Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionPBcastcoWideners
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fun old singleshots?

Banned

I was in a gun shop yesterday that had a good condition Winchester 67 for about $170. Is that about right for one nowadays? Nice rifle.

Boolit Mold
    I cannot pass buy any kind of old 22 single shot without buying it. really like the old ones, have 2 old stevens favorites, Winchester 1904 and 67, Remington 510 and #2 rolling block, Anschutz 1361 garden rifle, and a few old wards western fields. these are some fun guns to shoot, real simple and very high quality for what they cost back then.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 1904 22LRbs  12-17-2016.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	219864

I got this old savage single shot out of the junk pile at a pawn shop.
    But on line, some Savage collectors were impressed, as they are hard to find.

Banned
    Back around 1960 my grandfather was given a single shot 22LR as a thank you for your hard work by the local threshing crew. The thresher was replaced by a combine the following year. I now have the rifle. It's marked Hawthorne, Montgomery Wards, but it is a Colteer.

Ken

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by avogunner View Post
    Ithaca M-49 since Christmas 1973 (I was 12). Untold # of rimfires shot in the "holler" and still regularly shot. Actually had it out a couple of weeks ago playing around.....man, that's a fun little rifle and it always brings back great memories!
    +1! My first firearm used was an Ithica! Loved it! Never saw another one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fairlane View Post
    This rifle came to me from a gent in Arizona.....did yours go out west?

This rifle is heavy but way to much fun to shoot

Aaron
    Bought it in Yuma, but traded it off in Birch Run, Mi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    A fine, vintage, Savage Model 3D from around 1949. Learned to shoot with it. Walnut and steel.

Many memories,

Regards,

Dyson

Banned

Looked at a Savage 120A in a shop today. Rifle looked new. Asking price is $100. I liked it and was surprised it was grooved for tip off mounts. It's one that has no safety, you have to pull back the cocking piece when you're ready to shoot.

Anybody know about these?

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    Back around 1960 my grandfather was given a single shot 22LR as a thank you for your hard work by the local threshing crew. The thresher was replaced by a combine the following year. I now have the rifle. It's marked Hawthorne, Montgomery Wards, but it is a Colteer.

Ken
    Wow! Thrashing(local pronunciation) gang in 1960. Was it steam yet, or belt off a tractor. In SE Michigan virtually every one was using either a pull type combine or a self propelled. My dad was using a 1956 Massey Harris SP80. That's what I learned on. It had be an Allis Chalmers pull type before that.

Still like Winchester M-67, (keeping thread on track.....)

Super Moderator

..............Picked up the Winchester M67A at a local indoor range for $225. It's in at least VG condition with a mirror bore. According to details, it was built in 1936. It has 2 common hiccups. It was D&T'd for a sidesaddle scope mount at some point, and the bolt handle was filed and polished to clear it. It is a very fine shooting rifle for what it is, and it's intended market. Quality was simply 'There' in those days, but $5 really WAS $5 in the 30's

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Nice rifle, those early stocks wernt as fat as the later ones. Do you have the cocking knob assembly, seems to be missing in the pictures?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Years ago I bought my boys a Daisy .22 rimfire s/s. The buttstock is adjustable for LOP and it was scary accurate. I believe all of the boys possessed it at one time or another, handing it down as they got something different. The thing looks like a bolt action pellet rifle, plastic stock and all, but is a .22 rimfire.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    Anyone else have a Winchester M47, its a single shot version of the 69A. Last of the "fine old single shots" that Winchester did as field guns. My opinion ,FWIW anyway. Slick gun, full size and the safety is "automatic" , mine is a very good shooter.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I hit a penny at 15 yards the other day with the 510 Remington. Now if I can find the coin in the grass......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I hit a penny at 15 yards the other day with the 510 Remington. Now if I can find the coin in the grass......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Walk around barefoot, you'll find it!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    While not "old", my grandpa was gifted a Savage Cricket that was a little worse for wear. I took it home, stripped the crinkle finish, polished the rust spots and refinished it. Came with a nice set of peep sights and the bore was pretty good. He's happy with it. Pretty accurate for such a short rifle/odd fit for adults.

I've a Mauser 'Trainer' .22LR that was a victim of Katrina. The finish was badly pitted, and the wood was mildewed black.
    I tried bleaching out the wood, even using some strong chlorine to no avail.
    I ended up bead blasting and parkerizing the metal, and coating the stock with truck bed liner.
    The bore is perfect, thanks to a neglectful owner who never cleaned it.
    It's a great shooter, capable of more accuracy than I can wring out of it.

Name:	IMG_20140829_1807179971_zpse45ed716.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	222096

Name:	IMG_20140829_1810217841_zps3083f673.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	298.9 KB 
ID:	222097

Name:	IMG_20140829_1810339371_zps79660eb5.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	222098

Name:	IMG_20141001_1707376841_zps0787910e.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	222099

Name:	IMG_20141008_152517104_HDR1_zps715c6830.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	222100

Name:	IMG_20141008_1524416921_zpscff68433.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	222101

Name:	IMG_20141008_1524457551_zps40e45ae0.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	222102

Name:	IMG_20141008_1525098171_zps4aab90b1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	222103
    Last edited by dbmjr1; 06-14-2018 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Add some pictures

Banned

I just picked up a nice Winchester Model 67 this afternoon for $100 out the door. I shot it a little offhand at 25 yards this evening and it groups well, but high and right. I'll need to round up a taller front sight as the rear sight is as low as it can go, but that's easy enough. I like this little rifle.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    Nice rifle, those early stocks wernt as fat as the later ones. Do you have the cocking knob assembly, seems to be missing in the pictures?
    HA! Yes it does. This was the evening of the day I'd picked it up and had it all apart cleaning and checking it out. Wanted to get some pics, but wasn't ready to put it all back together yet.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Both my 67s shoot hi with hv ammo. Both will shoot subsonics just above the front sight with the rear elevator removed. Put it in a safe place, they are sneeky and will hide from you

100$ is a good buy, i gave 50 for one 15 years ago and 200$ for a pristine finger groove almost 10 years ago, good deal!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast