Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Which revolver for a woods/bumming gun?

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    They both have their uses. Probably my favorite are replaceable fixed sights, I wish more wheel guns came with them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I prefer fixed sights on working guns.
    Me too. They never move or fail.

File when the load is right, and the gun is static. Just......works.

Boolit Master
    Smith and Wesson 4" Model 24 .44 Special with 7.5 Unique 250 grain Keith or 4 3/4" Colt Single Action with same load.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    Thought I would contributed .02¢ to this conversation.
    I have a pretty good collection of handguns and have several that I use for open carry when hiking or hunting.
    In the northern part of Pennsylvania, I generally carry either a S&W M57 in .41Mag or a BlackHawk in the same caliber.
    In South Central Pennsylvania, where I live and do most of my one day short hikes, I generally carry one of half a dozen .357Mag revolvers, sometimes a BlackHawk and sometimes a Colt Trooper.
    Reasons are there are some big black bears up North so the .41Mag is a better choice...down south I may run into feral dogs or two-legged predators, so I think the .357 is a good compromise.

My son just won a auction on GunBroker for. S&W M66 with a 6" barrel that he says will be his hiking/ hunting carry gun. He has been carrying one of my .41Mags when we hunt or hike upstate, but it seems like that may change.

Banned
    Brad Cayton,

IF weight & concealability are issues, may I suggest a S&W Model 12 "Airweight" in 2, 3 or 4 inch barrel.
    (The 2" weighs about ONE pound loaded. = In it's Don Hume OWB holster, I often forgot that I was carrying a handgun.)

yours, tex

Boolit Buddy
    Without reading through 7 pages of replies on my lunch break......I will put in a note for the Ruger LCR in
    357. Other than adjustable sights, mine fits the requirements as I read them...lightweight, shoots 38 Spec, and carries nicely all day long.
    The major adjustment I made to mine is putting a Pachmeyer G10 grip on mine...world of difference in handling for me. And believe it or not, a perfect point of aim shooter with my 180 grain WFN load in 357 Mag. I had trouble telling the difference between factory 38 Spec 158gr loads and my 180gr WFN....perfection for me, as this load shoots excellent through my Henry, GP100, Blackhawk, and now this LCR.....

One cannot ask for more.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Boolit Buddy
    Hi fellas,
    I decided on the SP101 with the 4.2" barrel. We have a 4", min. barrel length for hunting here in WV. I bought it from Buds and the barrel was canted bad enough that it wouldn't zero with the rear adjusted all the way to the left. I shipped it back to Ruger. I got a call last week saying they would replace it with another one.
    I called Ruger today as I kinda expected it to be here in a weeks time. Customer service says they have an order to build one and I will be emailed when it ships. I've been a Ruger fan for years but this is getting too common place in my opinion.
    I would rather buy local but that's not an option here unless you want plastic semi's and the prices are out of sight. The shop in town keeps very little in stock. I ordered a S&W Shield for my daughter last fall from them, I paid $125 more than I could get it online and waited over 3 weeks for them to get it in. The fella I dealt with for years, retired and sold out a few years back. It's getting harder for brick and mortar shops to stay in business so I'm stuck ordering online and hoping for the best.

Boolit Master
    I had a 327 Federal 4" same issue. How the heck does that get past QC or final inspection?

My brother had a Security Six with a canted barrel and I had a Super BH 10-1/2" with a cross threaded barrel in the 1980's. The front of the frame still had what looked like saw marks.
    I had an OM BH .357 that would shoot bullets sideways.
    But the other 50 Rugers I've had were great but I haven't bought a new one in ten years.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What you're saying there reminds me of a green beret I worked with in the mid seventies.
    He had carried a Ruger Black Hawk. He found that on one chamber he couldn't tell where it was going so he didn't use that chamber.
    So yeah, reckon he'd rather to have had a .357 caliber 5-shooter than none at all.

Boolit Buddy
    Well fellas, I figured I'd update if anyone's still wondering.

My FFL dealer called last evening to tell me my replacement SP 101 arrived. The Ruger rep. I talked to said they would email me when it shipped but I never received one. It's been a month since I sent the first one in and I had sorta forgotten about it. The Ruger rep. told me to send my receipt for the FFL transfer to them for reimbursement but they worked it out with the LGS and I didn't have to pay another transfer fee.

It looked good, no canted barrel so I figured I'd take it home. I didn't slug the barrel but the throats are perfect at .358. I had some RCBS 150s and 6 grains of Unique in 357 cases loaded and it put 5 in 1 1/2 at 25 yards off hand. It did just about the same with the Lee WC and 3 grains of BE in 38 brass. I was able to take out 3 water bottles at 50 yards with 4 rounds of the 357s. The little thing is a shooter! It seems that just about every adjustable sighted Ruger handgun I've bought in the last few years needs a higher front sight for me but this one is good. I'm just about half way on adjustment with the rear sight.

It still bites to have to send a firearm back and wait for a month but Ruger did me right in the end.

Boolit Mold
    Brad C, that is indeed a happy outcome to the story of the SP101, both in patience and product finally received. And - very fine marksmanship! I don't own an SP101, but older SS Security Six 4" is a commendable shooter

Regards,

Dyson

Boolit Buddy
    Ruger is usually good about making things right on a return /defective product.

Sounds like all it took was a bit of time and patience to get this outcome.
    Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Sirach 2: 4-9

Any questions.......http://http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?293211-Bubba-w-a-45-70-is-a-bonafied-straight-shooter
    Or here....http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-shooter-too!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567