my Air Compressor it coats the inside of the tank so there is no rust,,, EVER!

This oil is sticky and stays on the job better than anything out there, including Mobil Vactra Oil or anything else you can come up with. One quart has lasted me for 25+ years!

Randy
    Nice press. If you aren't hearing roar from bearings, I'd not worry about it. If you feel like there is excess noise, try a little in the top.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You may have to use a hypodermic type precision oiler to reach up under the pulley group.

That's all I can add to what Randy said.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Yes,a few drops on the top of the spindle will run down lubing everything and eventually drip off the chuck jaws.Run the quill up and down while oiling.

Boolit Master
    Many thanks! Fortunately, I have a hypodermic-type oiler. Will look around for the Amsoil.

It turned very stiffly when I powered it up after cleaning it, so figured it needed some lubrication. Otherwise, it's working well. I am going to look out for the smaller table; the one on it is called a production table and does not offer a way to clamp a vise to the table.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master
    My Walker Turners have oil cups. I'm sure you can just oil the top of the spindle and let it run through. I oiled both machines before I started mine as they both hadn't be used in well over 20yrs ea. I have this one & a bench top model as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    My Walker Turners have oil cups. I'm sure you can just oil the top of the spindle and let it run through. I oiled both machines before I started mine as they both hadn't be used in well over 20yrs ea. I have this one & a bench top model as well.
    Thank you. Looks quite similar to the Delta, although I did not detect and oil cup.

Cheers,
    Richard

Boolit Master

Nice drill presses! Those presses look solid.

Nice W/T's NYFire.....they're what we use and build.Mobile 1here,give'm a squirt from time time.

W/T's,got a mint '46 radial with the enclosed base,32 speed.And a 49'ish 1200,power downfeed.Former in machine shop,latter in cabinet shop.They pay their way pert near on a daily basis.I love it when folks start blabbering about parts availability.The two above haven't needed any?

Boolit Master
    I had a 4 head Walker Turner gang press in the old MGM Machine Shop; 1930s or maybe '40s I suspect. For a lot of stuff, I liked them better than the newer variable speed Powermatics.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I don't know that brand of drill, but I expect the top of the spindle is centre drilled. Check whether a needle or small drill will go down a small diameter central hole. It could be that oil is meant to go out there, and leak out of a very small transverse hole at the top of, or even covered by, the bearing bushing.

Boolit Master
    The one in the picture needs a start/run capacitor something like 371MFD. Everything else is original, even the belt on this one says Walker Turner.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    NYfirefighter's drill has the sort of thing I meant, but an oil cup and perhaps a reservoir which RG1911's doesn't, and quite possibly doesn't need. If it has sintered bronze bearings such as oilite, it will need very little oil.

It is amazing just how good some of these old tools can be, and I think a lot of so-called improvements are just production economies and hype. It isn't long since I saw a British engineering firm boss on TV, showing the plaque on his smallish overhead gantry crane, showing that it was made by Mr. Royce before he thought "I can make a car that will never break down". We have had motors perfectly good for electric cars for a hundred years, but it has taken us that long to solve the control and (they say) the battery problem.
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 03-04-2018 at 05:53 AM.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Good-looking Walker Turner. Obviously still being used.
    Plastic? Planned obsolescence? Unnecessary "improvements?"
    Sorry. No capisce.

Boolit Man
    I have the same Delta drill press with a mortising attachment. The bearing in the head is not sealed and is nla. Make sure you keep oiling and amsoil is a great recommendation.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagnerwerks View Post
    I have the same Delta drill press with a mortising attachment. The bearing in the head is not sealed and is nla. Make sure you keep oiling and amsoil is a great recommendation.
    NLA?
    And where should I add the Amsoil?

Thank you,
    Richard

Boolit Man
    Nla=no longer available. They are an odd bird. When the manual says oil the spindle, it means the top center section that goes up and down with the chuck.
    When I purchased mine, I fully disassembled mine and cleaned the bearings. I then used amsoil grease on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast