RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Estate find of a lifetime

Vendor Sponsor

Granville County NC by chance???
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned
    What gets me is thinking about how much of this stuff is tossed after the owner dies and none of her heirs give a darn.

Yep, that's what I hate too. Got a guy fairly close to me that my wife's friend helps out with his housekeeping. Supposedly rabid reloader with pile of supplies and many, many guns.
    None of his kids want anything. Was thinking about selling some off, but he can't bring himself to do it. Someone will get a score of a lifetime.

Boolit Master
    I'll take the first shot to be in line when your feet touch the ground again and you put a press up for karma!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I'm glad it went to someone that appreciates it. A lot of that stuff never finds a good home.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    What gets me is thinking about how much of this stuff is tossed after the owner dies and none of her heirs give a darn.
    years ago I was at the town recycle/drop off site and found a Snap On road chest tossed into the metal pile, my son and I pulled it out and it had a lot of big name tools! Just unbelievable what people toss out.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Grand Master

Great find, you hit the jack pot!
    Charter Member #148

Quite a nice find.

Boolit Master
    I have had a few of these. Once, I walked into a gun store near my son's house and they had 2 - 4' x 8' tables piled high with misc gun parts, reloading stuff, holsters, grips etc. Plus the whole bottom of the tables had boxes of stuff. It was his "make an offer" inventory.

Kiddingly, I said I'll give you a $100 for the whole bunch. At the time I was big on selling on ebay, (the good old days). To my surprise the owner said "Sold, were moving the shop".

I was driving a Dodge Durango and my two sons and I dropped the seats and loaded her up. The pile kept getting better as we got down there, 3 or 4 Garand barrels, etc.

Long story short was I stopped counting after I made about $3K selling and I still have a bunch of the reloading stuff and supplies I decided to keep.

I actually have 2 more of these stories, but don't want to bore you guys.
    Last edited by cabezaverde; 07-27-2018 at 03:00 PM.
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by cabezaverde View Post
    I have had a few of these. Once, I walked into a gun store near my son's house and they had 2 - 4' x 8' tables piled high with misc gun parts, reloading stuff, holsters, grips etc. Plus the whole bottom of the tables had boxes of stuff. It was his "make an offer" inventory.

Kiddingly, I said I'll give you a $100 for the whole bunch. At the time I was big on selling on ebay, (the good old days). To my surprise the owner said "Sold, were moving the shop".

I was driving a Dodge Durango and my two sons and I dropped the seats and loaded her up. The pile kept getting better as we got down there, 3 or 4 Garand barrels, etc.

Long story short was I stopped counting after I made about $3K selling and I still have a bunch of the reloading stuff and supplies I decided to keep.

I actually have 2 more of these stories, but don't want to bore you guys.
    Go ahead and bore us!
    Watch your back.
    Shoot Straight.
    Conserve ammo.
    Never cut a deal with a Dragon. From the Shadowrun tabletop Role Playing Game.

Boolit Master
    I really like it when good vintage gear lands in good hands instead of a scrap yard or a landfill.

I don’t have any kids to inherit my gear but I do have a nephew who I am grooming into a handloader. I have hopes for his little brother as well but he’s a long shot right now. The younger nephew is definitely a shooter but he’s too much into video games to pick up his brass.

The older brother really got it when we together shrunk his groups by 60% over his factory loads in his 300 RUM with handloads he finished under my watchful eye.

Three44s

I too feared the big dumpster --
    My daughter and son in law have promised to find a home for my stuff when that time comes -
    At my age most any time

Wow. That's impressive beyond belief.

I don't have kids so in my will, I've left everything to a buddy. He and I are about the same age, though, so it may be a race to see which of us outlives the other.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Banned
    Good points about leaving stuff to someone who will use and appreciate your years of hard accumulation. Make sure you include them in a will or give the stuff to them before you take the big mystery ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerfinger View Post
    Good points about leaving stuff to someone who will use and appreciate your years of hard accumulation. Make sure you include them in a will or give the stuff to them before you take the big mystery ride.
    This is the way I think about it. As much as possible, I plan to do exactly that. Of course, that assumes that we have a good idea that death is coming shortly but still a few weeks off.........

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master
    One of the most gratifying things that I as a bachelor ever heard was my niece, when I half jokingly said I was going to leave her a certain gun when I died, said, “Uncle Charlie, when you die there will be a lot of people fighting over your guns!” My youngest brother and both of his daughters (and at least one son in law) are all interested in guns and loading, so I think my stuff is good for at least one more generation. My youngest grand nephew is showing interest in guns already, so maybe I’ve got two more generations covered.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Super Great Find Congrats

Boolit Master

Joined the forum just so you can gloat, eh? I see how it is! Welcome aboard!

Boolit Grand Master
    You can never had to many tools.
    Great find.

Boolit Master

This thread is a year old.

One day most of our estates will be found and appreciated by someone.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast