RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: How do you folks display your collections?

Boolit Bub

How do you folks display your collections?

Hello all,
    I bought an estate that had several boxes of antique cartridges included in it. They were mostly loose and not labeled as to what they are. Some of the head stamps make it clear as to what the cartridge is, some do not. My wife had an old printers tray that wasn't being used and I decided to make a display board out of it. I would like to label the cartridges that I can identify on the display but it seems to clutter up the appearance of the display board. I just like looking at it the way it is but was wondering if anyone has come up with a way to label a display that doesn't detract from the overall appearance.

Any thoughts?

Here is a picture of what I made:

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cartridge Board.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Daved63, how about a transparent label with black printing. Could place about the cartridge.

That's really nice, Sir, and my compliments. Not being a cartridge collector myself, and having given many unusual samples away, it's always intrigued me that someone has the time and enterprise to make all the little individual boxes and shelves. I'd suggest a Plexiglas front for the display, as the slightest tremor, like a mild earthquake, will have you searching for loose rounds all over the floor! Also, would keep unauthorized fingers off the samples.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    That's really nice, Sir, and my compliments. Not being a cartridge collector myself, and having given many unusual samples away, it's always intrigued me that someone has the time and enterprise to make all the little individual boxes and shelves. I'd suggest a Plexiglas front for the display, as the slightest tremor, like a mild earthquake, will have you searching for loose rounds all over the floor! Also, would keep unauthorized fingers off the samples.
    Thank you for the compliments, but I didn't make the actual box, it is an old printers tray used for type setting in the printing business. It had all the dividers in it already. My wife uses them for various decorative items and there happened to be an unused one that I grabbed for this project. The cartridges are attached to the tray with a very good double sided tape so that small disturbances will not cause them to move or fall out. I tried a piece of clear acrylic as a front cover, mainly to keep dust out, but I didn't like the way light is reflected on the surface.

A dab of clear silicone on the bottom of each cartridge will secure it in place and allow for easy removal.

If you go to the cartridge collectors association website they recommend the PILOT SCA-UF marker for writing directly on the cartridge itself. This takes a little practice but it can be done and looks decent.

How about a list of what you are having problems identifying and some photos?
    If your mind goes blank don't forget to turn off the sound!

Boolit Master
    I used a display box like they use in the Flea Markets to display things. I put in a thick piece of foam as well as a piece of silk like cloth and placed the cartridges in it. I need to replace the foam as it is getting old and some of the cartridges have moved on me. I also have a shadow box with some assorted rimfire cartridges in it and another with assorted shotshells in it too. I used hot glue to stick the cartridges in the shadow boxes.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartridge_collection_01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	215699
    Last edited by Earlwb; 03-04-2018 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Master

Looks good! To ID the mystery cartridges get a copy of CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD , that and a set of dial calipers are pretty much all you need to get hooked er I mean to ID them. Enjoy your new hobby!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master

Really cool display. I like the idea mentioned by Der Gebirgsjager about putting a bit of glass in front of it.

Boolit Bub
    I buy shadow boxes meant to display coins. Remove every 2nd shelf for long cartridges, but pistol length mostly fits fine as-is. Michael's has reasonable prices, if you wait for the two for one sales.