Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which revolver for a woods/bumming gun?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes I did, I ordered the SP101 from Buds and picked it up yesterday. I thought the barrel looked like it was off center but took delivery anyway. I shot it this afternoon and I have the rear sight adjusted all the way to the left and it still shoots to the right a little. Also my pin gauges say the cylinder throats are .355. I have a shipping label coming from Ruger to send it back. I've been a Ruger fan for years but this is the 3rd of 6 handguns I've had to send back in the last couple years.
    I went with the Ruger over the Smith mostly for the 4.2" barrel as my state has a 4" min. barrel law for hunting. I'm sure Ruger will make it right but it's bullcrap that they ship stuff like this.

Banned
    It's a shame that Ruger's out the door quality has dropped but they'll make it right.

Beyond the problems of that particular SP101, I think you have selected an EXCELLENT revolver for your purpose.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cayton View Post
    Yes I did, I ordered the SP101 from Buds and picked it up yesterday. I thought the barrel looked like it was off center but took delivery anyway. I shot it this afternoon and I have the rear sight adjusted all the way to the left and it still shoots to the right a little. Also my pin gauges say the cylinder throats are .355. I have a shipping label coming from Ruger to send it back. I've been a Ruger fan for years but this is the 3rd of 6 handguns I've had to send back in the last couple years.
    I went with the Ruger over the Smith mostly for the 4.2" barrel as my state has a 4" min. barrel law for hunting. I'm sure Ruger will make it right but it's bullcrap that they ship stuff like this.
    I purchased a 327 Federal mag and the barrel had the same issue but got worse with each shot. Pain in the keester to pack it up and ship it back. QC really has gone to heck but it's not just Ruger issue its in all industries and products. Loss of pride in product and company and workmanship.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think Ruger has spread itself too thin. It used to be kind of rare that they introduced anything new, but quality of new guns was consistently excellent. Now they have an enormous lineup but seems like initial quality has really suffered.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Petrol, I do think it'll do the job very well once it's fixed.

Ferg, you may be right. Ruger has been steadily rolling out new stuff. My older Rugers were fine from the get go and finished much better too. Seems quantity over quality is more their standard.

I'll let you all know how it works out,

Thanks

Boolit Master
    But then they roll out the Ruger American that are inexpensive and tack drivers so maybe it's just the handguns???

Boolit Grand Master
    No, my Ruger American 308 was not properly chambered and would not allow the bolt to close and I ended up with a replacement. I too have had to send several guns back to Ruger. Ever since they got on the "Million Plus Guns a Year" plan, their quality has gone to heck. They are now literally a coin toss in my experience, you have a 50/50 shot at getting a decent gun out of the box new.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

[/img]
    Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 04-28-2020 at 07:34 AM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    No, my Ruger American 308 was not properly chambered and would not allow the bolt to close and I ended up with a replacement. I too have had to send several guns back to Ruger. Ever since they got on the "Million Plus Guns a Year" plan, their quality has gone to heck. They are now literally a coin toss in my experience, you have a 50/50 shot at getting a decent gun out of the box new.
    They're at two million a year now. I am extremely disenchanted with their lack of quality; unfitted grip frames, grips that leave visible gaps between wood and steel, unpolished exteriors, over/under timed barrels, thread constrictions, etc. And one thing that I find absolutely unacceptable is the variation in single action grip frame shapes. The grip frames are individually hand 'finished,' and they vary from knife-edge corners to a pleasant radius, depending on who did them and what day it was. In a world of CNC machining that is essentially as accurate as the manufacturer wants it to be, you can count on the grip frames of all Ruger single action revolvers to be visibly different.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

If I want to go and be ready for anything, this BlackHawk .45 Colt is the answer. It always carries my favorite handload; a 245 grain or 260 grain swc over 18 grains of 2400. This load does nearly 1100 fps from this 4" and 1250 fps from my 7-1/2".

For general moseying in the bush it's my S&W M15 .38spl.

Often my little Colt Woodsman Sport Target .22LR.

Perfecto is my 4" .38 spl Diamondback.

All are light, comfortable carry pieces and only the Ruger has much weight; but the BH is for squirrel to dinosaur to tin can.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    ^^^^ALL good choices and nice guns^^^^
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I‘D opt for an adjustable rear sighted 38 special revolver, 4” bbl. S&W K-frame or Ruger Security Six.

Or same revolver in 38/ 357 mag.

They don’t weigh much, and COULD take a close shot at a deer -if it came to it. Perfect for anything smaller or to just plink.

The 4” sp101 could be interesring.

I also like the 4 5/8” bbl Ruger flattop in 357 or 44 special.
    Last edited by catboat; 04-07-2018 at 02:05 PM.

OP said bumming pistol. For that I carry a K22 S&W. Here in Ohio a 22 will handle any bumming
    chores. If it was deer season I would do my bumming with S&W 25 or Ruger SBH. I have several
    38s & 357s but they are to much for most situations and a little light for deer. Not that they won't
    do if that's what you want to carry. I do carry a beater M19 for a truck gun and a M34 while
    Wade fishing. That's the one I'd like to replace just to save it from possible dunkings. I have found
    several 22 autos the fit the bill but I can't shoot them as well.

Of the ones I've had in the past, I miss the Ruger 4-5/8" SSM .32 H&R mag. the most.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Mdl. 60! Adjustable sights are great when the fixed sights don't hit point of aim!
    adjust your loads to hit p.o.a

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by northernlead View Post
    adjust your loads to hit p.o.a
    And you can "Adjust" fixed sights as well, however it requires more work

Most knowledgeable shooters will adjust sights one time and never fool with them again. I can see some advantage for a gun commonly used with different bullet weights but I've never understood the obsession with adjustable sights.

Fixed sights don't "get out of adjustment". Fixed sights are not as fragile as adjustable sights. Fixed sights tend to snag on things less than adjustable sights and typically are not as sharp as adjustable sights. And fixed sights generally cost less to start with.

Adjustable sights have their place but in many applications fixed sights are superior to adjustable sights.

Yesterday I was fixing fence in the back woods. Snakes and pigs in there but I didn't see either. I had a P97 Ruger .45 acp in my right back pocket just in case. It was no defense against the briars, locust tree thorns and poison ivy......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Re: P&P and fixed sights.

Although I love my adj.sight M60, I am very confident in my fixed-sight M64's; shooting extremely close to point-of-aim from 10-25 yds even with factory loads - so doesn't require load tuning. But even better, I have supreme confidence in it being "sighted in" every time I pick it up - something I don't always have with my M60: "The last time out, did I adjust the sights for something else?"

Now, going between .38Spl & .357 cartridges; that's when the adj.sights really shine on the M60. But for a .38Spl-only revolver, I confess to having more confidence with fixed sights.
    Last edited by Kestrel4k; 04-14-2018 at 01:37 PM.

Banned
    I prefer fixed sights on working guns.

Boolit Master
    I have carried a handgun most every day for 31 years on the job and another 18 since I retired....fixed and adjustable sights. I have had no problems with either type. The advantage of adjustable is ease of getting it to shoot to point of aim, and unless you change loads it them becomes a non issue.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast