RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Crimped 38 Special Primers

Boolit Master

Crimped 38 Special Primers

I picked up about 150 Federal .38 Special cartridge cases at the gun club today. Later I started to pop out the old primers prior to tumbling the cases. On the 1st case I noticed a lot of resistance to the primer coming out. I looked at the primer pocket and saw that it had a crimp ring. All the cases are Federal with identical head stamps and cannelures in the same spot. The only difference is the crimp ring on about 2/3 of the cases.

My question is has anyone else run into crimped primers in .38 Special cases? I can't see the point in it. I've picked up a lot of Federal 9mm cases that appear to be commercial ammo that have crimped primer pockets. I can understand 9mm but not the .38s.

Have any of you run into this?
    Chuck

Super Moderator

I've seen a lot them, but not recently. I used to get quite a bit of WCC 38 special brass that was ring crimped. I just run them through the Dillon 600 and they are good to go.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    With the USAF PGU/12-B load of the Vietnam era there were issues with primers backing out against the recoil plate, causing hard cylinder rotation. Crimping the primers mitigated that. Some Q4070 +P+ treasury loads were also done this way.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

WCC 38 brass made in the 80’s has so small of a crimp that I can just deprime and prime normally. LC 38 special brass is heavily crimped of which one need to remove the crimp in order to prime.

Boolit Master
    As mentioned already, the primers are crimped in to prevent them from backing out when the round is fired. Maybe it doesn't happen that often, but I notice some cases being easier to prime than others are. So there may be something to it. Thus it improves reliability.

I've had both LC and WCC .38 Special cases with crimped primers. Preventing primers from backing out isn't a big deal on the range, but is when the shooting gets serious.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy

Some non-toxic ammo (lead free primers) are crimped in place, PMC silver for one. Not crimped as much as military primers but enough to be a PITA to reprime.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have led a sheltered life. I have never run into a crimped .38 Spl case. But in the last dozen years, I have only loaded them on a 1050, so I may have got some and not even realize it.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Thanks for the replies. I have never run into crimped primers in .38 Special cases before this. I still have some military head stamp cases from the mid 60s that I got once fired that weren't crimped.

I thought about this being non-toxic ammo. I wish I'd found the boxes too. I'll look in the trash barrel if I get back to the club in the next day or so.

I haven't bought a box of factory .38 SPLs since about 1970 but I've acquired a lot of used cases since then and these are new to me.
    Chuck

Boolit Master
    This is just something I've heard but I thought that Federal was crimping all their primers now. I pick up range brass and any new FC is crimped. .30-06, .308, .30-30, all of it.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    This is just something I've heard but I thought that Federal was crimping all their primers now. I pick up range brass and any new FC is crimped. .30-06, .308, .30-30, all of it.
    That's because they quit "pre-pocketing" their rifle cases so the heads are soft and the brass mostly NG for reloading anyway, their .30-'06 primer pockets loose enough to possibly cause slamfires in a Garand even once-fired...so crimping keeps the primers from dropping out and discourages reloading so they are less likely to get sued by selling lousy brass.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    That's because they quit "pre-pocketing" their rifle cases so the heads are soft and the brass mostly NG for reloading anyway, their .30-'06 primer pockets loose enough to possibly cause slamfires in a Garand even once-fired...so crimping keeps the primers from dropping out and discourages reloading so they are less likely to get sued by selling lousy brass.
    LOL not very accurate imo, but funny!