MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1st Black Powder Cartridge Rifle, 45-120 Pedersoli Sharps

Boolit Buddy
    When I was competing in BPCR matches, I ended up wiping between shots. I found it actually faster than blow-tubing, more consistent and not that hard to equip yourself for. I used pre-moistened patches with water soluble oil and water as my solvent and a flexible rod fitted to my bore. I used a blow tube for many years, but changed over at the end. Blow tube just has a lot of variables that are hard to control, like heat and humidity, time pressure and the shooter's hydration. Maybe a tempest in a teapot, but I was surprised at how fast you can actually get a patch down the barrel and back in position.

Banned

yep, with the right tools and setup wiping is fast, and is far more consistent than blowing. using bore wipers makes it even faster and a one wipe deal as yer both wetting and drying at the same time. a wet bore wipe (water only, no need for oils and such) and a dry patch taken out of a patch popper = fast and sure.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    There must be something to the water and other stuff mix, given the number of top shooters who consistently place in the top 5 at major matches , using oil/water, Mpro7, murphy's soap oil, etc to wet their patches, borepigs etc in.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I was often educated to the term "shooting wet" when I was growing up. It applies to a technique for both muzzleloaders and BPCR guns. With a muzzleloader you run a damp patch down the bore after each shot and leave 'wet' then the new powder is seated in place using a long brass drop tube. With BPCR, run a damp patch through after each shot then chamber the next round leaving the bore 'wet'.

I use this method on all my rifles and get consistant accuracy. The 38/55 with it's 375gn boolit is so tight that it won't chamber the next round without wiping.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    There must be something to the water and other stuff mix, given the number of top shooters who consistently place in the top 5 at major matches , using oil/water, Mpro7, murphy's soap oil, etc to wet their patches, borepigs etc in.
    some of this stuff is just monkey see, monkey do. i know of one national shooter wiping with plain water. test out all the flavors and do what appears to work best.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123