Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Smith Model 48?

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    I have one of those Colt single shot 22 Magnum rifles (Colteer 1-22). I use it for on armadillos and pocket gophers tearing up my yard. Always one shot kills.
    I could never shoot one with my model 48 but to be sure, in a rifle, is is a whole 'nother round. My CZ 512m chronos a flat 2000 fps with federal 40 gr rounds and hits varmints hard. I've had some big coons take off when hit with a 22lr but the mag anchors them DRT.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Back to the OP's original question: Why does the Model 48 exist? The answers is plain to see (by me anyway). Smith brought it out to fill an empty space in their lineup. And ,hopefully, make money. Probably didn't happen and that is why collectors put a premium on them now. They have no real practical advantage, as mentioned by most of the posters on this thread. I will add that I do own a couple of 22 mag. guns. A Marlin bolt gun (my primary bunny gun) and Ruger SS(old model). While I shoot a box or so a year out of the Marlin, it has been over 30 years since I fired the mag cylinder in the Ruger.

Super Moderator

I have an old model Single Six with both cylinders, and the 22 Mag cylinder is what stays in it. There is a substantial difference in how it performs on game. Having said that, I don't think I'd rush out and get another 22 Mag revolver even though 22 Mag ammo has become more available lately.(unless the price was right!)

Boolit Master
    I like the .22mag. Yes, I can shoot a 38spl cheaper by reloading, but......I can carry a lot of rimfire ammo in my pocket without weighing myself down. It's dynamite on small game, foxes, coyotes, woodchucks, etc. It reaches out quite a bit further than the .22lr (if you're a good enough shot), and it's just plain fun to shoot. I have a lot of centerfire handguns but I always reach for a rimfire when I'm out cruising my property and don't expect to see anything in particular.

Boolit Grand Master
    You know, I don’t have as much problem seeing why the Model 48 did exist as I do understanding why S&W wasn’t able to sell more units of the Model 16! BTW, I currently have a K-22 cylinder like the one mentioned by Outpost75 being reworked to make a K-32.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

If it could be rechambered in 22 hornet, and the barrel lengthened to about 8", and the cylinder gap could be eliminated...wait I'm describing something different entirely.

Boolit Master

I read where a SD/HD expert said the 22 mag double action pistol was overlooked for women. The 22 Mag offers a lot over the 22 LR but with manageable recoil for a petite woman.
    Most small woman can not rack the slide of autos thus a revolver is the go weapon. A 38 Sec. sometimes is too much for a woman also. The expert observed that most women became proficient with the 22 Mag.

Boolit Master
    I knew a guy years ago that uesd one to take cats up in a tree after his dogs chased it there. He worked all over chasen cougars, the four legged kind that is .

I come from handloading background and I guess I inherited from my old man a mental block
    against 22 mags. This was only because we could load Hornets and Bees as cheap as 22 mag
    ammo. I have had a lot of 22mags over the years but never bought one, always on trades. On
    the 48 S&W I've had a few and they were up to K22 standards of accurracy. I don't own one now
    and don't want one. I have 50+ S&Ws from k22 to m29s. I don't need a 22mg, I've had 53s too.
    Don't need 22jet either. The 32/20 is a better field gun than either one. I have often wondered
    about 16s, they could have sold a lot more than they made. The only reason I can think of is they
    didn't want to risk getting in a higher tax bracket.

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I’m a hand gunner at heart. Love my rifles but no trip to the range is complete without a decent wheelgun. Typically a Smith or Ruger.

Saw a nice 48-2 Smith at the local fun store and got me thinking, what would I do with this if I had it. Ammo more expensive than 22 and more than cheap 38 special loads by me. More than needed for most small game up close when a 22lr will suffice. Too loud to use without hearing protection compared to 22 for a random target of opportunity.

Perhaps you gents with more insight than me can figure out what purpose this would have to a pistolero.
    How long is the barrel on this little gem your looking at? I always thought that if my 48 had a 6" barrel it might have been able to burn the powder instead of leaving unburnt flakes under the ejector star. Personally, I like the idea of a bit more punch of the 22wrm vs the 22lr even if it is marginal. 22 mag ammo is very available now and Midsouth Shooters Supply had the Hornady 22 mag 30 gr on sale for about $9.75 a box and may still be there now at that price. If you can buy it for a reasonable price, you wont get "hung" with it. As I stated in my earlier post, I traded mine for a 6" 686, but I have a lot more patience than I do money. Kinda' sorta' wish I had mine back. It would have been a 6" gun now instead of a 4 incher. As we all know, when it comes to buying a new gun, it's not about need--not even close!!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

6” but haven’t looked closely at it

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've been debating, do I get something that shoots 22 Mag so I can use the empties for getting into swaging varminting boolits, or, just find a source for something else to use for jackets? Decisions, decisions LOL

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    6” but haven’t looked closely at it
    What's the asking price?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    You have a good candidate for a 32 magnum or 327 conversation.
    A better game getter, and defense round.
    I REALLY wish S&W would play ball and make a an Airweight snub J-Frame in .327 Fed Mag as a 6-hole'r. They make a steel 3" in .327 with the L-Comp type barrel port which I'd love to have but not to carry. An Airweight or Scandium snub... Shut up and take my money!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    What's the asking price?
    $700 or $750. Didn’t look closely. Not sure if it’s with box and docs or what. I just thought, oh, that’s neat, but was in a hurry and didn’t have a chance to look at it more closely.

I picked up a 48 with the 8-3/8 barrel a while back in a trade- very nice to shoot (but I don't often, I'm a .32 S&W/H&R nutcase), but I'd not thought of contacting S&W to see about a .22 LR cylinder... I'll be picking up the phone tomorrow
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master

Last time i checked, they would not do it. That was several years ago. I hope they have changed that policy. I had a 648 fitted with and aux. 22 lr cylinder in 1996. That was a great deal. Let us know what they tell you.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Customer service sounded a bit tired to be truthful, after chatting with the guy for a bit he became a bit more personable- indicated that they've been getting lots of calls from people wanting to talk gun control and / or being very rude on the phone. He said that they would no longer refit cylinders.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

I have a Heritage Rough Rider switch cylinder in .22lr/.22mag.

For the first time in 19 years I took it to the range and put the .22mag cylinder in.

As a .22lr shooter it has been lackluster. Groups not that small, no adjustable sights, groups bigger than I like. Groups wander depending on ammo chosen. It was just hard to pin down.

As a .22mag none of that has been the case.

Shot to point of aim, exactly. Groups were half the size of the .22lr.
    I had a good set of headphones on, never was aware of the noise.
    What I was aware of was the soccer ball sized ball of fire on pulling the trigger.
    And the movement of air back at my face from same ball of fire.

As it happens I have a pretty good stash of old .22mag loads that are available to be burned when the spirit moves me.

But I have to agree, I have more fun shooting the H&R 732 in .32sw long. .314 90 gr TC over 2 grains of Red Dot. Cheap to make, fun to cast and reload for, and a blast to shoot.

Little pop, and there is a hole pretty close to where I was pointing.

The little H&R's have short barrels. I can see me investing in something with a 6" barrel that is chambered for .32 H&R mag or .327 Fed Mag. Even though I would mostly shoot the .32sw longs.

Those are just a joy to shoot.

Boolit Master
    The 22 Mag is a lot better killer than .22 lr in either a rifle or a handgun. I own two 48’s, one a six inches, the other wears an 8 3/8” tube.

I handload and cast plenty of CF arms but still find uses for the .22 Mag.

I would like to have found a 648 but they seem to be scarce as hen’s teeth! Been toying with buying the Charter Arms 4” with adj. sights in stainless.

These are not guns to go plinking with, never were. They are for business. As a rancher I prefer the .22 Mag for putting down horses and cattle that need it and any other job where I want less noise but effective external ballistics. I first was drawn to the cartridge in a handgun because we started having cougar problems and were using houndsmen.

I have several hornet lead flippers too, they take lots of futzing around with. When ranch business calls the futzing around goes out the window and I want results.

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 03-09-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast