PBcastcoWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fun old singleshots?

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    @ Texas by God
    Since that is going to be Passed Down, then it is worth only doing Minimal restoration.
    Let the next generation see what it was like Back In The Day.
    The ones I end up with have no Family ties or really no collectors Value.
    So I have no issues with making them into a better more dependable rifle than you can buy today.
    Exactly. Now the store has a Marlin 99M2 for $100. That's going to be hard to reist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    IMHO Buy it.
    I had one, and wish I had never sold it.
    A little short for me, but the one I had killed many a Jack Rabbit up to 100 yards with open sights

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fairlane View Post
    Not real old (1982) but a lot of fun 64 action anschutz metallic silhouette......9 oz trigger, perfectly balanced.....

My old squirrel gun!
    (Got heavy!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Cut teeth on an Ithica 49. Must have sent a thousand rounds through it in the short time I used it. If I could see it, I could hit it! Never saw one for sale anywhere.

I have a Sears / Ted Williams lever action single shot that is the same gun as the Ithica M 49 except it doesn't have the fake mag tube. I just added a 2 1/2 X scope mounted ahead of the action because I can't see iron sights anymore it is very accurate as in 5 shots in to 5/8" at 50 yards with cheap ammo. I only wish my grandkids ( 5 ) had a little interest in guns as the oldest is now 26 and is very Liberal and doesn't understand my passion for guns and hunting.
    I love most all guns but have a real interest in single shots,these days the hunt for something new is like a hunt. shooting a accurate single shot is about as good as it gets.

Jedman

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    My old squirrel gun!
    (Got heavy!)

This rifle came to me from a gent in Arizona.....did yours go out west?

This rifle is heavy but way to much fun to shoot

Aaron

Boolit Master
    A friend found a Savage Anshutz in a dumpster behind his apartment complex.
    It was missing the firing pin and it was totally dis assembled.
    He did find all the other pieces like the rear sight.
    I was able to make him the firing pin and refinish the whole rifle.
    That is a tack driver.
    That was one he almost gave me because we couldn't find a firing pin anywhere.
    But once I got the pin made, and test fired it, he thought twice ,and decided to get it cleaned up .
    He is still shooting it in competitions for the past ten years or so.

In a dumpster? Omg that is a sin in my world.......those are wonderfull rifles.....glad he saved it.......

Boolit Master
    I think he said, An old guy who lived there, moved into a nursing home, and his family threw out a lot of his stuff like the rifle, because it didn't work.

I'd be a proud dumpster diver for any gun but especially that!

Boolit Bub
    My first rifle was a Savage-Stevens Model 74 (favorite style), I used it, my brother used it then I got it back and my three kids used it and it is my wife's favorite rifle. The other night my son was in the basement cutting cards (25 feet maybe) with 22 cb shorts i grabbed it and first try I cut a card in two (I've learned years ago when freak shots happen and when they do quit, so I did).

Winchester Model 60A. Mostly this one is all nostalgia. 4 generations of us have used it. Many a tin can, pop bottle, rabbit, and squirrel met it's fate downrange from this rifle.

My grandfather bought it new for a couple of bucks back in the 1930s. My father learned to shoot with it in the late 40s. I learned to shoot with it in the late 70s. My older kids learned on it in the naughties.
    Flat end of the barrel was starting to look fairly awful at the lands where they just looked worn down. I hadn't shot it in a couple of years and when I did this winter, it was pretty poor.
    Front sight is getting ragged looking as well.

Took it to the local looks-too-****-young gunsmith and he put a target crown on it for me. The lovely reddish/rusty patina now has this weird looking bright steel end I need to figure out how to hide.
    (I'm open to suggestions)

Shoot a dream again. Now our youngest (10+ years younger than the rest, oops) will learn on it.

For single shots I prefer my Anschutz 1903, but that weighs a ton. Too much for kids to haul around but it will shoot the nuts off a fly if you can see it.
    I also have an old H&R handi in .22 hornet I used to love. that thing is fairly accurate, but the **** ammo is a pain to reload and factory is $$$.
    Last edited by squidtamer; 04-04-2018 at 04:38 PM. Reason: forgot how we used to go rabbit hunting and it's what I used.

Sqidtamer- use Birchwood Casey Plum Brown to cover that fresh muzzle. It will blend with the patina better than cold blue.

The first brand new .22 I ever bought with my own money ($20), was a Remington single shot 514. Still have it and it has accounted for more squirrels than I'm able to count. It's in good shape with a pristine bore and still accurate. It does need a stock refinish and it wouldn't hurt the barrel to be reblued.
    Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

I started on a very early Winchester 67. It was a group buy by my dad and his two brothers when they first came out. Stayed at the grandparents farm when they moved out. Still remember my grandmother complaining about her failing eyesight when she missed a woodchuck by the barn. She wasn't happy that she was going to have to use the 16 gauge shotgun to get the woodchucks from then on. And she did.

Rifle is now with my nephew, dad's youngest grandson. The rat stepped in, asked Dad for it before he died. It was the only thing I had instructions on from my dad on who got what. Talking to him after dad died, he commented that he had been pricing model 67's because he figured I was getting dad's. I thought he was going to get up and dance on the table when I told him he got the rifle and I was the one that had to buy my own. Dang rat kid

Get a 67, you won't reget it and there are still parts readily available.

I've had 3 different Winchester 67s over the years, one scoped/suppressed, one stock and one boys rifle.
    Loved all of them but let them all go as they didn't suit me for hunting.
    But I have often looked at the design of it and wondered if it could work with a .17HMR or even upscale and made for a .22Hornet.
    They're just so light, accurate and handy to shoot
    There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.
    – P. J. O’Rourke

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem510restoreDSCF0018small.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	217895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rem510restoreDSCF0016.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	217896

My little brother was born in 1959
    In 1972 he negotiated with the other little neighbor kids for a Remington 510 single shot for $7.
    The butt had a lot of material cut off and the rear sight was missing. But the front sight was a Lyman hooded with a peep installed.

My brother learned how to weld and made a rear sight for it.
    In 1984 I was 33 years old and could hit a nail at 100' or a great horned owl at 275'.
    My eyes gave out when I got to be 40.

In 2000 I was 49 and he was 41 in the above picture. We drilled and tapped for Weaver bases.
    We glued some Walnut on the butt and sanded it off.

My little brother is 59 now, and was out shooting pigeons with a Remington speedmaster today. He still has the old Rem 510, 46 years later.

Banned
    When my son was about 4 years old (he is 29 now) I was at a gun show and found an old Savage 3D single shot.

It was in great shape and the bore was perfect. I paid $39 dollars for it. It is the gun that he learned on. He still has it.

We shoot together twice a month and sometimes he brings it out. I have to admit it, that rifle is fun to shoot and very accurate.

I taught him the basics of elevation and ranging when he was about 9 or 10. At the outdoor range we go to there is a manhole cover leaning against a tree at 350 yards. I told him to pick a spot up the tree and fire. If the bullet is low then raise higher on the tree. Once you hit, remember the spot on the tree where you aimed and stay there.

The older guys always got a kick out of a little kid hitting the manhole cover with a 22.

Good times.

Boolit Master

Ithaca M-49 since Christmas 1973 (I was 12). Untold # of rimfires shot in the "holler" and still regularly shot. Actually had it out a couple of weeks ago playing around.....man, that's a fun little rifle and it always brings back great memories!

I am rather fond of the old 22 single shots, in fact most all single shots --- Some of my "boys" rifles are more projects than shooters though --

Stevens 414 armory model, rem #4 take down, and Paige-lewis targeter are in excellent shape and decent shooters -

Stevens Marksman, favorite, and crackshot are operational but not tack drivers -- Maynard junior is a wall hanger and 25rf favorite is a project -

chev williams has made some suggestion for resurrecting the 25rf which i may try --

plenty yo keep an old guy busy --

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast