Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2PBcastco
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Fun old singleshots?

Boolit Master
    I'm a fan of the little single shot .22's and I have a number, and have had a bunch more. I need to get photos of my mossberg model 35, it's a neat little rig.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Quote Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
    I'm a fan of the little single shot .22's and I have a number, and have had a bunch more. I need to get photos of my mossberg model 35, it's a neat little rig.
    I sure would like to have a Mossberg model L rifle. I found one on Gunbroker once and it went for over 1 K, that's about 3 times what they are listed as being worth in VG condition.

Jedman

Boolit Master
    I have two Winchesters, one a 67 and one a 67A along with a Springfield 15, and a Sears Ranger 103-8
    I have had many others like Savage, Anschutz and Marlins over the years.
    But I have found that they all shoot about the same depending on their condition.
    But Price wise, the Store Brands like the Ranger, J C Higgins Etc shoot just as good as the same rifle made buy the Parent companies like Marlin, or Savage under the Trade Name, for a lot less money.
    And parts are still available if you can look up who the original manufacture and model number.
    Most of the ones I have acquired thru the years, I got for only a few dollars or for Free in not so pristine condition.
    But once rebuilt, they were fine shooters, and for not that much in parts to get them running again.
    Most of the rifles that I got for a good price , were rebuilt and then sold off to friends that had a kid turning about 8 or 10 and they wanted something cheap , but accurate to teach their kids to shoot safely.
    Now at 8 or 10 the kids are wanting their first computer, and think they know how to shoot from some video game.
    Here are some pic's of the Ranger going thru some modifications
    Last edited by LAGS; 03-11-2018 at 12:55 PM.

Boolit Buddy

Iv'e been wanting one of the crickets and take it and restock it for a big kid(adult old fart), I think they would be fun.
    We were brothers then, we are brothers now, we are brothers forever. Currahee

Boolit Master
    @ whtsmoke
    I did a stock for a Cricket out of wood with a pistol grip and an Adult LOP.
    It was a cute Short Truck gun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    What I find interesting is when at the range with the grandkids and their single shots ( a stevens crackshot and a rem rolling block) how many of the old timers come up and watch quietly till a cease fire then ask to look at them. I often here stories of my first rifle or using one at grandpas or other realatives and many memories. We usually offer to let them fire a few rounds for "old times" sake. The look on their faces and the sparkle in their eyes makes it well worth the few rounds of 22 lr.
    The numbers of these rifles made isn't as impressive as the number of memories that come out when you get one out. Wonder How many started out with one
    Love that glossy eyed look to, don't see it as much anymore. Got a few single shots mostly cooeys the standard issue working single shots around here. Model 39s and 75s the most common. Had a rem 513 or 514 for a while never could keep up to any of my cooeys. Anshutz made a nice single shot sporter some sold under the CIL brand, hardly see them around anymore. Recently I got a stevens favorite, what a neat little rifle!! Showed it to a few of my so called friends, still getting offers and advice like "you don't need that you should sell it to me" I laugh.
    But my favorite are the old simple martini single shots and military trainers.
    Be safe
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy
    Took my old 55 Winchester out of the case and noticed the Bakelite top cover (only piece of the gun not made of steel or walnut) was cracked.
    Ordered a new aluminum one from Jack First and got it in less than a week. It looks great and can't wait to get out and shoot it this weekendClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20180313_182425.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	216542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180313_182425.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	216542
    Last edited by ravelode; 03-16-2018 at 09:19 PM. Reason: addemdum

Boolit Buddy

LAGS If you have a picture I would like to see it, this might just be a summer project in between everything else lol.

Boolit Master
    I do not have a picture of the Cricket.
    But I made a similar stock for Armoredmans CZ 527 and a couple of Mosin Nagants Like this one

Boolit Master

I have an old Daisy 22 pellet gun with a nice wood stock that is comfortable that I would like to copy and put on a Crickett now that the idea has been mentioned. When I get some time.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy

i think people like boyds sell stocks that arent inletted and it wouldnt take much to do it since its just a single shot, this is getting better by the minute. The next time academy sports runs these on sale i am picking one up.

Boolit Master

Stevens 414! One of my favorites, and also super accurate!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	153559255.3fEst2Gg.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	216536

Ithica M 49, my first rifle i got her about 40 years ago. that rifle has made more gophers into good gophers than i can count. taught my sons to shoot with her and now she is teaching nephews and grand kids to shoot.
    Giving money and power to Government, is like giving Whiskey and Car Keys to teenage boys!!!!

REMEMBER,,, Boys and Girls,,, An EMPTY gun is just an ugly club!!!!

Boolit Master
    @ whtsmoke.
    That Mosin Nagant stock is made out of 1x6 Poplar planks that are glued together.
    It was made as a Pattern to use on a duplicating machine.
    But the guy who had the duplicator moved to the other side of the country.
    So , I just painted the stock with Black Wrinkle paint, and started using it on that rifle.
    But the others I made after that like the one for the Cricket were made out of a solid piece of wood.
    So Experimenting with cheaper woods like Poplar is a way to try different configurations and learn to do the inletting.
    The stock was all cut out by hand ( no band saw ) and shaped with a wood rasp and sandpaper.
    Maple Planks that you can get at Home Depot or Lowes work well too and make a good looking stock.

I got this one cheap, it needs TLC and a buttplate. I can't wait to try it out.
    Remington model 510 Targetmaster as mentioned in the op.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I have been searching the web without even thinking about the people who make the Crickett as they have an adult version and you can buy the stock for like 60 bucks, still not the same as a home creation though. I will have to look through my wood stash from my days of working at Paxton hardwoods.

Boolit Buddy
    I hardly ever see a good single shot .22 anyplace these days, cheap or otherwise. Thirty or forty years ago they were dime a dozen. Where did they all go?

Boolit Master
    @ whtsmoke.
    I was at the range one day shooting that Mosin Nagant, and two guys were shooting stock M N's next to me.
    They said they liked the feel of the stock, and wanted to know if I could build them the same stocks for their rifles.
    They said they owned a Hardwood floor company and would bring me the Wood planks milled to 5/8" thickness.
    So I built one guys stock out of Dark Walnut, and the other out of Cherry.
    One of them was really tall and had arms like a gorilla, so I made that stock longer for him.
    The other guy was left handed.
    So I built the stock with the wrist clearance relief reversed, so it was a Left handed stock, on a right handed action.
    They were both thrilled with the fit of the rifle.
    So making your own stock has many more benefits over just buying one off the rack.
    I included pictures of the Left handed Walnut stock and the Longer Cherry Wood stock, so you dont think I am F.O.S.

@ Texas by God
    That is in a whole lot better condition then the ones I find at yard sales , or that people Give me because other gunsmiths have told them they Aint worth Fixin'.
    Usually old single shots were their or their kids first rifles, then they ended up out in a barn or under the front seat of a pickup, getting all banged up and neglected.
    Are you going to refinish it , or leave it alone since it looks like it still functions ?
    Last edited by LAGS; 03-17-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Lags- I checked bore condition and bolt wear and that's very good. The metal is salt & pepper patina but no pitting. You can see the worst of the stock damage in the pic. I would like to brown the steel and steam &sand the stock for a light oil finish. Then it wll resemble dad's old 511 Scoremaster- the one I learned on. My first grandson should be born in two weeks so I'll evaluate it for a decade or so!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    @ Texas by God
    Since that is going to be Passed Down, then it is worth only doing Minimal restoration.
    Let the next generation see what it was like Back In The Day.
    The ones I end up with have no Family ties or really no collectors Value.
    So I have no issues with making them into a better more dependable rifle than you can buy today.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast