RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Smith Model 48?

Boolit Grand Master

Purpose of Smith Model 48?

I’m a hand gunner at heart. Love my rifles but no trip to the range is complete without a decent wheelgun. Typically a Smith or Ruger.

Saw a nice 48-2 Smith at the local fun store and got me thinking, what would I do with this if I had it. Ammo more expensive than 22 and more than cheap 38 special loads by me. More than needed for most small game up close when a 22lr will suffice. Too loud to use without hearing protection compared to 22 for a random target of opportunity.

Perhaps you gents with more insight than me can figure out what purpose this would have to a pistolero.

Boolit Master
    Well you pretty well summed up why 22 Magnum isn’t a hot seller.
    GEORGOUS gun though!
    My best guess is handloaders don’t have a use for it, but those that don’t might.
    I have a couple of 22 Magnum handguns, Single Sixes. Anytime I need (want) to shoot a Single Six, I pass up my 22 Magnums for the 32 H&Rs. If I want to shoot a Smith in that general power range, I grab a Hand Ejector or Model 30 in 32 S&W.

Yep I’d look at a 48, but probably leave it for someone else to love.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

Only a thought but when the 48 was introduced, I wonder if mag ammo wasn't quite far out of range? It would make a good sidearm for a trapper. Just a couple of thoughts...
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    The 22 Magnum has a greater range capability over the .22 LR. When you need to reach out that extra 50 yards. So basically you could reach out to 75 to 100 yards with it for small game like rabbits, etc. At close range it has a little more energy to the bullets when they hit something. Now granted pistols aren't all that great for such longer range shooting, but the recoil is mild though. Some people want that extra range edge when using one in the field.

But as already mentioned, it is quite a bit more loud with noise, the ammo is more expensive, and it can't normally be reloaded.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 02-28-2018 at 10:26 PM. Reason: add more information

Too bad they don’t market 22 wrf as a bulk plinker for 22 WMR. Say $30 a brick.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Great revolver to convert to center-fire and rechamber to .224 Harvey Kay-Chuk

I got a .22 LR K-22 cylinder and crane assy. I was going to do, but never got around to doing, if anybody really has the hots for it PM me.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    If you don't have one that might be reason enough alone. It also wouldn't surprise me if it didn't outshoot the average K-22.
    The price would have to be right, or as you note, other guns could fill its role easily.

Boolit Master

.22 Mag is a popular cartridge with some of my buddies who are into fox and coyote hunting, but most of them aren't into reloading or aren't nearly as into reloading as most of the novices here. Can't reload it; costs a lot; from what it sounds like, one type of ammo isn't likely to shoot even close to the same point of impact as the next; if you need more than a .22LR, you probably need A LOT more than a .22LR.

I see exactly ZERO appeal to it. There's a number of S&W 53's on GB at present in .22 Rem Jet that would fill that niche, and allow rolling your own. Alternatively, the straight-wall .32 family of rounds would fill that niche with guns a lot more modern and a lot less collectible.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned
    osteodoc08,

JUST 'CAUSE.
    (Back in the day, .22MAG was fairly popular with coon-hunters to take down treed coons. = .22MAG shells were cheaper then.)

I prefer a .38SPL & 148 grain WC for that sized game & once had a LONG-barreled S&W.

yours, tex

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    There is a reloading rig on the evil auction site for 22 LR and 22 Mag, actually; I am not sure if it's corrosive or not, but I've looked at it. Looks usable and probably would be cheaper than buying new 22 Mag ammo.

Boolit Master

I have a couple of boxes of 22 mag from the late 60's ( i think ) that are marked $3.25
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master

You have a good candidate for a 32 magnum or 327 conversation.
    A better game getter, and defense round.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

I love my 48. It is wickedly accurate and the cost....well it is a specialty gun and for shooting coyotes and hogs, when shot in the head, are a great weapon. I dont recommend them as a target gun but it does serve a nitch for me....just my 2 cents worth.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

The 22 wrm Model 48 is just one of those itches that just has to be scratched. I did and it didn’t take long to move on. Mine would leave burnt
    Powder under the ejector star after
    the 2nd cylinder full, making closing the cylinder darned near impossible. Mine was a 4” gun and when I would tilt the muzzle up to drop the empties, the unburied powder rolled out of the barrel under the star. Velocity was not spectacular from the short barrel either so when I found a guy with a 6” 686 who had “the itch” I helped him scratch it.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Too bad they don’t market 22 wrf as a bulk plinker for 22 WMR. Say $30 a brick.
    Not exactly a brick..but you can by boxes of 200 rounds. I buy a lot of 22LR and 22WMR from these guys.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/22-wmr-ammo-c-203.aspx

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    The .22 LR uses a heeled, externally lubricated bullet, the .22 WMR does not use a heeled bullet. That difference alone is a big reason for the 22 WMR's success. Then you factor in the greater velocity of the 22 WMR.
    However, I agree with the OP; in a handgun, the benefits of the 22 WMR over the 22 LR begin to be overshadowed by the negatives (more noise, more cost, same bullet weight).

When we start getting into 22 WMR handgun territory - the 32 S&W Long and the 32 H&R mag begin to look really good.

I do think the 22 WMR has a place in a rifle but then we have the .22 Hornet in competition as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Back in the day, S&W would retrofit a .22 LR cylinder to Model 48s. That made things a bit more useful.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor
    Aimpoint USA L/E Pro Staff
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I've had a 22 mag rifle a marlin 925m, and I can use moms single six if I like with the magnum cylinder. I prefer the LR cylinder for sure in it. Its fun to shoot the magnum occasionally but, The increased cost and sound are not worth it to me. I use ear protection with the LR cylinder, but if I take a shot of opportunity without ear protection, It aint horrible.

Getting a little off track with rifle talk but I posted a couple of years back about my perfect woodchuck gun being my colt 22 WMR single shot rifle and 2 one shot kills. I have shot more 22 WMR out of that single shot rifle than the 2 colt peacemakers that have extra 22 mag. cylinders.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by smkummer View Post
    Getting a little off track with rifle talk but I posted a couple of years back about my perfect woodchuck gun being my colt 22 WMR single shot rifle and 2 one shot kills. I have shot more 22 WMR out of that single shot rifle than the 2 colt peacemakers that have extra 22 mag. cylinders.
    I have one of those Colt single shot 22 Magnum rifles (Colteer 1-22). I use it for on armadillos and pocket gophers tearing up my yard. Always one shot kills.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast