RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hard to find rifle barrels available

Hard to find rifle barrels available

I noticed these Heym rifle barrels available through Numrich about a month or so ago.
    I was going to order a few then but sometimes need to wait a while and see if it makes sense a week or so later instead of ordering and not needing anything but buying because of the low price.
    When they first listed them there were 4 pages of them and now it's down to 3 so they are selling. At first they had some cool odd ball calibers like 470 NE and 500 NE. but they are gone now. They still have several in 9.3 cal. one is chambered for 9.3 X 62 and one that is unchambered.
    Heym is a high end gunmaker so I assume these would be hi quality barrels and they have them in both bolt action types with large diameter barrel shanks that could be rethreaded for other bolt guns and chambered and unchambered blanks for projects that can used as a liner or for what ever you can use them for.
    I ended up ordering 2 blanks that were tapered for a SXS double rifle and were turned to .43 OD from a little ways past the chamber swell. They are to thin to use as a barrel for most rifles but I thought they may work as a liner in a 410 as they are real close to the right diameter already and would save me HOURS of turning a larger blank or take off barrel plus the bore should be more stable to stay at the proper size compared to turning a blank down that thin and having the bore open up.

Currently Numrich is offering free shipping on orders over $ 75 but on barrel blanks it cost you $ 1.00 shipping each because of the size or length they always get you for a extra buck on barrels.

So if your in the market for a barrel for a project take a look at these while they have them as I have found many times before that if you put off buying say for a year or 6 months they will be gone. I know it has happened to me many times with Green Mountain barrels, several years ago they had blanks listed in all sorts of calibers and hard to find styles and I thought they would have them forever and found out different.

Sorry I don't have a link to the website, Go to Numrich, search rifle barrels, click on barrel blanks.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 02-28-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Boolit Master
    I don't know how many barrels you bought from them but I would not recommend to a friend to buy a barrel there. They get the seconds and the replaced junk laying in the corners. I bought alot of barrels from there and all of them had some type of issue that i would have been better served by purchasing new. Have you had good luck with their barrels?
    Look twice, shoot once.

nekshot, I have bought probably a dozen barrels from them over the last 40 + years and have only had to send back junk once. I bought 2 barrel blanks in .458 bore to make a double rifle with and they were " Numrich " brand blanks and when I got them I tried cleaning them as the bore looked terrible just looking down the bore with my eye. I tried to see if it was crud or corrosion but there was no shine and with a cotton patch you could feel the roughness just pushing a dry patch thru them.
    I have had to send back parts that were the wrong models or not what was advertised and that is frustrating.
    I know very little about Heym guns other than what I seen on there websites. The barrels are cold hammer forged and in the white so I will see what I bought when I get them the ( 2 ) I bought.

It will be quite a while before I get to using them for what Ihad planned for them but when I get them I will inspect the bores and I may Chuck one up to indicate the OD to see how concentric the OD is to the bore and can report here what I find.
    I just thought I would post about them because of the many available sizes and even shotgun barrels and combination gun barrels for low prices.

Jedman

I have one barrel from them that I chambered to 30-30 and it's great. I would buy a Heym barrel; I've shot two of their rifles and they were fine. I have heard the bad barrel stories too, mostly .444 & 45-70 barrels for Rolling Blocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I was looking at one of those numeric tubes in 22 hornet real serious like. I think I might go ahead and just buy it.

Heym is a very high-quality maker. Back in the day, they made very nice Mauser action sporters for Montgomery Ward under the Western Field name. They also made the modern Mauser model 2000 rifle in the 1970s.
    Thomas

I received my barrels yesterday and overall think they are nicely made. The blanks I bought were short chambered in 308 Win. and my plan was to cut the chambered end down and rechamber to 32 H&R Mag and try to turn them in to a liner barrel that would be used in the Yildiz 410.
    These Heym barrels were made to be used as the top barrel on a O/U combination gun and full length soldered to a rib to support and stiffen them.
    They are hammer forged and look to have a very smooth interior bore finish and the OD almost looks to be OD ground but I think it is just the natural smooth finish from the hammer forging.
    They are extremely thin being .430 on the OD and having a .308 bore so they only have about a .055 thick wall. Of course the chamber end and for about 7" forward they are larger diameter, I put both of them between centers in my lathe and indicated along the small diameter while turning at 60 rpm and one had only .006 movement and the other had about .025 and they are flexible as a wet noodle.
    To be able to machine these will be a challenge , I may be better to ream the 410 shotguns bore to allow these to fit then try to cut these any thinner.

After reading on the internet how so many people's ideas of how very few rifle barrels are trually straight but still shoot respectable makes me confident that I can get one of these installed in the lightweight Yildiz 410 barrel and become a decently accurate small game rifle.
    If this experiment doesn't work well I will try stubbing the other Yildiz 410 I bought with a heavier barrel or just enjoy it as a shotgun.

Jedman

Boolit Mold
    I bought a fair # of those Heym barrels. They are very good barrels at a very good price, but VERY limited in usability. The bolt action barrels are for the Heym bolt action and straight pull rifles that had excellent reputations for accuracy. The shanks are 25mm with a fine 1mm or 1.25mm pitch if I remember right. Too bad as if they had been 1.5mm they would have screwed right onto any Tikka action. I have chambered two so far and used them on Howa Mini actions. One a 22 Grendel and the other a 6mm Grendel. The 22 seems to shoot 1/2 MOA pretty easy but fouled a bit initially. Haven't shot the 6mm yet. The interior of the bores are very good. VERY even, consistent rifling and a fine crosshatch pattern where they were honed before hammer forging. That is one step none of the US manufacturers take and it shows in the quality. Some of the blanks I got came in stainless, others were a chrome moly. If it says 'ROSTFRIE' on the end, its stainless.

I have new Numrich's 4 inch thick new catalog, I'm going to see if I can find them in there. You have my interest on this project!

Msalm, You are correct that the bolt gun blanks have a small shank and would be to small for many bolt actions to use for a rebarrel. They will work for many single shots and most lever actions. You may not be able to use them in the hi pressure chamberings that Heym intended them for.
    I did turn one of them to use in a 410 and need to trim the chamber end back about 1 5/8" from being a 308 Win. to rechamber to 32 H&R Mag. the barrel will finish to approx. 22".
    I included a pic of the top blank the way it came and the one below is turned to fit the 410 in the pic.

Jedman. By the way I seen that this is your first post on Cast Boolits, Welcome and post about some of your projects.

That is going to be a dandy rifle. Pretty wood on that Yildiz. I'm having too much fun with mine as a shotgun( for now)

Boolit Mold
    These barrels are keepers IMO. The 22 Grendel started as a 223 unchambered and i turned the tenon threads off and shortened the length then threaded for a Howa Mini. It’s shooting 50gr Barnes TTSX at 3500 and I blooded it last weekend on a 120ish lb hog at 189 yards...DRT. The 6mm Grendel started out as a 243 chambered blank and I had to cut the chamber end off to where the reamer would clean up everything. Unfortunately a friend was intrigued by this rifle more than I and I didn’t get to play with it at all. I have another blank and another Howa Mini waiting to be brought together though and i’ll Get my chance to play. The bores on these blanks are exceptional IMO. I did lap the 243 before chambering just because and it was very even. Took all of a dozen passes for the honing marks to disappear and I was left with a surface finish as good as any custom hand-lapped barrel. Anyway, selection is minimal on what’s left and I am wishing I could buy more!

I spotted Savage 30-30 blanks in the GPC catalog. $24.50!
    24"x .710"x.550"-nothing wrong with a Savage barrel.

I have bought the 45/70 kits for RBs and 38/55 barrels for 94 Wins with no complaints.