RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bench bag media that's unaffected by moisture?

Boolit Buddy

Bench bag media that's unaffected by moisture?

I'm using sand now. I only have to carry the bags 50 yards, so that's not a big deal. Just wondering what else there is besides cat litter that is a good filler; maybe some plastic beads? I have problems with humidity so I prefer something that won't absorb water.

Boolit Master

the stuff sold as "heavy sand" by sinclair and some of the other br shooting places is not affected by moisture, and as the name implies, it is heavy.

Boolit Master
    Airsoft BBs work well but are kinda pricy depending on how many bags you need to fill and how large they are. There are some bulk plastic pellets available also. Our local sheriff's shooting range uses them in their bags. I believe these are the bulk pellets as manufactured by industry to be shipped to various plastic molding concerns. Don't know how or where to purchase them though.

Victory Pellets (10 Pounds) Weighted Blankets, Rock Tumbling, Doll and Craft Plastic Poly Beads. FDA Compliant. Made in USA. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T3J8CW..._8Q1LAb1FSQ6W5
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

I use rice in my home made bag
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow ninja View Post
    Victory Pellets (10 Pounds) Weighted Blankets, Rock Tumbling, Doll and Craft Plastic Poly Beads. FDA Compliant. Made in USA. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074T3J8CW..._8Q1LAb1FSQ6W5
    That looks very much like what I was talking about.

Boolit Buddy
    Plastic pellets. I got mine in the sewing section of my local WalMart.

Boolit Grand Master

Have a friend that filled a small front bag with lead #10 shot. This bag sits on his front rest. I have seen rice, walnut hulls, ground corn cob, sands used in bags. These are susceptible to moisture. If it is a shot bag place a plastic bag in the canvas shot bag and fill tie off the plastic bag and then the shot bag. Another Ive seen that would be moisture resistant is the glass beads for blasting Here used would be even better as they will be broken down to a finer size. Plastic beads would be lighter. A local indoor range had some "loaner" bags that were filled with macaroni. Light and easy to carry.

Boolit Master
    My sandbags are sewn from the leg of old jeans. I use sand now since I shoot at home but when I had to carry my bags I used shelled corn. If it stays wet too long it will mold but since I feed shelled corn it is pretty easy to change it out.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

My leather bags have been full of cornmeal for 20 years with no problem. But I do not leave them out in the rain.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I use aquarium rock can find it on sale from time to time
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

Old blue jeans leg here as well. I filled it with masonry sand many years ago. Even cut it open to fill my owl ear bag. Zip tied the hole back and good as new.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    google search 10-15-20-25-lbs-Plastic-Poly-Pellets-Weighted-Blankets-Bags-Doll-Filler-Toys
    10# $22.99 shipped from the site we are not allowed to link to.
    15# $27.99
    20# $36.99
    25# $49.99

Boolit Grand Master

Soy Beans! Light and work well I have them in a 20 mm ammo box with a carpeted step attached. Set it on the bench, pull out the bags ammo and muffs and turn it sideways and there you are... all set to shoot in one easy package.

Best part of soy beans is on any field end you can pick up a couple bags full for free!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If it is a shot bag place a plastic bag in the canvas shot bag and fill tie off the plastic bag and then the shot bag.
    That is the way I do it. "Sugar sand" in plastic bag, then shotbag.
    No issues yet. I do keep them in the jeep or truck when not in use though.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I use 'Play Ground Sand' from one of the big box hardware store in a coin or money bag from the First Hawaiian Bank. Been using them for about 25 years. Also have one set filled with spent primers from my Hornady LNL.

Steve.........
    NRA Endowment Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    North American Hunting Club Life Member

Boolit Master
    A friend of mine used to work in a plant where they made plastic items, by injection molding. They used a fine shredded plastic. Anytime some spilled out, it was "contaminated" so it was swept up & discarded. I got a few 5 gallon buckets of this stuff for free. I've made several shooting bags with it, and it is not affected by moisture. Packed tight, sewn into jean legs, makes for excellent bags.

Boolit Master

Spent primers. Some what heavy but they will dry and work wet.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Grand Master
    That is what I use. I used to manage a plastic injection molding company so I had huge supply. If there is plastics company near you, drop in and see if they will give you some. The stuff is cheap and I doubt they would even charge you for it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I used playground sand in my bags 17 years ago. My bags have been used in a variety of climates (Alaska, Texas, Nevada and Oklahoma). They have been stored in climate controlled buildings and sometimes in unheated/cooled buildings. I don't seem to have any problems with moisture.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast