WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: 1943 h&r 999 sportsmouth new in the box

1943 h&r 999 sportsmouth new in the box

I was in my LGS picking up some goodies when I saw an obviously older (but in almost perfect shape) blue box with a black and white end label on the shelf back behind the register. Being the lover of guns in their original boxes, I asked what that was. I am a collector and very familiar with boxes for S&W's, Colts and High Standards from about 1920's onward. I had never seen that kind of box before.
    He handed it to me and said that "...this just came in. We took it in trade." I looked at the label and saw "22 on the left side and 6 on the right side with Harrington Richardson Arms Co. and under that is "SPORTSMAN".
    I carefully opened the box and there sat a pristine unfired H&R 999 Sportsman 6" 22 double action adjustable sights revolver. It had the original wax paper and the brochure.
    The first thing I thought of was H&R is not one of the highest quality gun makers out there but I have to say I was very surprised at the workmanship and quality of this gun. Oh...and the box is original and in great shape.
    I knew it was certainly collectible and worth every penny they asked for it. If it turned out to be one of 1,367,423 produced I would just use it for trading material or shoot the daylights out of it. It was THAT good of a quality gun. I needed a 22 revolver anyway.....or so I told myself.
    They wanted $300 for it and I put it on lay away on the spot. Never quibbled on the price. I took the serial number with me, and started to do some research.
    The 999 Sportsman was the top-of-the-line handgun H&R made. H&R was better known for making those $3.00 handguns you bought in the hardware store. They made a lot of decent serviceable handguns that were sold cheap.
    I found out the serial number puts it right in the 1943 production, but apparently there were not all that many civilian guns made by H&R during that time because they did a lot of military gun production for WW2.
    The box is original and is numbered to the gun. The sights are adjustable. The cylinder has the last 3 numbers stamped on it. I am dying to take off the grips and see if they might be numbered to the gun also. The one-piece walnut grips are checkered on the sides and back strap.
    I have to say I would really LOVE to shoot this but my collector's conscience says no. But then I can shoot, take care of it, clean it, never holster it, store it properly and it will not wear out. Plus I can always get my money back in trade or sales.
    Can anyone provide an opinion as to value? On GB, there is an engraved limited production 999 made in the 90's going for almost a grand. Hey...if this is worth that kind of money it is OUTA HERE!
    I don't love it all THAT Much.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

You didn’t overpay for that gun. It’s hard to find one of those used under $300. These need a little more care of operation than a single action 22. Open the action with fired empties and the barrel facing towards the sky so the unburned powder falls out rather then get stuck under the extractor. Clean the chambers well ( the cylinder comes off easy for cleaning) and under the extractor. Don’t snap the action close one handed. These can be a bit more finicky with what ammo functions best, when you find it, stick with it. That’s it, shoot it and enjoy it.

It's a true classic, enjoy it. Ours dates from the 60s and we love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In my opinion you got a deal.

The 999 Sportsman was head & shoulders above the remainder of the H&R line.

My 1st. handgun was a 999 in '54. I was 15 (back then it was no big thing........we knew if we didn't use it wisely out behinds would be hurting).

Mine was stolen in '62.

I'd like to have another in good condition (I didn't care for the later edition with the faux vent rib).

Henry