WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: H and R 223 loads...got any

Boolit Buddy

H and R 223 loads...got any

Going down the path, well two pathes, H and R 223 heavy Barrel, 1 in 12 twist looking for a run of the mill plinker and a lighter slower 800-1000 fps to mimic 22 LR . Any and all suggestions welcome. Powder on hand varget, 4064, red dot titegroup unique Regards

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by beechbum444 View Post
    Going down the path, well two pathes, H and R 223 heavy Barrel, 1 in 12 twist looking for a run of the mill plinker and a lighter slower 800-1000 fps to mimic 22 LR . Any and all suggestions welcome. Powder on hand varget, 4064, red dot titegroup unique Regards
    Try about 4.0 grains of Red Dot under the Lee 55 grain flatnose. I get about 1100 fps out of a 24" barrel. You can work up or down but be sure that EACH one leaves the barrel before you fire the next round.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Bub
    I actually have the same rifle. If I were looking to .22LR performance, I think I would simply get a chamber adapter for .22LR.
    http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm

Boolit Grand Master

I use 2.2 gr Bullseye under 55 gr cast for 1050 fps so, with what powders you mention, I suggest 2 - 2.5 gr Red Dot.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

My low end one is 4.6 grains of Red Dot below the 55 gr Bator bullet without gas check.

I have another with gas check and more powder for a bit more speed.

But I really like the low one.

Mine is a .223 Ultra H&R it shares a receiver and case space with a 12 ga barrel. Pretty nice setup.

I had an H&R Bull Barrel Varminter several years ago, before I was re-loading. My idea was to make it a 200 yard "head shot" hog gun with steel core ammunition. After all the work and several hundred rounds of factory ammunition, I couldn't consistently get any better than 2 MOA. That was a couple of years before I started re-loading so I don't know if hand tuning loads would have really made any difference.

jd

USMC 77, USRA 79

Red Dot is the way, but be sure to weight sort any boolits if you wanna group. I use 6.1g for my Axis guns... but that is a lot more the 22lr performance... sound and feels like 22lr though.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    I too have a bull barrel H&R 223. 1 IN 9 TWIST. I do have a bator mold and think I want 850 to 1100 fps with good accuracy for a low cost low recoil training round for family. I have unique, red dot, blue dot, lil gun,5744, trailboss this is a new adventure

Boolit Buddy
    Oh and a fabulous j word load, 24.7 grains of benchmark. W or FC brass, cci 400 and either 55grain Hornady V-MAX or Sierra game king at OAL 2.260. Multiple .050 groups

Boolit Master
    I use 2.5grs Red Dot under the Lee Bator in my 22" H&R .223. I'm not sure what the velocity is, but it acts like a cross between the .22 LR and .22 Mag, closer to .22 LR. Its actually making me consider selling my .22 Mag.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Red Dot 6.6 1682 to 8.5 2022 fps

8.0gr. of Red Dot and a 55gr. FMJ is a maximum pressure load. It should be good for about 2150 fps in a 18 inch barrel, while generating around 50,000 psi.

Aug 13 2015 loaded 30 .223 55 gr bator bullet, no gas checks, 4.6 grains Red Dot. Should be just below 1400 fps.

2.5-5 grains of Red Dot should work well, especially at closer ranges.

I have found with Red Dot there are often several "nodes" where accuracy is very good on the lower end of the speed scale. Once you start pushing the speed it gets tougher to balance everything.

I did load some Hornady Jword bullets with 7.5 grains of Red Dot. Those were dang accurate, and quiet, but did hit some 5 inches below factory loads at 100.

Boolit Master
    I am interested in this too. Is it necessary to drill out the primer flash hold to prevent primer back out on these light loads? If not on the Handi, what about bolt guns in 223?

Boolit Master
    I haven’t had any problems doing this with either my Handi or my Axis, but use the Handi for cast most of the time.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Banned

The .22 LR drought got me to looking at other things and was what got me into casting for the .22 Hornet, I bought a Hornet specifically to do that. In retrospect, I might have done better trying to do it with my .223. My old Savage 110 has the slow twist of the day and I bet would work well with cast.

I've yet to drill out a primer hole, and I see no primer backout with my loads.

Go below 3 and you might.

Boolit Master

I had an H&R heavy barrel 223. That gun loved 50gr Nosler BT's over IMR 3031. Best group I ever shot was 5 in less than .300. It amazed me that a rifle that cost me under $200 shot that well.