Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Which revolver for a woods/bumming gun?

Boolit Master
    The model 60 is a great package. Odds are it won't need a trigger job either.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Mdl. 60! Adjustable sights are great when the fixed sights don't hit point of aim!
    Nothing a babbit bar or brass hammer and a file won't fix...
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I hear you on weight and how it seems to grow as the day goes on. The 38 special is sort of a do it all load. Simple truth is none of the 2 leg varmits wants to get shot with whatever you put in it as long as it goes bang. Good selection of loads and bullets in 38 also which should help you with finding the best accuracy round. Or at the least keep you entertained looking for which bullet, powder and load is the "best".

I think I'm inclined to agree with those that suggest the longer barrel, if you are going to shoot at game then increased accuracy from longer barrel is most likely to make hauling the thing around "pay off" as opposed to being a waste of time. Would kind of stink to haul it around all day and have your only shot be a miss. And anything in .38 is probably a whole lot less weight than the 44
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Grand Master
    I saw my answer at post #4 and periodically thereafter. A Model 60-4 and a couple of speed loaders or speed strips and you’re good to go.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I'll throw out a less expensive option, Taurus 66, 7 shot. Adjustable sights, stainless, three to five inch, my 4" works well with 357 defense loads, is a pussycat with 38 sp std loads. Buy it is heavy. My wife's 605 is half the weight, but I sure don't like 357 defense loads in it...

Boolit Grand Master
    A 4 inch, Colt Police Positive Special Makes a dandy 38 trail gun, and weighs a bit less the either the 60-4 or the SP101. Only draw back is the narrow sights.
    Attachment 215615 These are my woods walkers. A S&W 63 in 22lr and the afore mentioned Police Positive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 001.jpg  
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    For exactly the same purpose I purchased a Ruger LCRx-3 in 38sp.+P. Unless you are dead set on .357 mag. it is worth a look. 3"bbl. adjustable sights and weighs next to nothing. I am still working up loads for it, but is seems reasonably accurate with a decent trigger.
    +1 on the LCRx3. Adjustable sights, light weight, 3" barrel, accurate and designed to take harsh conditions. Will shoot +P's longer than my pain threshold can take it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150112_221529.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	215633

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    A 4 inch, Colt Police Positive Special Makes a dandy 38 trail gun, and weighs a bit less the either the 60-4 or the SP101. Only draw back is the narrow sights.
    Attachment 215615 These are my woods walkers. A S&W 63 in 22lr and the afore mentioned Police Positive.
    Oh come on, take them out of the very nice holsters! My woods gun is a S&W M15 4" and I couldn't ask for better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Agree
    LCRx makes sense unless weight is not critical

I won't go out into the woods without my Marlin 94 44 magnum, and Pietta 1843 same caliber. Yard gun is usually my Colt Police Positive Special in 32-20. City gun is usually a 4 inch 6 shot 38 spl. I have a choice between a Ruger GP100, S&W model 64, and a Taurus 82, all perform exceptionally.

If I am concerned about weight I would just lose 10 pounds.

I’d go with the M60. It’s lighter, more than likely will have a usable trigger right out of the box, and on a personal note, just feels better in my hand. I don’t know if it’s true of all of them, but the last Ruger 101 I fondled took two thumbs to cock the hammer.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by marlin39a View Post
    I'll vote for the S&W 60, 3". I have a 60-4 with full lug, and adjustable sights. Light, easy to pack. I carry 100 gr wadcutters afield for rabbits.
    That model 60-4 is a rare bird, but not real rare. It was I believe the first of the longer frame size to accommodate the .357 only it was chambered in 38 special. One year product run in 1990.
    Last edited by Hickory; 03-03-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Bub
    I carry the SP 101 with the 4.2 in barrel. The extra weight sure helps when your shooting full house loads. A decent holster will help mitigate the few extra ozs.

I say a SP 101 .It can be use for more then one thing in my state. The only thing was wrong was the grip being not big enough for my hand.I put some parchmet grips on it and handle better for me.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    model 29 4"barrel
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy

I'm happy with my 4" SP

Boolit Master
    Only one? I've got one for every day of the week, plus holidays! What I carry is more about if I truly intend to use it. The key to if I carry just to carry is usually more about a comfortable holster than any thing else.

I'll add that if we had bears here I would have a different opinion! Anything I'm generally allowed to shoot while out walking around the woods a good .22lr will dispatch handily.
    Last edited by Thundarstick; 03-04-2018 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Addition

Boolit Master
    The S&W 60 was made in a 5" barrel, adjustable sights for a short time. That is what I would look for in an open carry wander about .357. Had a 3" airweight Model 37. I could hit 12" targets at 100 yards with it so a 3" isn't terrible but S&W over Ruger for the smooth.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm off tomorrow and plan to hit the pawn shops to see what may turn up before I buy new.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Cayton View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm off tomorrow and plan to hit the pawn shops to see what may turn up before I buy new.
    Good call.
    Take your time and don't compromise on something that is close to what you want simply because it's in the display case. There's no rush and you'll be happier in the end if you acquire what you want and not what they want to sell you.

Good Luck

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast